Author Thread: Personal information sharing
Mulungi50

View Profile
History
Personal information sharing
Posted : 28 Jan, 2024 10:22 AM

I have noticed with great concern that many guys here send you a wink, say hi and without even introducing themselves ask for a phone contact. Am just wondering what do people do with these numbers?

And two, should i get insulted if i share a contact that i can be accessed even if it is not my private number? How does this make me a bad person with bad intentions if am just protecting myself?

JamesEG

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Jan, 2024 10:54 AM

I would not give out any personal information to an initial contact. I would keep communication limited to this site until knowing much more information about a contact.

I receive many contacts from women who leave a phone number or WhatsApp contact, and I ignore them. Most eventually have their accounts deleted by CDFF. I'm guessing many are spammers.

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Jan, 2024 04:24 PM

Am just wondering what do people do with these numbers?

My answer: I would call that a monstrous red flag that you're dealing with a scammer. I see no reason why communication on a dating website (especially one that's supposedly free) should require you to divulge personally identifying information of any kind until you’ve well established each other’s legitimacy. I’ve been deeply concerned about how easily scammers can obtain and do harm with personal information, so this post definitely strikes a nerve with me. I’ve heard that some pretty bad things can be done with just your phone number. I’m not sure how many of the possibilities I’ve heard about are real. They did, after all, come from the internet (and everything on the internet is true, right?). Nevertheless, it seems to be a problem that is getting worse, not better, and you’re absolutely NOT a bad person for trying to protect yourself against it.

And two, should i get insulted if i share a contact that i can be accessed even if it is not my private number?

My answer: Absolutely not! In general, I would recommend for everyone reading this to set up a throw-away skype or facebook account that uses none of your actual personal information if you’re planning to communicate off the dating site for video or live chats at some point. I don’t understand why legitimate users of a dating site would ghost or insult another user for wanting to keep their conversation on the site or meet in person before giving out any personal contact information. If you’re able to communicate for free on the site, I don’t understand why the dating site is such a terrible inconvenience. Not only that, but being protective of your own data in this way ultimately protects both people in the conversation.

"How does this make me a bad person with bad intentions if am just protecting myself?"

My answer: It doesn't, not by a country mile. If they’re saying that you're a bad person for giving contact info that doesn't actually divulge any of your private info, that’s just them trying to guilt you into giving more information. Don’t fall for it. Their tantrum/insults/ghosting is nothing more than the sound of you dodging a bullet.

Stay safe, and God bless! The internet was and remains the "wild west." You're doing the right things by protecting yourself out here!