Author Thread: Divorce after Adultery
GraceMae

View Profile
History
Divorce after Adultery
Posted : 22 Feb, 2010 10:06 PM

Do you feel adultery warrants divorce? With all the talk in the news recently about politicians, celebrities in the entertainment and sports world, and of course golfers escapades...the stances their spouses have taken, want to know what your views, and thoughts are.

BTW... I think marraige does not say that if adultery occurs, that it is an accceptable reason alone for divorce. I got to dig up my scripture, but just wanted to start the thread. (I did look but didn't see another posted anywhere recently)

~ GraceMae

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Divorce after Adultery
Posted : 23 Feb, 2010 07:32 AM

Matthew 19:9:

And I say unto you. Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whose marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

I don't think you HAVE to get divorced just because of fornication...but it also usually entails a massive breach of trust...and with a breach of trust such as that...it would be hard to reconcile, and you can see why it would be the only truly legitimate reason for divorce in a union that started with God's blessing and ended in betrayal. If it's possible to reconcile...then by all means...

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Divorce after Adultery
Posted : 23 Feb, 2010 02:21 PM

It depends on the circumstances.Sometimes you can fix it if it is the 1st time.Repeated times becomes out of control.

King david did not lose his other wives when he had Bathsheba.

View Profile
History
Divorce after Adultery
Posted : 1 Mar, 2010 12:38 PM

The teachings of Jesus in the Gospels seem to be directed at the Jews and He was discussing the Law verses the teachings of the Rabbi's. As a Rabbi himself He was bringing the Pharisees back to the Truth of the Law and saying that no man (Moses or the Rabbi's) has the authority to "overrule" the original plan of God.

It seems that 1 Cor 7 and Eph 5 both agree with the laws of the OT. There is more information regarding the believer being separated from the unbeliever etc. but the point is that there is no acceptable reason for divorce except in the case of the unbeliever leaving. Otherwise the married couple is told to reconcile.

I have trouble with what exactly an "unbeliever" is even though we are told that by definition this is a person that is not a Christian. I also have questions about what we are to believe when we are abandoned by a person professing faith in God but who does not respect the Word and wants out because of irreconcilable differences.

Thunder

GraceMae

View Profile
History
Divorce after Adultery
Posted : 1 Mar, 2010 08:34 PM

Thanks gentlemen for sharing. Thunder, you bring up some good questions too. Particularly your last paragraph. I am interested in the feedback to come. ~ GraceMae

View Profile
History
Divorce after Adultery
Posted : 2 Mar, 2010 05:11 PM

Do you feel adultery warrants divorce? With all the talk in the news recently about politicians, celebrities in the entertainment and sports world, and of course golfers escapades...the stances their spouses have taken, want to know what your views, and thoughts are.

BTW... I think marraige does not say that if adultery occurs, that it is an accceptable reason alone for divorce. I got to dig up my scripture, but just wanted to start the thread. (I did look but didn't see another posted anywhere recently)

~ GraceMae

Yes, I feel adultery warrants divorce. To me after a long or even short marriage of knowing the person and developing the faith of each other, then facing a cheating partner it would become null to me with feeling of betrayal

View Profile
History
Divorce after Adultery
Posted : 2 Mar, 2010 06:10 PM

Matthew 19:9:

"And I say unto you. Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whose marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery."

This verse is reiterating Old Testament law. There is a distinct difference between "putting away" and "divorce".

The words in the Greek and Hebrew are different. The KJV rightly translates the difference.

In Deut., "putting away" is an illegal and unlawful divorce. "Putting away" in the O.T. meant to throw the woman out on the street without a proper written, delivered decree of divorce.

With a written decree, it meant the woman could legally remarry. Without a decree, she would be committing adultery. The husband who divorced his wife in the O.T. had to make sure she was taken care of and could survive.

Jesus reiterated the O.T. law on this. He did not nullify it.

In the O.T., if a wife did not please the husband, he could lawfully divorce her.

The O.T. allows for divorce, but only if the husband made sure the wife could survive.

View Profile
History
Divorce after Adultery
Posted : 5 Mar, 2010 05:02 PM

Friends while driving down the road today i thought on this very thing. some of you ladies will find this funny.

After a concert at a fair Lorretta Lynn found her husband in the back seat with another woman.This was in front of her friends.

What did she do?

She wrote that number #1 hit, " You ain't woman enough to take my man".

Talk about getting even.Dennis

shepherdingking

View Profile
History
Divorce after Adultery
Posted : 16 Mar, 2010 09:41 PM

Historically, wives forgive husbands much more than a husband would forgive an unfaithful wife. There is a clear double standard here for men and women. If the woman finds no favor(Deut. 24:1-4) there can be no marriage. Why people do not see this,I do not know. From a medical stand point it is clear. Marriage requires that the man be visually stimulated enough to rise up and consummate the marriage and produce children. if the wife has "no favor in his eyes" it is a problem. And it may be rather embarrassing for the grooms family. Hardheartedness comes from the practice called "agunah" of putting away a wife without giving her a writing of divorce.

It can really go either way. Divorce after adultery or forgiveness and reconciliation. But It depends on what the man wants. Joseph had second thoughts about Mary and was willing to put her away. And he was a just man. :dunce:

mightbeblasphemy

View Profile
History
Divorce after Adultery
Posted : 23 Mar, 2010 03:10 PM

We should all live more like king David? Confused me.

View Profile
History
Divorce after Adultery
Posted : 31 Mar, 2010 06:06 PM

First of all, let me come at you with another way to look at this. My background is rather interesting in this subject. I have been cheated on by my ex-husband. I sought help from my minister who tried to contact him. So from my experiece here's what I think. First of all I can't make my ex get back together and seek help. He must want it too. Divorce in my situation was inevitable. Second of all to compare these times with biblical times... The punishment for adultry was to be stoned. Just some things to think about.

Page : 1 2