Author Thread: submitting messages
Admin

submitting messages
Posted : 24 Jul, 2009 01:45 PM

This has to do with replying to messages: is it insulting if i don't capitalize my i or begin sentences without capitalizing? i was told in a message, from a man living in L.A., that it was like i was spitting on him every time i didn't capitalize. I thought that was excessive and aggressive, so i blocked him. Now, i'm wondering if that is a consideration. I do professional writing and reviewing of professional writing all the time... i use this for casual and prefer not to take it to the same intensity of my job, i treat messaging like i am talking and have to admit i've gotten spoiled with Word, where it does all that for ya, to include correcting spelling - which i will admit my spelling has gotten worse in the last decade.

Back to the question: Is deliberate improper typing seen as a reflection of a person's education or just plain being rude?

View Profile
History
submitting messages
Posted : 24 Jul, 2009 02:10 PM

dear golden, i recon id tell him if hes gettin too wet then step out the way grins...

ole cattle

View Profile
History
submitting messages
Posted : 25 Jul, 2009 11:57 AM

HELLO.

THE WAY I SEE IT, IS THAT, �IMPROPER TYPING�, AS U PUT IT, OR SLANG, IS THE NORM, WHEN IT COMES TO SOCIAL NETWORKING.

I DONT THINK THAT IT REFLECTS HOW EDUCATED A PERSON IS, A PERSONS LEVEL OF EDUCATION, SHOULD NOT EVEN BE A MAJOR FACTOR, IN MY VIEW, IN RELATION TO FINDING A FRIEND AND OR LIFE PARTNER.

I DONT THINK IT IS RUDE EITHER. IVE ALWAYS LOOKED AT SLANG/IMPROPER TYPING AS A WAY OF BEING INFORMAL/NOT SO UPTIGHT, BUT THEN AGAIN, PEOPLE HAVE THEIR PREFERENCES WHICH HAVE TO BE RESPECTED.

I THINK U SHOULD CONTINUE TO BE YOURSELF, DESPITE WHAT ANYONE SAYS, YOUR THE ONLY PERSON THAT KNOWS HOW TO BE YOU, BEST. PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE HOW YOU ARE FOR THE BENEFIT OF GRAMMAR TEACHERS:ROFL:. I CAN DEFINATELY SPEAK FOR THE MAJORITY OF CDFF USERS AND FOR THE MAJORITY OF THE SOCIAL NETWORKING COMMUNITY, IN SAYING THAT, THE VAST MAJORITY, PREFER TO COMMUNICATE IN SLANG/IMPROPER TYPING.

SLANG ROCKS:rocknroll:

View Profile
History
submitting messages
Posted : 25 Jul, 2009 03:55 PM

dear kid, all good points..

ole cattle

FalSmiles

View Profile
History
submitting messages
Posted : 27 Jul, 2009 02:01 PM

To me depending on what you type can convey a message. I know that with myself especially here, I usually do not hold much thought of emails I receive that do not capitalize their "i" I have found more often then not that they end up not being from this country or have not been true in there intentions.

While I am sure that is not always the case, it is the experience I have seen thus far.

On a personal note, I feel that they way we type can convey a message to those reading it, for instance ALL CAPS is usually thought of as shouting. Realizing that emotion can get lost in type, simple things like above can make the difference in conveying what you are trying to say in addition to the typed words themselves.

Smiles

View Profile
History
submitting messages
Posted : 28 Jul, 2009 03:00 AM

I do agree with you Kid that is a new type of slang/improper. Just like all the little abbreviations that are used when typing.

Smiles, I also used to think that capitalization meant shouting. Until on another site a good friend does it so that he can see what he is writing because he has a disease in his eyes, therefore he can not see very well.

I have a keyboard that sticks so there are times that I do not capitalize words that should be capital. THere are ones that no matter what I will go back and capitalize though, any words standing for God or Jesus.

God Bless You

chbriteeye

LJP1944

View Profile
History
submitting messages
Posted : 28 Jul, 2009 01:59 PM

Unfortunately, using slang, improper spelling, careless typing, etc. does leave an impression on some. It WILL weed out some who place high value on education or who otherwise care about such things. I'd be inclined to say it wouldn't weed out Mr. or Miss Wonderful, however, because they're going to love us in all our imperfect splendor. LOL It's such a minor thing and I think most of us are seeking someone we connect with on a much deeper level. And sometimes we need to forgive. This process can work like a weed wacker, and that's good.

Linda

Ephes. 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ�s sake hath forgiven you.

tristan07

View Profile
History
submitting messages
Posted : 29 Jul, 2009 03:39 PM

Just type, woman. If they cant get past the typing.. what's next?

View Profile
History
submitting messages
Posted : 29 Jul, 2009 05:03 PM

LOL, i love the way Alex said it :laugh: