Author Thread: Different Denomination
Admin

Different Denomination
Posted : 2 Mar, 2010 06:25 PM

I'm wondering if you meet someone and everything is just right as far as compatability goes but you are different denominations. You are both christian of course but one is say Presbyterian and the other Pentecostal or Lutheran and Evangelical. What ever the combination.

How would you resolve it, or can it be resolved?

View Profile
History
Different Denomination
Posted : 2 Mar, 2010 08:51 PM

I think it is important that you are on the same page on the major points of Theology, and those vary with different people, but I wouldn't sweat the small stuff too much. It's important to me that we pray together, seek Truth with the same fervency, have the same level of faith in God and can work together to accomplish whatever God has for us to do. If we aren't compatible because of our denominational differences then we can still be friends, right?

Thunder

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Different Denomination
Posted : 3 Mar, 2010 07:50 AM

I'm actually dealing with this right now. The guy I'm seeing is Presbyterian, and I'm Baptist. We talked about our denominational differences nearly as soon as we started communicating online, and found that we agree on most points, and certainly all major theological issues. The stuff we don't agree on is just not "big enough" to cause us concern. We've talked about it, and come to a compromise on the one issue that we were worried about -- baptism.

Of course, it's easier for me to agree with some denominations than it would be for me to agree with others. I would have a really hard time seriously dating and marrying someone who is a member of a very charismatic denomination. No offense to them, of course...I teach at a Pentecostal Holiness college, and love my siblings in Christ very much. I just think it would cause problems in marriage because there are some significant differences. I would also have a hard time dating/marrying someone from a very ritualistic, liturgical (and often liberal) church, such as Episcopalian, Catholic, or Anglican. Again, no offense...I have friends from those churches, but the differences would cause problems in a marriage. The easiest to accept denominations: Presbyterian, some Methodist, Christian (the conservative congregations), Missionary Alliance, and some more conservative Assemblies of God congregations. I'm sure there are others too that I'm not so familiar with.

Razman

View Profile
History
Different Denomination
Posted : 3 Mar, 2010 12:07 PM

I hate the word Denomination.We are all one family in Christ be it Baptist,Pentacostal,Protestant etc...Dont sweat it if you dont agree on the small stuff.If you have been born again and on your way to heaven who cares who is right.The church i go to is Pentacostal but I put Non Denominational on my profile cuz I truly believe we are all one in Christ.When we get to heaven there will be no Denominations:glow:

So dont worry about it riveroflife if you meet someone who is compatible and they love Jesus and live according to the word of God I say stay with that person and see where it goes.

patou

View Profile
History
Different Denomination
Posted : 5 Mar, 2010 12:56 AM

I agree with Thunder, but the question is when both of you are serious enough to marry each other; are you willing to change your denomination? Just my thought!

Ida :glow:

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Different Denomination
Posted : 5 Mar, 2010 06:59 AM

Ida, those are my thoughts too. I do consider a guy's denomination before getting too serious. I know that I wouldn't be willing to change to some denominations, so for me to seriously date him and then dump him would be wrong.

And somehow I'd feel funny about asking him to change to my denomination unless he suggested it first. I want my husband to be the spiritual leader of the home, and if I required him to go to MY church, that seems a bit contradictory.

View Profile
History
Different Denomination
Posted : 5 Mar, 2010 09:17 AM

I will give personal testamony. My uncle is catholic and he married a Lutherern.They both went to their churches and got along just fine.Dennis

patou

View Profile
History
Different Denomination
Posted : 5 Mar, 2010 04:45 PM

Hello bc! Are you saying you're limiting yourself because of different denomination? Don't get me wrong sis, but that's not a good thing to consider. What if a guy came along, a true servant of God; are you going to ignore him just because of different denomination?

Ida :waving:

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Different Denomination
Posted : 5 Mar, 2010 07:54 PM

Hi Ida,

Yes, in some ways that's true...I'm limiting myself to guys who belong to denominations that I can agree with. I know that a lot of people don't think that's right of me, but I know how I handle things like that...if my husband and I couldn't agree most of the time on spiritual matters, it would be a point of contention in a marriage. I do have very strong convictions about certain things. Now that's not to say that God couldn't work things out or change my mind or the guy's mind. God is bigger than I am, and far more wise (of course!). But until He does so, I chose to content myself with looking for a guy who already is a good match in spiritual matters. And God is so good to me! I met a great guy who is of a different denomination, but he and I also agree on all major theological issues!

Of course, all that is assuming that I'm only dating very seriously with marriage in mind. In casual dating with no thoughts of a long term relationship, I don't think denomination would matter so much.

View Profile
History
Different Denomination
Posted : 8 Mar, 2010 07:34 PM

I dont think God would do anything extreme in my life in that regard. BUT

If He did then it would be amazing to see how he would work it out and it would be to His honor and Glory of course.

jbaspire7

View Profile
History
Different Denomination
Posted : 11 Mar, 2010 11:52 AM

my take on this is, we are all parts of one body. yes, there are dominations, though as much as possible we should unify, this is as important due to our individual differences. remember the tower of babel? even if we are christians, we still live in the flesh and we might all conspire against the will of God (just as the builders of the tower had thought...i think they only wanted what's best) when we all have one mind.

the bottomline is, let's focus on Jesus, polish our walk with him and obey.

God bless!

Page : 1 2 3