Author Thread: Why do men ask for social media accounts after just a few back and forth conversations
HazelEyesSparkle

View Profile
History
Why do men ask for social media accounts after just a few back and forth conversations
Posted : 29 Sep, 2023 09:56 PM

I notice I will be talking to a man and after a few back-and-forth conversations, a man will ask for my social media accounts. We don't even really know anything about each other. I don't feel comfortable giving that information out unless I really get to know someone on here. Is this a new thing now?

austin93a^

View Profile
History
Why do men ask for social media accounts after just a few back and forth conversations
Posted : 30 Sep, 2023 01:04 AM

this is about as new as online dating and social media.... mostly just people who lack the skills needed to talk and get to know you will ask for it so they can get an idea of what type of person you are.

fiy its not hard to find someone on social media with the most basic information and it's completely public information.... don't be so paranoid about people wanting it, if they really wanted it they can find it with a little looking with the information in your profile and a few basic questions.

Handyman62

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Sep, 2023 08:33 AM

Typically when a person whether male or female ask for your social media information it's because they want to sell it and also to pull you off this site in order to try and con you in other ways.

Just refuse to give it until you have spent a lot more time getting to know them here. The good one's will rise to the top and the scum will slide off the map.

HazelEyesSparkle

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Sep, 2023 09:35 PM

I'm with Handyman62 on this one

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Oct, 2023 03:31 AM

In this day & age most people have some social media presence so by asking for your social media accounts. They verify you're a real person but it also gives them access to information that you may not be comfortable sharing with a stranger. ie your name location & personal photos...:-)

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Oct, 2023 12:39 PM

Best not to give out any person info until you feel comfortable.

When I gave out my phone number I felt comfortable to do that, to talk for Hours often to meet In Person.

Dating went well.

Not seeking a spouse online like many young women.

I had success on another Christian site.

ajl378492

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Nov, 2023 02:13 PM

It's probably for verification purposes, especially since quite a few scammers have been to this website (and have been banned by CDFF). In fact, I will be posting something about verification in this forum.

FDCWillard^

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Nov, 2023 09:43 AM

Of course it's asked for, it's one of the only ways people have to verify you are a real live boy or girl.... that you are not a bot or pretending to be someone you are not.

It increasingly is useless though as people are deleting their accounts out of fear of recrimination for past comments.

Handyman62

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Nov, 2023 11:51 AM

"Of course it's asked for, it's one of the only ways people have to verify you are a real live boy or girl.... that you are not a bot or pretending to be someone you are not."

Generally speaking it doesn't take long for a scammer to reveal themselves and asking for some other social media contact information is a common tactic.

So I think it's best to give them plenty of rope to hang themselves here first, before giving up any other information that can and will be sold to others.

Clark0829

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Nov, 2023 08:07 PM

I think it depends on the guy. I've heard of some guys who want to get the conversation off of the dating app ASAP because

Clark0829

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Nov, 2023 08:07 PM

I hit cancel message, oops lol