Author Thread: Modesty
seekeruvtruth

View Profile
History
Modesty
Posted : 13 Nov, 2020 02:08 AM

This question was posed to me "what is your motivation to appear publicly with your private areas being emphasized and on display for even small children to see; doesn't pedophelia offend you?" I was immediately shocked and bought an entire new wardrobe.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Modesty
Posted : 19 Nov, 2020 10:35 AM

Really good thread. I don’t agree with everything but I appreciate you weighing in with that topic.

Women’s clothing and hair styles began to change about 100 years ago somewhere about the 1920’s (the roaring 20’s).

Generally, 100 years ago, men and women’s clothing covered the body from the neck down.

But most noticeably about the 20’s, women’s clothing began to inch upward from the bottom. Although men’s clothing styles may have changed over the years, as a general rule, they still cover the body from the neck down regardless of style.

So, fast forward. The world’s system (composed of sinful men and women) began to double-down on the cultural sanction and idealization of female sensuality.

Nowhere was this more evident than with the evolutionary “upward” ascent of women’s skirts and the downward descent of the blouse. Clothing styles would eventually become a catalyst for the sexual revolution.

In the meantime, the church began following the world—at a distance, usually an inch or 2 behind. I remember all the “good Christian girls” wore skirts below the knees by an inch or 2 while bad girls exposed their knees !

A Christian college I attended used to force girls to wear loose fitting skirts 2 inches below the knees while at class but they where allowed to wear bad girl’s clothes after school.

In the meantime, grandma thought showing off of ladies legs was risqué, after all, men still covered their legs!!

I remember when ladies were always trying to pull their skirts over their knees. Others, in a facade of false modesty, would cross their legs and continually tug at their skirts. One would think it less trouble and genuinely more modest to simply wear longer skirts!

But alas, the brazen approach soon saved the day. And so it was—“let’s just show it all off—who cares—this is MY body!!”

But truthfully, a woman’s body belongs to the Lord, because HE made it. Seems the Maker gets to decide clothing rules, and he did, starting with the book Genesis.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Modesty
Posted : 4 Dec, 2020 05:49 AM

It wasn't clear in your initial post that this had happened in a dream.

I would caution everyone to study the bible for themselves, and not to accept the words of anyone just because it sounds good/spiritual.

On the subject of modesty I think it's possible to be modest without walking around like an extra from little house on the prairie...:-)

Page : 1 2