Author Thread: Changing Last Names
Admin

Changing Last Names
Posted : 17 Oct, 2019 07:12 AM

When marrying, why is only the woman expected to change her last name? Why doesn't the man do also?

T0TH3M4X

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 17 Oct, 2019 05:06 PM

I think a lot of women look forward to changing their name. Not because they don't like their maiden name, but it's a marker of a significant change. Some ladies cant wait to become Mrs. (Insert last name here). I think it's also a way of saying "I'm taken." But hey, I get it. Someone may not like it, as such in your case. I think nowadays it's fairly common for people to combine last names.

Just my two cents. Could be wrong I suppose. :)

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 17 Oct, 2019 06:42 PM

changing the last name of the female is the normalacy of the culture You were programmed/educated in?

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 18 Oct, 2019 04:24 PM

I'm not asking why do women change their names? I'm asking why don't men do so as well?

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 18 Oct, 2019 04:25 PM

It's tradition, here, yes. But, just because something is traditional doesn't mean it is right.

T0TH3M4X

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 18 Oct, 2019 08:28 PM

Why should we? lol Some add on the maiden name of their wife to their own.

I think there are probably more pressing issues in a relationship, including marriage, than last names. Also, in marriage, spouses generally refer to each other by first names, or a nickname, rather than last names, so don't see why it should be an issue. But hey, that's just me and my two cents. :)

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 18 Oct, 2019 09:16 PM

Because, like you said it's a way to say "I'm taken"

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 19 Oct, 2019 05:36 AM

Just like when a father ceremonially gives his daughter away the changing of last name is symbolic of the woman coming under the authority of her husband where before she was under the authority of her father.

He is the head of his family so everyone bears his name.

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 20 Oct, 2019 04:32 AM

If it bothers you, then don't change your maiden name. No one can make you if you wish to keep your last name. It's just tradition.

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 20 Oct, 2019 08:16 AM

No, I want change my name so that we have the same name. But, I want him to too.

View Profile
History
Changing Last Names
Posted : 26 Oct, 2019 05:29 PM

Would you amble in at the marriage supper of the Lamb and postulate how the Son of God should don your surname too?

Do you not understand how the marriage between a man and a woman is a fleeting illustration of an eternal truth; to exemplify the relationship between Christ and His bride?

When a man gives his life to Christ, his former life is supplanted by that which is new, so the name of his Lord may be glorified in the life of that man. Because the head of every man is Christ.

By the same token, when the woman, who is the glory of the man, gives herself to a man by the will of God, she takes on the name of her husband to signify his headship in marriage. Because the husband is the head of the wife.

If the relationship between Christ and the church is the exemplar for marriage, why would you propose that any man should adopt your family name?

Page : 1 2 3