Author Thread: If you didn't agree with another's Biblical beliefs...
Phoenyx

View Profile
History
If you didn't agree with another's Biblical beliefs...
Posted : 19 Jul, 2009 08:36 PM

Would you tell him that he was going to Hell indefinitely?

Would you label him as something he does not claim to be?

Would you twist something he said to get others to agree how horrible his beliefs are?

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Jul, 2009 02:30 AM

I WOULD DO NONE OF THE ABOVE QUESTIONS.

ABOVE ALL, I WILL PRAY FOR HIM/HER.

I WOULD INITIALLY TRY TO WITNESS, IF HE REFUSES AND DISMISSES MY WORDS AFTER THE FIRST AND SECOND, I WOULD GO NO FURTHER.

I WILL CEASE FROM ARGUEMENT, BLAME AND ANY OTHER SIMILAR THING WITH HIM/HER BECAUSE OF THE VERSES BELOW.

TITUS 3:10-11

Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him. You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

2 TIMOTHY 2:23-24

Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.

BROTHER THADDEUS MENTIONED THESE VERSES BEFORE HE EMBARKED ON HIS JOURNEY TO HIS ORIGIN, I JUST FOUGHT I SHOULD BRING THEM UP AGAIN.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Jul, 2009 01:09 PM

I don't think that God saves someone base on their doctrinal beliefs all the time. God has many people in all churches that will be with Him. Maybe there are even some that didn't/don't know about the "christian" God? Maybe they saw God's power in nature and worshiped Him without knowing who it was exactly? Maybe God talked to them directly? Who are we to judge? I believe God will save everyone that lives up to the light/truth He has given them...and as long as they don't actively reject new light without even looking at it. Be careful though, study your Bible...make sure it's God. Anyway, the only things I think we really need to worry about are...

1. Ourselves and our own relationship to God/Jesus.(You can't witness to people very effectively if you don't know what you're talking about, or aren't practicing what you preach. Hypocrisy is a Christians worst enemy.)

2. People that don't know about God, or have been hurt by "religion".(Religion isn't bad....but "religious" people can hurt someone else very badly sometimes...you know what I mean...I've done it myself...)

3. Our immediate/christian family.

4. The last one...helping other Christians that believe differently to grow, or understand something that you can prove is the truth....this one is kinda voluntary. I wouldn't recommend messing with it unless you have an open ear, because it's very easy to turn someone off completely...I found that one out the hard way...not fun...and very sad...

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Jul, 2009 04:40 PM

Honestly, I've been in a couple of these situations. I really didn't know what to do. I found myself kind of walking away because I was getting more frustrated than doing any good trying to talk about. One of them wasn't exactly about beliefs just in the way I see them living their life and saying there a Christian. I know they believe but sometimes I wonder far they'd go and give up. I know I can't say much myself because I still struggle. Well, I guess they both similar like that. Yea, I really didn't know what to do in those situations. I feel that if you don't feel you can't deal with it without talking more good than bad then just leave it until you can. I'm not really sure.

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Jul, 2009 04:47 PM

dear christy,, hey girl its good to see ya back..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Jul, 2009 09:07 PM

thanks cattleman. lifes been happenin so i havent been online a lot lol and a cool christian music festival.

slj3_1

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Jul, 2009 09:32 PM

I have some very good friends whom I disagree with on a few certain things, but we leave those discussions alone. Even my late husband and I had some differences on how we believe. We never had an argument tho.

Sometimes we have to agree that we disagree and leave it at that.

One friend of mine always brings up one certain subject every time we have a Biblical discussion. He knows I don't agree with him, so I have just taken to sitting quietly until he finishes what he is going to say ( he is my elder).

I have learned that when I can feel that "rise" within me, I know I need to keep my mouth shut. I've been known to say too much. lol Imagine that!

There is a scripture in Proverbs, can't remember the verse,

"A soft answer turneth away wrath".

God Bless, Sandy

Phoenyx

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Jul, 2009 08:55 AM

Thank you all. I'm glad to see the responses.

slj3_1 you hit the nail on the head. Those that have been doing exactly what the questions describe are elders. It was the middle one that most bothered me, because it showed an unwillingness to even a different point of view. Praying we both have good results.

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Jul, 2009 02:38 PM

I've heard people lately use a phrase that might appear helpful: Major on the majors, and minor on the minors.

If your friend holds different views on non-essentials, take comfort in Romans 14 that tells us not to instruct others in how they should faithfully obey their master in Heaven, with examples of Holy days, eating, etc.

However, if your friend believes something that is doctrinally false (for example: he might believe you can lose your salvation), then do start asking questions. At worst, you expose an opportunity to witness to a friend and to share Christ's love; at best, you mend a potential offense and strengthen the love you both already share.

Paul encourages us to speak the truth in love. If your friend's beliefs are so warped that it throws the question of salvation up, then you would not be acting in love to approve his words any more than you would to jump to conclusions and accusations.

oneway

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Aug, 2009 09:04 AM

If the Holy Spirit tells me it's alright to speak then I will...but I will most definately pray about this person and if/how God can use me to witness to him. God always gives the increase so I am careful in my witnessing. I always want to speak the truth in love and sometimes it is not easy. Better to keep my mouth closed if I can't do that.