Author Thread: What is courting?
Obediencetotheword

View Profile
History
What is courting?
Posted : 9 Apr, 2018 04:58 PM

When a man says he is looking for a marriage partner, does that mean he is ready to court a woman? What is courting? How different is it from dating?

View Profile
History
What is courting?
Posted : 12 Apr, 2018 03:23 AM

I'm not a guy but I just like to answer this, since there's no guy answering it .

courting is when you have the intention to marry the girl and dating is you're going out with someone and getting to know each other.

View Profile
History
What is courting?
Posted : 13 Apr, 2018 01:11 AM

Exactly. What she said ^

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
What is courting?
Posted : 13 Apr, 2018 12:27 PM

Courting is dating with intention and not just wasting time.

Obediencetotheword

View Profile
History
What is courting?
Posted : 13 Apr, 2018 12:27 PM

Are men more into dating than courting? In dating, I guess you go out with many women and then choose from them, while courting is more of a one at a time kind of thing because the intention is to determine if you and woman you are courting are compatible. Is that a correct perception?

View Profile
History
What is courting?
Posted : 3 May, 2018 06:27 PM

It all depends on the man. And the assumption that younger men don't want to settle down and court isn't as true as you would think. Many of my contemporaries, even the Atheists, have expressed interest in meeting a nice girl, marrying her, and settling down. Others who are dating with no serious intentions often admit behind closed doors that they feel as if they're wasting time just dating, but these guys have often given up on women altogether.

View Profile
History
What is courting?
Posted : 4 May, 2018 04:58 PM

For me, I'd have to say things are a bit of a mix.

Courting in itself is seen as old-fashion in the world. Dating has "replaced" it. In some ways it has. The usual arranged marriages have completely disappeared in some countries.

Now, in today's world I can see the dating as a place to start, to get to know someone better, help bond friendship in a way that says, "lets see where God may take this." I think in modern terms, courting is more like going "steady".... that term might even be a bit dated.

I'm, more for getting to be friends, then dating friends (not fwb), the steady or courting (still no fwb), when things turn serious (This is the time all other relationships are pushed back to simple friends only.) .. and finally, if God approves, marriage. (Now at this stage, all the "benefits" can be mutually enjoyed in a way that is God planned and approved.

View Profile
History
What is courting?
Posted : 6 May, 2018 09:01 PM

Courting is dating with intent for marriage. Or in other words what you do when you’re engaged. However with courting you may or may not have definitively decided whether you will marry that person. But that is the end in mind.

Mavie2018

View Profile
History
What is courting?
Posted : 10 May, 2018 12:16 PM

Evening gentlemen,

Am new here so I hope you don't mind me stepping in this important discussion.

What we really want to know is this: Do men who state they are looking for a marriage partner intend to date or court the women who meets their criterias.? At what point a man decides To move from dating to courship?

View Profile
History
What is courting?
Posted : 10 May, 2018 06:22 PM

I think, "childofGod28" put it best earlier. She wrote, "courting is when you have the intention to marry the girl and dating is you're going out with someone and getting to know each other."

Notice, she didn't say that dating is an aimless activity. I've never once gone on a date without the intention to marry that individual. On a date, I want to find out if this person qualifies to be my friend or spouse? If the answer is no, then I move on. During courtship, I do the same thing, but instead of asking myself, I ask God the same question-- "Is it okay for me to marry this person?"

Sometimes God allows us to become friends with certain individuals, but that doesn't mean that we are to marry them. At each turn, we have to ask ourselves and ask God, "Is it okay to proceed?" And if He says, "Okay," then go ahead. But the moment He tells us to stop, then we must stop and back out. I think, sometimes God wants us to enter friendships just to help us learn some things, but that doesn't mean we are to marry that person. It's like a video game where you have to go into a cave to collect some diamonds, so you go in there to get the points, but then you come out and move on. I think, dating can be such activity. You get to know someone. Soon you might think, this person is perfect, but then later you find out it's not what God wanted for you. So, what was the point? Well, the point is you got some experience. You learned something. You're supposed to learn something from each relationship and friendship. But if you listen to God, He will protect you from heartbreaks and painful and bad experiences. But if we ignore His voice, then pretty soon we'll find ourselves in deep-deep trouble.

View Profile
History
What is courting?
Posted : 10 May, 2018 09:37 PM

Some start courting on day 1. If a man dates before courting, he will move to courting when he thinks the relationship should move in the direction of marriage. He will initiate that when he thinks you want to move in that direction as well.

Page : 1 2