Author Thread: Facebook, Myspace, etc
gracegrace

View Profile
History
Facebook, Myspace, etc
Posted : 25 Apr, 2010 03:52 PM

2Co 6:14 Do not keep company with those who have not faith: for what is there in common between righteousness and evil, or between light and dark? (BBE)

or in the KJV

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

How does this apply to social networking sites? Or, does it apply to them? I am on Facebook and have 830+ friends there because I play some of the games on Facebook. I am certain that some of these people are not believers.

Should I delete them as friends? What are your thoughts on this issue as related to this Scripture?

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Facebook, Myspace, etc
Posted : 25 Apr, 2010 04:39 PM

I'm on both Facebook and Myspace.

The Myspace account was started strictly for communicating with fellow fans of a particular music group. I rarely even log on, and I will likely delete the account soon.

The Facebook account, however, is regularly used. I love it. It's a great way to keep in touch with out-of-town friends and family, reconnect with old friends, and stay connected with new friends even when life is crazy. I don't accept friend requests from people that I don't know personally. Therefore, most of my "friends" are real-life friends, and most of them happen to be Christians. Not all, of course, but most.

I've always thought that those verses that you posted have more to do with a marriage or dating relationship than they do with casual friendship. We have to work among non-believers. We have to live among them. If we close ourselves off and have nothing to do with them, we lose a great many witnessing opportunities. We should NOT, however, allow them to influence our lives.

If I were you, I'd delete those people on your "friend list" that you don't know personally. Just for safety's sake. But if you don't want to do that, then no, I wouldn't delete the unbelievers. Not unless they are posting offensive material that makes you very uncomfortable. Goodness, even one or two of my Christian Facebook friends that I know very well are hidden from my News Feed because of the stuff they post.

So that's my opinion on the subject.

View Profile
History
Facebook, Myspace, etc
Posted : 25 Apr, 2010 04:56 PM

I thought this would address to departing from pagan religions, like: Don't have fellowship in worshipping ...

View Profile
History
Facebook, Myspace, etc
Posted : 25 Apr, 2010 07:45 PM

I'm not sure how this would apply to social networking. I think this has more to do with those with whom we have relationships. I think it applies to friendships, dating, marriage, business, and others kinds of relationships that require constant vigilance and maintenance. Social networking is a rather odd thing to consider here because these verses have more to do with what will influence you or conflict with your morals and beliefs. I have friends on myspace like Eric Clapton and James Taylor and I don't think they are Christians but I don't do business with them or consider them personal friends. I really doubt that we would be unless Eric wanted to play on one of my CD's!! :ROFL:

Thunder

gracegrace

View Profile
History
Facebook, Myspace, etc
Posted : 25 Apr, 2010 09:16 PM

Hey Thunder,

If he did, I would buy it! :party:

I am still a little conflicted about this. I guess because some of the people do post comments that are not Christlike. The worst ones I have blocked from the newsfeed.

I have typically heard these verses applied to situations related to long term relationships such as marriage, close friends or business relationships. When I read the version of it in the Bible in Basic English it seems to include even more casual associations. That is when I started thinking. :winksmile:

The other versions I read are more like the KJV and seem to be referring to a partnering or coming together to accomplish a common goal. I guess the games could be that, but harvesting a crop on Farmville or playing Uno is probably not the intent of the verse, huh? :bouncy:

Mafia Wars is the issue really and the main source of the extra "friends".

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Facebook, Myspace, etc
Posted : 25 Apr, 2010 10:12 PM

I don't think that verse was referring to "friendship" with unbelievers. Maybe business partners...spouses...church members....not friends. Friends are like family...but they lead separate lives for the most part. I think the bible is warning about "yoking" yourself to people you aren't planning to be separated from...the ones you share a large part of your life with...

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Facebook, Myspace, etc
Posted : 25 Apr, 2010 10:44 PM

A word about yoking. When animals are yoked they are in a bond that can only be broken by the one that yoked them. When they are yoked together they must work cooperatively in order to make progress. They have to learn how to work with another animal when they are yoked. If they try to go in opposite directions they get nowhere or the weaker animal goes along with the stronger animal. In every case of animals being yolked it is for the purpose of labor. They are directed by a driver so that they stay together on the same path or course in order to accomplish their purpose.

Therefore, when the Bible tells us not to be unequally yoked with an unbeliever it means that we are not to get into a relationship of any kind with an unbeliever when the object of the relationship is to accomplish any kind of objective or purpose. I agree that we can be associates of unbelievers but perhaps we should not have a meaningful and deep friendship with them. I have heard many times that if you have two friends you are very blessed. Well, if that's the case for me I want them both to be Christians.

Thunder

View Profile
History
Facebook, Myspace, etc
Posted : 26 Apr, 2010 02:57 PM

hmmm...well I have run across several people who I went to school with and they are my friends on facebook. What could I do about it? disregard their friend request?

I couldnt do that...Jesus ate with the strangest people. His treasurer betrayed Him and stole from the treasury.

at first I was emberassed because sometimes they have revealing photos and they use bad language but I try and give them Jesus every chance I get. I should be priveleged that they even want to be my friend because of MY faith. usually people run the other way when they know your a christian. I dont shove it on them but I do give it to them even if it's just telling them I am praying for their family or whatever crisis they are in. I make myself available and love them.

Hope this helps,

Riveroflife

View Profile
History
Facebook, Myspace, etc
Posted : 26 Apr, 2010 08:48 PM

What Thunder said was pretty good and inline with the word, I believe a key word here is fellowship, how does darkness fellowship with light, and the yoke principle, you will be worn out if you enter a yoke with an unbeliever, even at times a believer can really be a weight. You see this thruout the old testament the lord continually told his people to stay from the non Jews, that you be not influenced by their Gods.

Can to walk together unless they agree?

SOS4EMAILFRIEND

View Profile
History
Facebook, Myspace, etc
Posted : 27 Apr, 2010 04:53 AM

Hmmmm

Facebook, myspace and all other virtual realities are not so much about fellowship in the first place.

In fact, it substitutes the lack of fellowship. We only go sit behind our computerscreen on the few and rare moments that "nobody else needs us"

I do not think it a danger, unless you believe that it is an answer or solution (for that lack of fellowship).

If it is just a tiny amusement, why should you delete your page?

Also I do not believe that non-believers are not worth being friends with. I have often seen that people who do not believe, actually start doubting their own philosofies, through friendships with christians. Moreover it could well be the only way for them to get in touch with christianity, as they usually are fully blocked for all church and preach approach.

It is my experience that both believers and nonbelievers struggle with the same big questions of life. The only difference actually is, is how we christians deal with it. Answers which are crystal clear to us, are not known outside christian circles. Therefore nonbelievers have invented other answers which only work if you deny the existence of a Creator and Ruler of the universe.

Sooner or later, the ways of nonbelievers turn out to be a full dead end. I think it is a good thing to be around when it does.... as a friend. Not seldom you will be the only one, they have left!

View Profile
History
Facebook, Myspace, etc
Posted : 27 Apr, 2010 10:30 PM

Grace,

I called Eric last night on my new Fender phone and asked him to play on my new CD. He's a little busy with a project with George Harrison and BB King but said he'd take some time out to lay down some tracks for me!! Then he said , "Wait. Who is this really? Cuz you don't sound like Tom Petty." :ROFL::ROFL:

Thunder :rocknroll: totally!