Author Thread: pulling the plug
Admin

pulling the plug
Posted : 21 Dec, 2009 12:35 AM

dear folks, what are your thoughts and feelings on doctors pulling the plug on folks who are thought to be dead already? and just being kept alive by the machines?

also what do you think about the doctors starving folks to death that are able to breathe sit up, moan and groan ect.. are kept alive by feeding tubes, but yet are concidered dead already?

thanks

ole cattle

GraceMae

View Profile
History
pulling the plug
Posted : 21 Dec, 2009 06:28 AM

Cattleman, this is really a tough one for me to answer. I can only imagine if this were someone in my family--how would I handle. Well, a number of factors I'd have to consider like, how long they've been in that state, was there instructions from the person directly on what to do in event of certain health conditions, or inability to make there own decisions anymore. Also determinant factors like how long they've been in that state, 3 yrs?? could have a financial impact--no change in improvement.

I don't know. I'd have to pray on it, and wait on God to give me direction with hopes that if I had to make a decision like "pulling the plug" I would get the right "peace" from the decision.

Thought provoking question. Thank you Cattleman

*GraceMae

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
pulling the plug
Posted : 21 Dec, 2009 07:55 AM

Ole cattle, that's a really hard one. In some ways, pulling the plug in ANY circumstance is sort of like murder, euthanasia, or assisted suicide (in the case of a living will situation).

If it were me... If I showed no brain activity, and if my body was alive just because of machines, I honestly think that I would rather my family pull the plug so that I could go on to Heaven to be with God. Maybe that's selfish of me, but I know I'd be in a better place.

I honestly hope that I never have to make a decision like that for someone, though. And I hope my family never has to make that decision about me.

If someone is responsive, but dependent on machines, that's a whole different story. Starving a responsive (even if brain damaged) person by removing a feeding tube is wrong, in my opinion. What's the difference between that, or starving a severely mentally handicapped person? Or starving a person who can't feed themselves because of neurological/physical issues? It's something to think about.

View Profile
History
pulling the plug
Posted : 21 Dec, 2009 08:24 AM

dear folks, it truely is a tough one for me.. i really dont know what id do if put in the first situation.. and even though i know their wishes ,i still dont know if i could do so..

yet if the machine is all thats keepin them breathing and alive ,no brain activity ,then technically they are already dead.. and theres nothing anyone can do.. unless GOD stepped in and performed a miracle.. i just dont know what id do..

as for the second one i dont believe in starving a animal to death much less a human being.. and these people are breathing on their own.. its not like you just pull the plug and theyre gone .. but yet they will remain alive and suffer for a time after you stop feedin them..

most of us if we cant take our lunch break right at 12 we can get right unruly hehe.. and on a hot day if we cant get summin to drink imagine how that feels and multiply it..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
pulling the plug
Posted : 22 Dec, 2009 08:26 AM

I have a living will.It says 3 day on life support only.It is my choice.

View Profile
History
pulling the plug
Posted : 22 Dec, 2009 12:14 PM

dear dg, thats a very good idea.. takes the burden of it off of the family..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
pulling the plug
Posted : 22 Dec, 2009 12:30 PM

I've been through this with my Mother God rest her soul. It happened really fast. She had a ulcerated intestine. She never complained. By the time we got her to the hospital she was very ill. Then her heart clogged an the only course was angio plasty. She was so weak...and...code blue an brain dead per the doctor...I turned off the machines and sat with Dad until the line went flat...Its not easy.... :-(

Starvin people who are consious...I wouldn't even do that to a mean bad dog. When my Dad had his last heart attack I moved home to take of him. He needed Dialysis and special foods. Towards the end of his transission he was unable to eat solid food or drink water...so...I ordered a special bed, I-V's, baby food an a eye dropper for water from Hospice...my decision. he was my Father and deserves the best...Its never easy.... :-(

View Profile
History
pulling the plug
Posted : 22 Dec, 2009 02:13 PM

dear jude, im so sorry to hear you had to do that.. and for what you went through.. i cant begin to imagine what you went through.. thank you for sharing with us ..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
pulling the plug
Posted : 22 Dec, 2009 02:46 PM

Dear Cattle, thanxs for the kind words. I didnt have to do any of it. I chose to, I got to and thats the Blessin...xo

GraceMae

View Profile
History
pulling the plug
Posted : 22 Dec, 2009 05:53 PM

God continue to bless you GodsJude. I can only imagine. Both my parents are in their late seventies and living in different cities. Can only wonder what would happen if.... BUT I know God knows and will equip us with the right response I hope for.

Cattleman, I do believe that's my answer, God would lead me.

GraceMae

View Profile
History
pulling the plug
Posted : 23 Dec, 2009 07:39 AM

Dennis is on to something!

Why not simply learn about the options, prayerfully consider your course and then make your wishes known? Some treatments offered when a patient approaches death are burdensome, dangerous and futile. There are risks and benefits to be weighed for everything. Not every Christian will make identical decisions.

Everyone over 18 should have some kind of advanced directive in place. Most do not require the advice of a lawyer to be made legal. The living will has been around a while. There's also the very user friendly "Five Wishes". The Physician's Order for Life Sustaining Treatment (POLST) is gaining popularity up here in MN.

When I had surgery last year I filled out the brief and simple MN Health Care Directive and appointed my sons to speak for me if I couldn't. We had a heart to heart discussion about my beliefs and wishes in the highly UNLIKELY case that something would go haywire in surgery. I gave copies to my sisters, my doc and the hospital so that everyone would be singing on the same page. My page!

Sure, there have been situations where unethical health care providers have not been willing to honor an advanced directive. But doing my homework before the fact assures me that my nearest and dearest won't have to guess about how the Lord was guiding me.

The sacred days that precede the end of life are a time for reconciliation, spiritual growth, affirmation and love. An advanced directive is my gift to my boys to spare them the agony of uncertainty during this precious time.

Page : 1 2