Author Thread: Can you be a Christian and a liberal?
Admin

Can you be a Christian and a liberal?
Posted : 15 Jun, 2010 03:30 PM

I don't understand how one can be a liberal, believe in abortion, homosexuality, big government, etc and still be a born again Christian. I feel it goes against everything in the Bible. Am I from another planet??

hubbarddebra99

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Sep, 2010 01:41 PM

convertmuse,

Right on sister!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You for having the corrage to say it, your beliefs are just like mine! I love my gay friends and I also believe it is NOT a choice, but a part of how a person brain works, just as some of us are right handed but a few of us are left handed. Illegal abortions killed many, many woman, and put money into the hands of "back-street buchers" Do we REALLY want to go back to that?!? Debby

Mercymay

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Sep, 2010 10:57 PM

If we compare views of long ago and today, I believe people are becoming liberal, though the bible remains the same. I think this is so because of media, young people are groomed to be more materialistic. Young and old are groomed to see perversions. Sin seen too often kind of become acceptable practice?

There was kind of research done by a homosexual who believed was because he was molested at young age. After becoming born again, he invited his homosexual friends, there were around 30 of them. He asked if they also experienced being molested at young age and all of them were positive. Being molested is not a choice, sometimes it depends on the guardian, sometimes could not be helped maybe like poverty caused it?

Based on this, I think this is how satan plant the seed of homosexuality. It is the choice of the individual to prune it and I think pruning or developing the tendency to homosexuality depends so much on the environment. Surely they need help, support, and prayers not condemnation.

With regards to abortion, again it is a choice, sometimes women even don't have that choice. Just recently, a Filiipina domestic helper in the Middle East gave birth in a plane right before landing and threw her new born baby in the plane's trash. According to her, she was raped by her employer and luckily the wife sent her home. Imagine the possibility if her pregnancy was known before she was on the plane. The baby was discovered on time and he is well. I don't think what she did is right, but I don't think also that she was in her right mind at that moment of giving birth and throwing away.

My own view is that, abortion maybe allowed when there is danger to life of the mother and on rape cases but depending on the mother. She might be strong enough to keep and love the baby or she might be more traumatized. I cannot make the choice for her. I think what society must do is help women to not make that choice at all.

Our government here is moving towards that action, helping women to avoid that choice by reproductive health education. But being a catholic country, again that church here is messing with our laws. We cannot move on, so poor Philippines will always be called factory of people and in the business of exporting its citizens, even spare parts like kidneys and eyes though that is made illegal now. But mind you, declared illegal doesn't mean it has stopped. It is a choice again between hunger or just one kidney, on and on. So many people and not enough left over after corruption.

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Sep, 2010 12:09 PM

As a proud and stout Christian conservative, I agree with the majority of what has been posted. Liberalism and Christianity are like oil and water. In my opinion, due to the atrocious condition and teaching of our schools and the secular influence the media has on these kids, the younger generation of Christians have become more worldly. I think this could be part of what the scriptures are talking about when it refers to an apostasy of the faith in the last days. Just look at how people are defending these issues - science says this, the woman "might" die if, etc. Satan is definitely succeeding in polluting and diluting Christianity...

NicoleMarieG

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Oct, 2010 08:45 PM

I am a liberal Christian. The Religious Society of Friends is a part of Christianity. And I am liberal in terms of politics. So I guess I get to be both.

I am a Friend. I am a feminist. I am a liberal. I am pro-choice. I am pro marriage equality. I am non violent. I am pro gun control laws. I am anti death penalty. I am a activist. I am a pacifist. I am not a vegetarian but I am against animal cruelty. I am almost 23. And I do not find myself blinded of misguided.

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Oct, 2010 09:50 PM

What really matters is if my life lines up with God's word. I can like someone that is gay, but that doesn't mean I like a gay lifestyle. If I opposed what the bible says, how can I say that I'm a Christian, following God's will for my life?

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Oct, 2010 04:12 PM

Covertmuse,

So what you are saying that if you are born gay, it should be ok even though God says that homosexuality is a sin. Do I have that right? Good. Then let me give you some examples.

What if I was born with the overwhelming desire to kill homosexuals, does that make it ok. The answer is no. But I was born to kill them, I just feel it so strongly. I have a moral choice to resist such feelings and follow God's Will.

And, what about babies that are born addicted to crack cocaine. Do we fund their birth habit for life because after all, they were born that way. The answer is no.

People are not born gay. Some men are born with feminine natures but should reject those natures just as all Christians should resist there sinful nature. I have met many men born with these natures who are Christian and it came down to the environment they were raised in. Rejection from their fathers most often. So along comes the gay crowd and shows them acceptance for the first time in his life and he feels validated.

I even know a man personally named Walt Heier, who wrote a book, look it up, about his struggles with wanting to be a woman and actually went through with a sex change operation. Then he found the Lord all over again and today is married to a wonderful Christian woman and is a pastor of Grief Ministries.

Sorry, but the excuse that people had no choice of how they are is invalid. Life is filled with choices. And I suggest that your fun gay friends choose this day who they will follow.

Respectfully submitted with a dash of zeal.

God Bless

roeroe

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Nov, 2010 09:08 AM

To All,

Wow this is a very sensitive question posed...and I probably should stay away, but......

I think everyone validates their view very well! I don't believe in abortion or gay marriage. But I will not judge anyone who does believe in either. I have a personal relationship with Jesus, and I strive for my Heart to be right with Him everyday. And I do fall short, believe me. I'm sure all of us do!!! One way or another.

As far as politics, I don't consider myself Liberal or Conservative,

I don't like the labeling. I won't just vote for someone running for President, just because he's a conservative. Someone mentioned the Death Penalty, which I agree with, Isn't that a conservative view....Is that a Christian view??? Not in my eyes....that's murder! Not to mention Corporate Greed....I don't think that's particularly Christian either... So I think saying you have to be a

Conservative to be a Christian is unfair, because if you really dig deep into Conservatism, you may come up with quite a few issues that don't follow the Word...

roeroe

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Nov, 2010 09:51 AM

And I just wanted to say also...I could be wrong, but

I think big government...relates a little more to the Republican

conservative view than Liberalism.......The rich get richer...

roeroe

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Nov, 2010 10:48 AM

I'm thinkin big business....sorry about that...

Have a Blessed Thanksgiving!!!!!!!! Gratitude and Mercy!!

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jun, 2011 02:46 AM

so true!

Page : 1 2 3