Author Thread: Christian VS. Non-Christian: What's to Debate?
Admin

Christian VS. Non-Christian: What's to Debate?
Posted : 15 Jun, 2010 06:03 PM

Be ye not unequally yoked.

I feel you just cannot be involved in a dating relationship with a non-Christian if you truly are following the will of God for your life. The non-Christian will pull you away from your relationship with Jesus, not closer. I've seen this happen so many times it's almost sickening to me anymore. The Israelites were told to destroy all the non-Israelites from the land for a reason- God knew that pagan worship would overcome the Israelites -and their descendants- if those people remained. And sure enough: that's just what happened.

Being "unequally yoked" with a boy/girlfriend who doesn't know Christ at all, or who doesn't know him as well as you do is only inviting trouble, to my way of thinking. How many of us hasn't felt that pull to go out and party? Just once? for old times sake? Or to buy that newest gadget even though we really don't need it and now we haven't the money to tithe or give to God's works properly?

One also has to learn just what the term "Christian" means to the other person, too. I mean, Obama claims to be Christian, but he sure doesn't walk the staight and narrow path of Christ. At least, not that I've been able to observe, anyway.

I feel I cannot get invloved with someone who doesn't know Jesus as intimately as I do. Oh- we'll have differences, of course! But we MUST have shared beliefs or one of us will be very unhappy. We, as Christians, may be living in this world, but we are not supposed to influenced by the things of this world. I should leave my witnessing and testimony to those who do not know him in whom I trust. I shouldn't have to witness or testify to someone I am wanting a relationship with.

IMHO

chakal

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Aug, 2010 02:56 PM

I feel your pain brother Rudy, I'm also somewhat on the same boat.

Actually, my problem is living in a country where Christian are only 5% of the population so it's really hard to think about finding true Christian...let alone meeting or dating them...(most are either foreigner already in a relationship/not interested and the local Christian who converted are hiding in fear of persecution )

So I have no choice other than online dating, and long distance relationship and pray from my heart God bless to help me and others in my situation :prayingf:

SilverFire

View Profile
History
Posted : 31 Aug, 2010 03:42 PM

Yeah I can say from personal experience, if you don't both love Christ, your relationship will blow apart like a basketball in outer space -- that is to say it will first implode and then it will explode. It's not pretty; it's not fun; it's extremely painful.

No matter how many character traits you have in common, you won't be praying together; you won't be worshipping together; you won't be sharing in the deepest experiences of life together.

In short, your relationship will experience epic fail, but God said not to be unequally yoked, didn't He?

riveroflife1

View Profile
History
Posted : 31 Aug, 2010 05:45 PM

yep...dont do it. you will be in for heartache! I agree with silverfire

MaverickUK10

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Dec, 2010 08:28 PM

We need to forget trying to fit God in to our modern world. Petty way of living and self destructive philosophy. I always ask (easier said than done of course) what Jesus would do in any given situation? He would not abandon our non Christian brothers and sisters and he will not expect us to.

It's not a them or us situation. We can only plant the seed of faith in others and leave the rest up to God. It's not our job to convert each other. Our job is to live and love God and lead by example.

Then we pray the seed will take BUT only when they are good and ready. It may be today, tomorrow, next year. Thy will be done.

Jesus did not come among us to force us to believe. He came to plant the seed that we may see the light.

We tend, as usual, to over complicate things and really life can be quite simple. Abide the commandments and *love one another as I have loved you*... once we accept that the rest is easy :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 May, 2011 12:47 AM

To be honest, I used to believe that unequally yoking was not only related to dating relationship/marriages and I still see and have first hand experience to support that cause.

IN relation to dating, for years I fought the idea that character is MORE than being a Christian. However, I've learned overtime that if a person truly loves the Lord, they would have good character. ' You will know them by their fruit.'

(Matthew 7:16)

The issue now is how sensitive is a Christian to the Holy Spirit? Once they are whole and absolutely absorbed in Christ, only then do I think they would sbe most sound in relationship namely marriage.

caes4

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 May, 2012 02:38 AM

hmm. Well, does God teach us to isolate ourselves from temptation and live in a bubble as a hermit? or does God want us to interact with society even though society is full of temptation?

I guess, if you don't feel you are strong enough to resist temptation, then don't enter into a relationship with a non christian? but in general, i don't think its wrong to enter into a relationship with a non christian

Page : 1 2