Author Thread: Xenophobia
Admin

Xenophobia
Posted : 17 Jan, 2011 05:45 AM

:stop:Xenophobia is defined as the "hatred or fear of foreigners or strangers or of their politics or culture".[1] It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "stranger," "foreigner" and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear."

:stop:Xenophobia can manifest itself in many ways involving the relations and perceptions of an ingroup towards an outgroup, including a fear of losing identity, suspicion of its activities, aggression, and desire to eliminate its presence to secure a presumed purity.[3] Xenophobia can also be exhibited in the form of an "uncritical exaltation of another culture" in which a culture is ascribed "an unreal, stereotyped and exotic quality".

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia)

I'm just curious to know how many truly chritians are in this website... you know, I've enjoyed the "living chat" sometimes, and I am suprised to see so many xenophobic people there. Mostly won't talk to someone out of the USA, and when someone from another country try to say a simple "hi" people ignore the person. Why is that? Do people think they will start a relationhip if they say 'hi" back? This is rude, I'm just saying. This is NOT the way a truly Christian should behave.

:stop:�43 You have heard that it was said, you shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.� 44 �But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous‎. 46 �For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 �If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 �Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

(MATTHEW 5:43-48)

:stop:(Leviticus 19:33)"When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong."

:stop:"Foreigners living among you will be like your own people. Love them as you love yourself, because you were foreigners living in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." (Leviticus 19:34)

:stop:"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it" (Hebrews 13:2)

ARE YOU A TRULY CHRISTIAN? SO STOP BEING HYPOCRITICAL AND ACT LIKE ONE.

View Profile
History
Xenophobia
Posted : 17 Jan, 2011 09:50 AM

not sure why you are getting bent out of shape, if someone doesn't want to talk to you, then move on to greener pastures.

Tulip89

View Profile
History
Xenophobia
Posted : 17 Jan, 2011 03:15 PM

The sad truth is that there are many, many women in the Philippines and other countries who make a living scamming Westerners. We're not being xenophobic. We're just tired of being scammed. Not only that, but the chat software on this website is not very good and doesn't work on a lot of people's computers. Often, the people you try to chat just don't receive your message.

View Profile
History
Xenophobia
Posted : 17 Jan, 2011 03:43 PM

Tulip, I think you've missed what I meant. I said that the "Live Chat" people comes and goes and all the people online there are incapable to say a simple "hi" to someone who's just came in. And not only phillipines girls, but mostly,african and other people from different countries too. I've seen also over weight women and men just like old men and women (from the USA & Canada) being ignored by others because they are not "according" to what they are looking for. Ok, but I think a simple "hi" won't kill anybody. I've seen young guys saying rude things to old men and women just because the majority were between 20's 30's (on the general live chat) and this is very sad!

I repeat, this is hypocritical, nobody is asking anybody in marriage or anything. I just think politeness should be teached since childwood and cumpliments like "hi, or good morning/evening/night" just be responded by all.

View Profile
History
Xenophobia
Posted : 17 Jan, 2011 06:00 PM

Hi Girl_woman, thanks for participating in the forums.

If I may comment on an aspect of your post and something that I see repeatedly here and that I disagree with, it's the judging peoples salvation. It seems everyone likes to through out the phrase "true christian". That's not to say there are not a lot of questionable people on the site, but if everyone of us wasn't a Christian because at one time or another we did something that wasn't perfect, well then I don't think there would be ANY christians in the world.

Now to your original point. As Tulip said, there are a ton of scammers on this site, and most if not all are originating out of the US. So something as simple as someone saying hello can easily be perceived as someone starting the procesf of trying to scam. A lot of people get tired of getting contacted by scammers, so they toss everyone in the same pot who is from outside the US. That doesn't mean they have anything against that nationality in real life, but when it comes to this site, well it's just easier to not talk to them.

View Profile
History
Xenophobia
Posted : 17 Jan, 2011 06:02 PM

Oh I should add that there was a pretty big discussion on this topic a week or two ago in the Moral Standards section. You may want to check it out.

View Profile
History
Xenophobia
Posted : 18 Jan, 2011 04:50 AM

@Tulip, I guess you had a bad experience interacting with Filipinos that's why I noticed that you always emphasis Philippines people as scammer. Hopefully someday you will realize that not all Filipinos are bad. May God guide your heart in evaluating the personally of every person you'll meet.

God Bless to all...

View Profile
History
Xenophobia
Posted : 18 Jan, 2011 05:33 AM

Shawn67,

That's my point! How can you people from U.S know that all foreigners are scammers? This is judging! So just because U.S has a little advantage in economy compared to some other countries, that means ALL foreigners are here wanting to live there or asking you people money? This is totally wrong and prejudiced. Just so you know, I've been contacted by men from USA with rude messages/dirty flirts and some of them never get enough, keep sending me those kind of messages. Note that my profile doesn't have anything in pictures or words that would make those "types" of men to sending me those messages. So, please, stop judging foreigners as if we were all less than you people. Because we are not. And again, a simple "hi" won't kill anybody. I may understand people won't feel like to responde in their inbox messages, but in a public forum,we should be polite and less judgmental.

View Profile
History
Xenophobia
Posted : 18 Jan, 2011 05:49 AM

girl_woman

again, the is well covered ground. this is the exact conversation from a few weeks ago. but do you see it from the mens point of view here? you criticize us for not responding to hello. i have had messages in my profile politely saying i do not want any emails from the philipines for which i am critiziced. if someone was to reply to your hello then not continuing talking, someone would be mad about that. So at what point does a person say they would prefer not to communicate with someone from outside the US?

I have traveled and lived around the world. I am glad to date women from anywhere. But I am using some discernment on this site. A large majority of people here from outside the US are either scamming or trying to get to the US. How long should a person wait to learn they have been deceived? Should they take the chance, get involved in a relationship, then get married only to learn one day their wife has left after she has gotten a green card? Why should a person take that risk?

A little story. I have an uncle who worked overseas for many years. He married a woman from the country he was working in. They came back to the states, his wife ended up bringing several family members. Years later the conversation came up who she cared more about, him or her extended family. She said her extended family. For her it was all about what she could do for the rest of her family, financially, getting them here to the US. Just an example.

View Profile
History
Xenophobia
Posted : 18 Jan, 2011 06:09 AM

Is my English that bad or am I writting in Arabic? Who here mentioned DATES? I said LIVE CHATS I said that people on public live chats never respond to a simple "hello" to foreigners there. I never mentioned dates and actually, I've just said in my last post that I think it's ok if people don't like to respond messages to their inbox. But when it comes to a public chat, we all should be to be polite and respond when people say "Good morning/evening/night" That's all! Again, nobody will be killed if they respond that. If you and anybody else were in a doctor's office, and then suddenly someone came into the room, wouldn't you respond if this person say "Good morning" to you? That's what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about dates! Wow

But I guess you and all others don't understand what I say, because you are all self-centered and blind about your own judgments. Narcissism makes people blind. I ask you to re-read my posts and then you will maybe understand what I meant.

View Profile
History
Xenophobia
Posted : 18 Jan, 2011 06:38 AM

girl_woman. you are complaining about xenophobia, yet you are resulting to name calling (not really a christian, self centered, judgmental, etc). We understand you are talking about the live chat. What we are trying to explain is what is happening. Have you read the replies? Even in live chat there are scammers and people just trying to get to the US. As was asked, do you understand it from the guys perspective? Who have had enough bad experiences with profiles from outside the US? People with wrong intentions will use live chat just as easily as IM or email. So again, if a person does not want to deal with these issues, when should they say so or not respond? As I mentioned it is a no win situation for us, everystep in the process, someone is calling us racist for not talking to someone outside the US.

So you say hello to someone. They say hello back. You ask them a question. They answer it. Now they say, thank you for saying hello, but I would prefer not to speak to people outside the US. Or they word it differently. I would only prefer to speak to people that live closer to me. Are you still going to be mad? Maybe you won't, but another member in that situation will. Or you have a nice conversation, afterwards you send them an email. They don't reply. I guarantee you someone will be calling that person racist, xenophobic for not replying.

So please explain, in light of all the scammers here, how is a person supposed to protect themselves?

Page : 1 2 3 4 5