Author Thread: What is success?
Mykull

View Profile
History
What is success?
Posted : 28 Mar, 2020 03:59 PM

I have been on a few dates and money, finances come up at one time or another. Had a gal ask me about my portfolio? Don't even have one. I think I am successful. I have a small modest home. Two cars that are 10+ years old. All paid off. No credit cards. No debt. Was always taught if you can't pay cash for it you don't need it. Don't have much of a savings. Don't have a 401k or stocks or bonds or anything like that. I work enough to cover all my bills and enjoy life. And am told that I would not attract anyone as I am not successful.

Long story short, I have had a couple of friends in their late 50's. Who lost everything to hospital bills do to losing their jobs in their 50's and their health insurance. Their advice to me. ENJOY LIFE! Work just enough to cover your bills and enjoy life. So I do and have no worries. So am I successful? Does money and happiness have anything to do with success? What is success? A guy with a mound of debt? A guy with a good heart? A good personality? Just wondering?

T0TH3M4X

View Profile
History
What is success?
Posted : 28 Mar, 2020 07:06 PM

I would focus more on what you feel you have to offer rather than let people tell you what you don't have to offer. If someone says "you're not good enough", then move forward without them. We all have something to contribute in life, and it's about finding someone who appreciates what that is.

As far as "portfolio", I would say the person was probably trying to sound intelligent, but it really is an empty question if they don't specify what kind of portfolio. If not, they might as well be asking for a job resume. You could have a business portfolio or even an art portfolio. If someone asked me that, I would assume they wanted some professional display of my work, but not all portfolios are work related.

View Profile
History
What is success?
Posted : 28 Mar, 2020 08:04 PM

Hey, if she wants a "portfolio," then just do this: Open an account at Robinhood. It's an app you download. You send in your papers. It's like a PayPal account. You can buy stocks or options. So, you look for the symbol UPRO. Buy one share. It costs 30 dollars right now. Boom! You now have a portfolio.

OR you could do something even simpler. No account necessary. Just go to a coin store and buy an American Silver Eagle coin. It costs about 20-25 dollars. Now you are a silver investor! Lol If you buy both UPRO and silver, then now you are a serious investor. (The S&P 500 index is the most famous and well-known index in the world of investing. UPRO is a fund that goes up 3% when the S&P 500 index goes up 1%. So, it rises and falls a lot faster than the average. Right now might be a good time to buy that. And a year from now, maybe you'll have 60 dollars instead of 30, because it goes up and down all the time.) Silver is also a serious investment. I mean anybody who thinks there will be inflation is buying gold or silver. I personally prefer silver and my username happens to be silver. What a coincidence! Lol

View Profile
History
What is success?
Posted : 28 Mar, 2020 08:10 PM

But seriously, you don't have to own a million shares of Walmart or Microsoft or any number of companies to be an investor or to have a portfolio. If you have one or two funds which cost like 50 dollars altogether, then you can say you have a portfolio. And she doesn't have to know that it's only 50 dollars. It's not the portfolio that counts. It's your work ethic and how much debt you have etc. Portfolio is just a superficial thing, but just so you can say you have one, you could open an account. That's why I suggested Robinhood. Btw they offer free trades. That means you don't have to pay any commission when you buy or sell. And you don't have to have $500 to open an account. You can open an account with as little as $10. It's really easy. Takes an hour or less, and then you can say you have a portfolio.

View Profile
History
What is success?
Posted : 29 Mar, 2020 06:24 AM

The number one need for women is security...so the question will come up again and again..let it not offend you....but the Question you have posed, and the two responses given above...I must commend all, are quite intelligent...will follow the thread...interesting read indeed.

Now my input...Success is when the Lord is with you...The Lord was with Joseph and he was a successful man, the Ark of the Lord remained in the house of Obed Edom, and the LORD blessed him and his entire household until David heard about it, and was envious and personally went to bring the Ark of the Lord to Jerusalem with dancing and sacrifices. The Lord was with David, and gave him success in every military campaign. Says who? Says the Bible.

T0TH3M4X

View Profile
History
What is success?
Posted : 29 Mar, 2020 10:46 AM

I agree on the "security" thing. At least for many.

I think us guys, we just want to feel like we're appreciated and needed. So many women nowadays are like, "I don't need a man." Okay, I get it. They value their independence. However, that's not what relationships are about. We don't always "have to" need someone, but many times we are better off needing them in our life.

Right on about God determining success. That's part of having faith. We believe, He fulfills.

Oh, and about the stock thing. If she's into stock portfolios, just ask her:

"How's that going for you right now?"

Pretty sure nobody is happy with the stock market situation at the present time. Of course I'm more likely to answer her with, "The dog ate my portfolio."

View Profile
History
What is success?
Posted : 30 Mar, 2020 03:18 AM

Whether success is measured in wealth or by love, the by-product of success is the love and charity we have for others rather than the sum of our wealth and possesions. Many a man who was filled with years has learnt how their small fortune profited nothing because they lacked the one thing their riches couldn't acquire - Love.

View Profile
History
What is success?
Posted : 25 Apr, 2020 02:42 PM

Success is when you accomplished a goal you had set out for yourself. Having to lived a good straight life with no regrets is probably the person who is successful. The things of this world is not what makes a person successful. The media praising you would never make you successful either. If a person wants to be successful he simply needs merit. Obtain merit through hard work and not letting anyone stand in your way is the path towards being successful in life.

View Profile
History
What is success?
Posted : 25 May, 2020 08:15 PM

I work with someone who places great importance on finances. When they learned I didn't have any investments they began to treat me differently. Said I was a failure in life because I had nothing to show for my years of work. I also have no debt and help a family member with some bills. My colleague got a big piece of humble pie when the market crashed. People put their faith in money rather than God. Read Psalms 49.

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
What is success?
Posted : 26 May, 2020 04:40 AM

When a person knows they need God in their life above whatever else they seek for in this life, then they are a Wise person. God made the Universe he will provide.

A relationship with Jesus Christ is what's more important.

We work hard and be an asset to our country !

Marcouse

View Profile
History
What is success?
Posted : 12 Jun, 2020 04:42 PM

I'm semi retired at 43 with no debts, a couple of cars and a van etc. I rent my home as I like flexibility.

In terms of portfolio I'm about 20% into cash and 80% into assets but a woman does not need to know the amounts and what because she won't be seeing any of it. I've probably got enough to see me out.

A 401K is a way of losing money and paying for other people who are supposedly managing your money. I've made over 10% in the last year on my assets despite the CV and I'm hedged against inflation. No 401K is making that and if the dollar dies so will the 401K.

I've stopped day trading as well, all those nuggets on Robin Hood thinking they can outsmart Warren Buffet are adding to the risk and volatility. Once they are all stripped of their cash I'll probably get back into it. Don't buy the dip!! Or you will get caught by the drop. The markets are all over valued by at least double at the moment despite losses. If you go long on a bargain stock even if it does go up in the long run you have to have the money to cover any margin calls if it drops in the short term.

A woman that trusts me and doesn't ask to many questions or make unnecessary demands will do alright.

Most women are usually broke so never let them know what you have got, they won't have any problems spending your money and taking a bailout. Success is pretty much just doing what you want which I have done for the majority of my life. I've always ignored other peoples opinions on what I should do and it's worked in the main.