Author Thread: Free and Open Source Software
Admin

Free and Open Source Software
Posted : 7 Sep, 2018 03:44 AM

I am a big fan of free and open source software, for both practical and ethical reasons, but primarily for ethical reasons. Therefore I do not like to use Skype, WhatsApp, Gmail, Windows, IOS, Mac OS. But most people, especially most women are ignorant on the matter.

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Sep, 2018 02:28 PM

It's a niche within a niche. You want woman who care about open source and free? Go to a Black Hat conference or something. And consider the disproportionate amount of men vs. women in software alone... copyright or otherwise. Or: how many users, outside of Linux, even care about Open Source and/or free software?

I prefer open source myself. And have read some great articles by Stallman... yet I've always been for free information before knowing anything about whatever groups exist.

Digital information is our modern day Babylon and library of Alexandria. It will destroy us as we are busy growing from it.

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Sep, 2018 08:07 PM

Linux/UNIX is no niche. Walk into any data center and you will see systems running RHEL or BSD. Android is based on Linux and is the most widely used OS.

infact out side of windows and OS/X (witch is build on /UNIX) most systems run open source software. Even dell and HP sell systems running Linux. Weather or not the user knows there using open source is anther thing.

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Sep, 2018 08:11 PM

Also not a lot of people know this, but much was what OS/X was build on is UNIX and open source. how much of the open source code is left I don't know. I do know that much of NeXT was make open Source. Or at lest the app and GUI was.

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Oct, 2018 01:48 PM

I am a HUGE fan of open source software. But I have to use Windows for work, and sometimes I work from home so I need a Windows compatible computer.

I also believe the laborer is worthy of his hire, and that includes people who develop software. My youngest son earns a living by having developed and running an online MMORPG, and I am thankful for the people who support his game by purchasing extras so that he can earn a living doing something that provides enjoyment to other people.

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Oct, 2018 11:36 PM

"Linux/UNIX is no niche. Walk into any data center and you will see systems running RHEL or BSD. Android is based on Linux and is the most widely used OS."

Do you see the irony that statement at all? Even vaguely?

Linux is king in backends and dumbed down frontends, the broad middleground and especially the intermediate frontend area however is where it usually falls flat on it's face at some point.... usually because of it's inherent sluggishness when it comes to adapting to market needs. I am slightly convinced that most of the "hardcore" people simply cannot fathom why most people actually need proper GUI's and don't want to memorize paragraphs of commands and parameters.

rumel

View Profile
History
Posted : 31 Jan, 2019 06:43 PM

just checking to see if there are any nerds still available for linux talk

P_Pechkin

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Feb, 2019 04:20 PM

Well any luck??? I use linux too not all are opensource still mostly is. But I'm not nerd or hacker in any means

rumel

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 May, 2019 12:42 AM

not much luck. posted that so long ago i forgot this thread existed. i need a nerdgirl in my life.

P_Pechkin

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Jul, 2019 02:58 PM

Hmm they are even more rare breed then we think. I guess.

a208x1a^

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Jan, 2021 02:22 PM

I know it's old, but I can't help it. I use open source regularly for instructional purposes. I use OpenShot Video Editor and Freecam 8 for video capture and editing and Audacity for audio capture and editing. All work great!

Page : 1 2