Author Thread: Is drinking a SIN?
theDave

View Profile
History
Is drinking a SIN?
Posted : 23 Sep, 2009 06:45 AM

I see a lot of people on this website that have, as a qualification, must not drink. I've never thought of drinking as a sin although I know that drinking can lead to sinning. What do you guys think?

View Profile
History
Is drinking a SIN?
Posted : 23 Sep, 2009 11:45 AM

dear dave, drinkin is only a sin if you make it one..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
Is drinking a SIN?
Posted : 23 Sep, 2009 12:18 PM

Drunkards have no part in the Kingdom of God. But Timothy was told to take a little wine for his stomach problems. This implies

a medicinal use for alcohol in small amounts. But a daily or even occasional use of alcohol brings a negative addiction contrary to

the inward filling of the Holy Spirit. And those who drink are stupid.

Proverbs 20:1(NLT), "Wine produces mockers; liquor leads to brawls. Whoever is led astray by drink cannot be wise."NLT

And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, Eph 5:18 (ESV).

Having said that, remember there are some very anti-drunkenness people who's experiences in life have caused them to be intolerant

of anyone who drinks. I support them.

And yes it is a sin if it causes anyone to stumble.

Linnie41

View Profile
History
Is drinking a SIN?
Posted : 23 Sep, 2009 07:13 PM

No, drinking is not a sin. There are several passages in the Bible that speak of drinking wine - the key is not to get into drunkenness. We also have to remember that the wine in the Bible was nothing compared to what we have today. It was much less potent than the alcohol that's around now.

God told his people to enjoy wine at the yearly festivals (Deut. 14:26). God also commanded the Levitical priests to include in the sacrifices a portion of wine (yayin) as a drink offering (Ex. 29:40). The Bible says that God gave wine to make men glad (Ps. 104:15) Also, Jesus drank wine. But he did it as all the other Jews did in his day - in moderation. It was diluted with water and was one of the main beverages in those days.

However, the Bible also tells us not to cause someone to stumble. If we're in a situation where drinking would bother someone, we should abstain.

View Profile
History
Is drinking a SIN?
Posted : 24 Sep, 2009 12:00 PM

We can all drink too feel better and have a happy heart?

"God gave wine to make men glad (Ps. 104:15)

But drunkards have no place in the Kingdom. Here is an excellent example of how too much of a good thing can turn bad.

But i still prefer non alcoholic relationships.

:waving:

TaxMan

View Profile
History
Is drinking a SIN?
Posted : 25 Sep, 2009 01:16 PM

Hm..moderation in everything, including moderation.

Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works. - Ecclesiastes 9:7

:)

View Profile
History
Is drinking a SIN?
Posted : 25 Sep, 2009 03:56 PM

I personally believe that TV is far more dangerous than a nice honest glass of red wine.

Linnie41

View Profile
History
Is drinking a SIN?
Posted : 25 Sep, 2009 04:48 PM

Poochetteek, I like you already and welcome to the forums! You're absolutely right!

View Profile
History
Is drinking a SIN?
Posted : 28 Sep, 2009 05:58 AM

Woe unto those who drink and watch TV at the same time :ROFL:

krazk0047

View Profile
History
Is drinking a SIN?
Posted : 3 Oct, 2009 10:16 AM

Ok well the main question is not whether or not drinking is a sin. It is whether or not it is something that Christians should participate in, as it can certainly cause us to sin, and puts us in a place where we might not be able to control ourselves so that we would sin, when otherwise we might not.

There is no place in the Bible that says specifically "Thou shalt not drink alcohol," but there are countless references to "strong drink," and admonitions to stay away from it. There is no place in the Bible that condones drinking what we would refer to as "strong drink," or anything with a significant alcohol content. This causes not only bodily harm, (which is not desirable in the sight of God, as He would have us be good stewards of the body we have been given), but can give a bad representation of how Christians should live their lives.

Now, many people try to justify the drinking debate by pointing to Christ's miracle turning the water to wine, and Paul's advice to Timothy to drink some wine for his stomach.

HOWEVER, people who use these examples to support their argument that it is ok for Christians to drink are not necessarily considering all the facts and circumstances of these events.

Back in Bible days, it was quite common for every person to mix water with wine for purification purposes. They did not have the modern techniques we have today, so that was their means of making sure they did not get sick from the bacteria and parasites in the water. The alcohol content would have been very minimal. Timothy was trying to set a good example for the Christians by abstaining from all wine, and was (as many theologians conclude) drinking water without mixing it first. Paul's advice to him was to keep mixing the water with the wine for the purification aspect of things.

Today, we do not have that excuse. We have modern purification processes that take care of our needs. The amount of chlorine/chemicals that is in our drinking water is probably comparable to the alcohol/water mix they would have used back then. I think of it this way - We wouldn't drink straight chlorine, because it is quite harmful to our bodies. So why would we drink straight alcohol, which is the equivalent of pouring harmful chemicals into our bodies?

Interesting and long standing debate.

View Profile
History
Is drinking a SIN?
Posted : 7 Oct, 2009 06:55 PM

Is drinking a sin? That has been and remains a 'hot topic'! I want to say So. Baptists have it in official beliefs that we are to avoid even the appearance of drinking. I've also grown up all my life hearing that Baptist are the biggest drunks. I had a good friend go to Presbyterians because they believed just like Baptist except that it was okay to drink!

I despised alcohol from an early age. I had to pick up trash and I hated to pick up stinking beer cans. My folks and our church were against alcoholic drinking. I never did drink.

My job requires me to go in to places where liquor is served. I long for a world where there are no inebriated people. I've had them put my job in jepordy, spill drinks on me, seen them act like idiots, talk like idiots, I've had to view results of drunks driving, shooting guns and more. I've seen an inebriated driver moaning and wailing while a mom and dad sat, their clothing singed, hair singed, arms and faces puffy from being burned as firefighters walked by with body bags carrying their 9 and 11 year old sons from their car.

Is drinking a sin? I don't think there is a drunk out there who has caused someone to die that will admit they started out intending to kill someone that night. Seems that think very clearly afterwards. Many may argue there is nothing wrong with liqour - until someone close to them dies because of liquor. Then, if only earlier, all liqour had been removed from the Earth. All the money spent on liquor is not equal to one life.

Is drinking a sin? Depends on how you are or have been affected. Is taking a life a sin?

If someone's Profile has that they drink socially I move on.

Sorry for the soap box. That's where I stand though.

God bless,

Lloyd

Page : 1 2