Author Thread: Anyone have suggestions?
Admin

Anyone have suggestions?
Posted : 25 Jun, 2009 10:31 PM

Hi everybody,

I was thinking that it might be nice to have a topic that lets us share our favorite Christian bands with others. I know there are a ton of great ones out there, of all different kinds of genres, so I'm hoping that we can start a discussion that will lead to new musical gems.

So... I have been listening to both Christian and secular music for the last few years because I just cant find enough Christian music that I actually like to listen to, though not for lack of trying to find it. Iv narrowed my secular list down to pretty much the following bands: The Dave Matthews Band, Keane, The fray, Snow Patrol, and Aqualung...not too bad lyrically, and on the christian side I listen to the bands: Turn off the stars, Falling Up, Tenth Avenue North, One Republic, Run Kid Run, some of Red and Jeremy Camps stuff... But Id really like to find more... any suggestions? And, Thanks!

View Profile
History
Anyone have suggestions?
Posted : 21 Jul, 2009 01:19 AM

I have searched far and wide for some decent Christian bands. Here is what I have come up with so far:

1. red

2. flyleaf

3. skillet

4.fireflight

5. 3d day

If i remember more, I will be sure and let you know! Be blessed!

OurJourney

View Profile
History
Anyone have suggestions?
Posted : 9 Aug, 2009 03:09 PM

Our local Christian radio station has a "Saturday Night Alternative" show that runs for about 5 hours every week. You can listen on line and maybe hear lots of bands you might not otherwise be exposed to.

Here is a link: http://www.wwib.com/programmingd.asp?d=7 Just tcruise around the site and you'll find the details!

I listen to some secular music too but I stay away from bad lyrics and music that just sounds nasty, angry or evil. I have heard bands that made "spiritual hair" stand on end! Music is powerful stuff and shouldn't be taken lightly.

God bless!

View Profile
History
Anyone have suggestions?
Posted : 18 Aug, 2009 12:01 AM

Yeah for starters dump the secular music like a bad habit!!! Don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred towards god! It is also written that the devil is in control of the whole world... if those people are making music who is really behind that music, I think you know... second you should pray about it.... then go down to your local christian bookstore/music store and check out what is there.. there is so much awesome christian music out there that it blows me away... kutless,sanctus real,thousand foot krutch,falling up,capital lights,skillet,steve camp,mxpx,disciple,third day,december radio... I could go on all night! Remember that music is a strong spiritual medium! Its not the obviuos you need to look out for, its what's hidden! Do you understand? Satan masquerades as an angel of light.... if you want more bands let me know. If you think I was a little tough on you then your right I was, christians listening to secular music is a sore spot with me, if your still not persuaded I can think of a lot more scripture that backs this up. Just remember jesus didn't suger coat it! Why do you think they were always trying to KILL him. They call it the american dream because everyone has fallen asleep... its time for the children of god to wake up! There is a war going on and the battleground is in the MIND!

View Profile
History
Anyone have suggestions?
Posted : 22 Aug, 2009 09:36 AM

Thank you everyone for the responses. As for the previous response, I thank you for your stance, and no, I do not think you sounded too harsh. I have had similar conversations before, and appreciate heated discussions about Christ and how we are to live for him. However, I do not agree completely with what you are saying. This is something I have looked into and spent a lot of time reflecting on. Yes, in a perfect world, (read: Heaven) we would do nothing but praise and worship God all day every day. However, we do no reside in heaven, and thought we should strive to walk as straight a path as possible, I do not believe that living in a holy bubble is edifying for you or anyone you come in contact with. Do you watch movies? How about TV? Do you read anything other than the bible and theology? I certainly respect those who have battled with secular music and how it influenced them, and have come out victoriously, I have friends who were effected by lustful music and destroyed any CD with lyrics that served as a stumbling block to them. But that is wherein the difference lies. If the slight amount of secular music I listen to does not, after searching out my Fathers desires for me, serve as a stumbling block, and I refrain from playing it around others to whom it might, I can not see how any man can lay out principles for my life. I could be wrong. The truth of the matter is, not one of us is perfect, and we could both have it wrong. Christ himself did not keep to only those who were/behaved "acceptable" by the churches standards. I have visited my local bible store, though a majority of the quality Christian music I have found has been found online (is it secular to be online?). I argue this not to change your mind or your beliefs on secular music, but as a way of saying that your way is just that... YOURS. Not necessarily Gods. And that while, no, we should not compromise to the world, neither should we be a stumbling block to others by our insisted personal convictions.

That being said, I do like a number of the bands you posted, and the one I don't know, capital lights, I will need to check out. (and, yes, if you do have more, I would love to check them out) One other question I would like to pose to you is this: What makes the lyrics of some of the bands you listed (and I happen to also like) "Christian"? You mentioned Falling Up. Love them. But...

Runaway, runaway.

Breathe this in.

The waters wait, waters wait.

Wide awake, wide away.

Breathe this in.

The waters wait, waters wait.

Asking if you are...

Erased, everything within you will feel

Erased now.

Everyday, everyday.

Houses full of no escape, no escape.

Runaway, runaway.

It starts to pull.

He's in this place, in this place

To question who you are.

Who am I?

Who am I?

I will fade.

One of my favorite songs.What does that mean? Is it worship? It kinda, very indirectly mentions "he" who is He? Would someone who is not a Christian and looking catch this vague reference to God? My Christian bookstore sells The Fray as a christian band. Are they? Who is to say? Just some food for thought.

Merilee

View Profile
History
Anyone have suggestions?
Posted : 23 Aug, 2009 12:40 AM

Great thread. I listen to christian radio exclusively in the car, I've noticed this past year the songs don't sound much the same anymore, finally some happening artists are coming out of the wood work (on our radio up here) with creative lyrics and original rhythms that are upbeat rather then souly sombering and indentical sounding. My favorite band is Tenth Avenue North.

Having said what I have, i'm in agreement that christians need to refrain from listening to music that isn't affirming of Christs heart, however I also personally appreciate songs that come from a heart of pain and passion that call out for God to take hold of their lives. not all the songs im thinking of would be, for some, appropriate songs. I listen for the heart and soul sung by the singer, their pain at the time and how hearing it may affect others. The spirit that presents itself.

Not all secular songs are demon based. Not all artists who sing christian songs have given their hearts to the Lord.

Meri

View Profile
History
Anyone have suggestions?
Posted : 23 Aug, 2009 07:34 AM

When I make a statement in life I try to ask myself "can I back that up with scripture". And vice versa if a christian makes a statement to me I ask them "can you back that up with scripture". We are in this world but not of this world.... do not do as the world does and again it says..it is gods will to keep oneself from being polluted by the world... we all have struggles in this life,no doubt: as far as living in a holy bubble,didn't god say be holy because I am holy? 98% of what I read is my bible, the other 2% is stuff about the creation/evolution war that is raging..... the word of god is absolute truth,we need to imerse ourselves in that...jesus was THE WORD in the flesh, eat my flesh and drink my blood! Literally means to know scripture inside and out....always be ready to give an answer for the hope that you have... if you are so kind as not to play secular music around other people, then why would you listen to it yourself? Love your neighbor as you love YOURSELF! I don't mean to undermine your faith on the contrary I'm trying to build you up! I don't read newspapers, or watch the news... because there is nothing new under the sun.... I stay plugged into god 24/7. Meditate on my word day and night! Pray continually! And if you need faith just remember faith comes from hearing the word of god...just let go, trust me he will catch you! God blesss,Dave.

View Profile
History
Anyone have suggestions?
Posted : 23 Aug, 2009 07:54 AM

Not all secular songs are demon based huh.... jesus said your either for me or against me, there is no gray area in that statement...his word says I know your deeds that you are neither cold nor hot I wish you were one or the other! So because you are lukewarm, neither hot or cold, I am about to spit you out of my mouth.... it sounds like a lot of justification by minimalization... and yes there are people who call themselves christian bands but you can clearly tell that their music doesn't jive with what they are preaching.... we need to use discernment...

Merilee

View Profile
History
Anyone have suggestions?
Posted : 31 Aug, 2009 04:59 PM

61teraldays wrote:

"and yes there are people who call themselves christian bands but you can clearly tell that their music doesn't jive with what they are preaching.... we need to use discernment..."

Yes, which is exactly what I said. We need to use discernment in what we listen to and what we watch. I love the song Green Green Grass of Home originally written by Curly Putman. I also enjoy classical, some blue grass, some blues.. are you saying that because folks may have ecclectic tastes in music that reach beyond the christian genra.. it's wrong? We will need to agree to disagree dear brother because God gave many people from different backgrounds marvelous abilities to write, direct, and play music.

I don't know anything about Bachs religeous background or Handel, or Bethoven, John Denver or Wilf Carter but I do know they were all talented fellas and amazing contributors to fine arts and performances. I truly believe Jesus himself would have been into many different genras that celebrated life, love, heart ache and compassion and uses them today to reach an unfeeling world to assist man.. to feel again. btw.. the lead singer for Megadeath is a born again Christian.

This was written fast so if it fails to make sense *shrug* sorry.. suppers getting cold : )

Meri

View Profile
History
Anyone have suggestions?
Posted : 1 Sep, 2009 08:58 PM

Not even once have you backed up anything you have said with scripture, you seem to like to play the devils advocate. We are in this world but not of this world... The real problem seems to be; its not a question of did god say it, but the question is do you believe what his word says? Both of you still argue from a worldly standpoint,and personel opinions. As christians our opinion should be in alignment with the word of god,if it isn't then we should seek to change ourselves.

Merilee

View Profile
History
Anyone have suggestions?
Posted : 4 Sep, 2009 07:22 PM

terald.. you are coming across as narrow and pompous, cold and haughty.

Appreciating a variety of different types of music does not make one less Christian then yourself. Your attitude concerns me. I work with mentally challenged adults and with an inner city mission.. the type of person you are coming across as seems to be one who has no ability for compassion or empathy for others nor would fair very well serving on a bread line.

I have no aspirations to be sooo religious (didn't say spiritual, very different) that I can't love people where ever they're at. Even if they have an affinity for Bach ! but how dare they, eh?

Meri

Page : 1 2 3