Author Thread: What is your favorite "LOVE" Movie or Story?
Admin

What is your favorite "LOVE" Movie or Story?
Posted : 25 Dec, 2009 06:58 PM

Folks...What movie sticks in your mind as far as being a great Love Story? What comes to my mind first is "The Princess Bride". It was funny, yet spoke to something dear to my Heart -- True Love and what one will do...or endure for it.

So..what are your favorites and tell us why...and also anything about the characters that you liked or would want in your spouse.

Thanks

Peace

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2009 07:22 PM

I, too, love the Princess Bride...it's a great love story!

Another favorite is Beauty and the Beast. I guess I'm just a romantic at heart, but I love the way that Belle fell in love with the Beast for who he was, and not for the way he looked. And of course everything worked out perfectly in the end, just like all good fairy tales should!

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2009 07:35 PM

Beth,

How realistic is that? I mean the not caring about his appearence part? I never saw the movie...so I am a bit lost.

Thanks

GraceMae

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2009 08:16 PM

Bed of Roses...

with Christian Slater and Mary Stuart Masterson. In my private collection, I watch it at least once a year. It's about a high-powered investment banker who receives flowers from a secret admirer. She is literally swept off her feet by him. He fell in love with her after one glimpse. It's a sweet and sentimental romance thats focus is on the healing power that love and companionship offer. To quote one of the reviews...

"two seemingly ill matched individuals who find love together and learn alot about themselves in the process.. definite message of accepting people with all their faults and weaknesses as the unique individuals they are."

Old fashioned romance. Made me feel warm. And there were very beautiful shots of flowers, roses, beautiful. Everything the male character portrayed would be just so ideal in my future spouse. One of my favorites.

GraceMae

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2009 08:54 PM

Arch, I doubt it's realistic at all...that's part of the charm of the story!

The story is basically this: A girl is forced to live in a castle with a horrible, ugly beast. She doesn't know, however, that he used to be a handsome prince who had a curse put on him because of his selfishness. He must remain a beast until he learns to be kind, generous, and selfless. Only then, when a girl has fallen in love with him because of his inner beauty will the beast become a handsome prince once again. In the story, Belle (the girl) does fall in love with him in spite of his appearance, breaking the curse. And they lived happily ever after. :hearts:

Yeah, it's unrealistic, but come on...it's a fairy tale! I know that personally, I'd probably have to be at least a little attracted to someone before I made the decision to get to know him better. But I can still love the idea, can't I? LOL

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2009 09:22 PM

dear folks, pride and prejudice..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2009 09:41 PM

"A Walk to Remember" movie... really made me cry..

GraceMae

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2009 09:49 PM

Another favorite - A Patch of Blue (starring Sidney Poitier, Shelley Winters, Wallace Ford, and Elizabeth Hartman - 1965)

It's an oldie, and I can't say it any better than the review... "

"Elizabeth Hartman, plays the part of Selina D'Arcy, an eighteen year old blind girl who lives an isolated and impoverished, almost Dickensian, existence. She lives with her abusive mother, Rose-Ann (Shelley Winters), who moonlights as a prostitute, and her drunken, though somewhat well-meaning, grandfather, whom she calls Ole Pa (Wallace Ford). Uneducated, having never gone to school, Selina spends her time stringing beads to earn some money for the family, cleaning up after her mother and grandfather, and being at the receiving end of constant physical abuse and verbal invectives heaped upon her by her mother. Hers is, indeed, a draconian existence.

One day, she prevails upon her grandfather to drop her off in the park, where she proceeds to sit under a tree, stringing her beads. There, she meets a kindly, well-educated business man, Gordon Ralphe (Sidney Poitier), who takes an interest in her and her quick appreciation for any kindness done to her. She responds to Gordon's kindness as if she were a flower turning its face to the sun for continued warmth. He, in turn, is touched by her eager interest in even the most mundane of matters. They continue to meet under that tree as often as possible, and a relationship develops.

Under Gordon's tutelage, Selina begins to blossom. Some of her disclosures to him about her life fill him with horror and a determination to do something constructive about it. While he goes about trying to improve her quality of life, their relationship deepens, despite the warnings of Gordon's brother. After all, Selina is white, uneducated, and comes from a trashy, dysfunctional family, while Gordon is black, well-educated, and from a good family.

Selina, sure that what she feels is love, is less restrained than Gordon about her feelings, though their budding romance culminates in nothing more than a chaste kiss. When Rose-Ann finds out whom Selina has been meeting, however, matters come to a head, and Gordon comes to the rescue. A modern day knight in shining armor, however, Gordon does the selfless thing in the end.

This is a wonderful movie in which the two main protagonists, Gordon and Selina, judge each other by the content of their respective character and not by the color of their skin. Though controversial at the time, this film may seem a little dated by today's standards. Yet, some of its themes are as fresh today as when it was filmed. The notion of selflessness and putting the needs of another before one's own remains timeless."

A beautiful story!

GraceMae

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Dec, 2009 08:50 AM

Bed of Roses....gotcha! I'm going out and finding that movie today!

A tisket....a tasket!

A green and yellow basket!

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Dec, 2009 09:01 AM

Thanks BC...I remember the story now.

Great Movies!

What was that one with what's his name...Keanu Reeves(?). Where he is coming home from overseas and he is in the military and ends up helping this woman convince her father that she is married (her father owns a vineyard). 'Walk in the Clouds' (?).

What about the one with Arnold Sowhatshisnature where he say's "I'll be back!".

daddysgirl820

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Dec, 2009 03:34 PM

A couple of movies come to mind but Id have to go with "The Ultimate Gift". It's a love story on many levels; man/woman, parent/child, friends, etc. The overriding story teaches the "value" of true, unconditional love. A moving movie that I recommend to everyone.

Enjoy, and have a safe, healthy, joy-filled and (3 John 1:2) prosperous 2010 to you and yours!

Page : 1 2 3 4