Author Thread: Political Forum
Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Political Forum
Posted : 29 May, 2020 04:03 PM

Some Christians feel they don't need to vote in general elections.

It would be interesting to discuss the reasons not to vote.

Also discuss the candidates for the upcoming elections.

These are not Biblical discussions.

View Profile
History
Political Forum
Posted : 15 Jun, 2020 11:04 AM

Ok, I'm really confused. The only person that I can see talking about not voting is Moonlight, and she's seems to be generally against that. How did not voting get dragged into this conversation? Why are we talking about not voting?

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
History
Political Forum
Posted : 15 Jun, 2020 05:14 PM

Hey Barnowl, it's been a couple days since you posted, but I hope you get to see this. It's got to be hard being in a place that has your beliefs so badly outnumbered. However, there have been some things I've heard that give me some hope that California might surprise a lot of people this year at the polls, so don't give up. Even when you're outnumbered, you remain the reminder that other ideals need to be considered, other points of view need to be heard. Unlike Hollywood that would like to believe they are the conscience of the nation, it's the followers of Christ that are the real conscience of the country. The Founders of this nation considered voting to not just be a right, but a responsibility, that through the prayerful decisions of all involved, the proper leaders would be selected. CA may stay blue in November, but there have been times when it has gone red. I think there is room for you and other Californians that feel they live in a state that never represents their values to have hope that their voices will be heard this year loud and clear!

Alligator

View Profile
History
Political Forum
Posted : 15 Jun, 2020 06:43 PM

Ivy, this entire thread is about VOTING or Not Voting... "Some Christians feel they don't need to vote in general elections.

It would be interesting to discuss the reasons not to vote.

Also discuss the candidates for the upcoming elections.

These are not Biblical discussions."

View Profile
History
Political Forum
Posted : 15 Jun, 2020 06:55 PM

Ah, I see, now. Thanks for pointing that out, Al. I don't know how I missed that. If it was a snake, it would have bit me.

Quiznos

View Profile
History
Political Forum
Posted : 16 Jun, 2020 12:41 AM

Hi gator,

This is a Biblical discussion.

Who did the politickters go to FIRST when they campaigned, that is right, the CHRISTIANS.

Where did they go to tell the people their credentials, thats right, the buildings the christians meet in.

Who are the last people they see these days, right again the christians, WHY is that.

The polyticksters have the christians bound and gagged not to talk politicks with the 501Cs TAX EXEMPT STATUS.

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
History
Political Forum
Posted : 16 Jun, 2020 03:51 AM

No worries CountryIvy. This thread has about 3 discussions overlapping and is starting to get confusing. Besides, Quiznos seems to be missing this too.

Quiznos, you might want to take another look at the original poster's comments again. It's not very long and appears at the top of each of this thread's 8 pages so far. It's Moonlight's topic and she explicitely states that this is not meant to be a Biblical discussion topic. That's why it's not located in the Biblical discussion forum.

You might also want to take another look at what the president has been doing for the last 4 years that even helps what you're harping about on here. Even liberal ABC acknowledges that this political gagging of the pastors to keep their tax exempt status has been eased:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/trump-signs-executive-order-ease-restrictions-religious-participation/story%3fid=47190000

The 501c3 serves to protect volunteers against lawsuit in the event of misbehavior on the part of one of its members. In this way, a victim of abuse or someone who fails to be helped by an incorporated church or charity can only sue the person who actually did the harm or the entirety of the organization, not the individual volunteers that had nothing to do with the failure. If you could be sued individually for bad things happening in a group you're volunteering for, you'd have a hard time getting volunteers for anything.

You and Peter Kershaw are right that this also meant that churches were on some level beholden to the government, but the "Presidential Executive Order Promoting Free Speech and Religious Liberty" helps to ease the restrictions of the Johnson Amendment, which Trump called for a repeal of in 2016. It's not the congressional repeal of the Johnson Amendment we were all hoping for, but until we can get the end goals of the two major political parties to align again on underlying values so that only our methods differ, we may be trapped in the overlapping execurive order methods of legislation.

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
History
Political Forum
Posted : 16 Jun, 2020 04:06 AM

All of that having been said, if pastors and leaders continue to refrain from becoming political in the pulpit, it is by their own choice to keep the tension down in a mixed congregation. Sometimes when a church goes in a direction politically that someone (especially someone in the leadership) doesn't like, that person will leave in a huff. They will do it loudly, sometimes publicly, try to take others with them, and essentially do as much damage to the church on the way out as they can. Many pastors fear this, especially when their evaluations in the church hierarchy depends on whether the church is growing or not. We can discuss (in a different thread) whether pastors are right or wrong to hold their tongues on these issues, but at least the pressure is not necessarily coming from the government anymore.

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Political Forum
Posted : 16 Jun, 2020 04:54 AM

Quiznos move on this thread is on Voting!

You talk Against Christians constantly!

You need to find a Judeo or Hebrew old Testament Forum.

Go to Biblical for Your Arguments!

View Profile
History
Political Forum
Posted : 16 Jun, 2020 08:35 AM

Why are you guys trying to separate the Bible and Christianity into its own sphere? That's not right. The Bible and the Christian worldview should inform every part of your life. Being a Christian isn't something that you just do at church.

Alligator

View Profile
History
Political Forum
Posted : 16 Jun, 2020 11:12 AM

Ivy, I agree its part of everything we do. But subjects can be separated out. for example, parents might disagree with schools and want to homeschool. nothing in the Bible answers that, so they have to search their hearts, and decide how to school their children. Pray about it discuss it...but it can be separated out from Bible talk. There is no guidance in the Bible about voting, that is why this subject is not under Biblical. and Quiznos acts like he knows everything. Take a couple minutes and read his entire profile. Ivy, you will discover that he really is a troublemaker.

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10