Author Thread: Xenophobia
Admin

Xenophobia
Posted : 17 Jan, 2011 05:45 AM

:stop:Xenophobia is defined as the "hatred or fear of foreigners or strangers or of their politics or culture".[1] It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "stranger," "foreigner" and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear."

:stop:Xenophobia can manifest itself in many ways involving the relations and perceptions of an ingroup towards an outgroup, including a fear of losing identity, suspicion of its activities, aggression, and desire to eliminate its presence to secure a presumed purity.[3] Xenophobia can also be exhibited in the form of an "uncritical exaltation of another culture" in which a culture is ascribed "an unreal, stereotyped and exotic quality".

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia)

I'm just curious to know how many truly chritians are in this website... you know, I've enjoyed the "living chat" sometimes, and I am suprised to see so many xenophobic people there. Mostly won't talk to someone out of the USA, and when someone from another country try to say a simple "hi" people ignore the person. Why is that? Do people think they will start a relationhip if they say 'hi" back? This is rude, I'm just saying. This is NOT the way a truly Christian should behave.

:stop:�43 You have heard that it was said, you shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.� 44 �But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous‎. 46 �For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 �If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 �Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

(MATTHEW 5:43-48)

:stop:(Leviticus 19:33)"When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong."

:stop:"Foreigners living among you will be like your own people. Love them as you love yourself, because you were foreigners living in Egypt. I am the LORD your God." (Leviticus 19:34)

:stop:"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it" (Hebrews 13:2)

ARE YOU A TRULY CHRISTIAN? SO STOP BEING HYPOCRITICAL AND ACT LIKE ONE.

mark83

View Profile
History
Xenophobia
Posted : 5 Feb, 2011 04:23 AM

Isn't this really simple? Everyone has their own reason why they use a site like this... in my case it's pretty clear from my profile I'm a Brit working in the USA for either 4 weeks, 12 months or maybe even permanently, so have contacted a few people local to where I am travelling to, asking for recommendations of nice areas, good churches and things to do. Now I don't expect anyone has signed up to the site to be a travel guide, so if noone responds then I don't blame them at all.

Now I expect most people will have signed up to the site to find a date or some more friends local to them. Now they may not mind talking to someone form the other side of the world, but at the same time, you can't blame them if they don't want to, as it's simply not why they are here! This is exactly what I say when I'm contacted by Filipino ladies - much as I love Asian people (and have a number of friends in Malaysia I am in contact with almost everyday), I am not on the site to make online friendships with people in that area of the world and it would be unfair of me to continue a conversation with them beyond explaining that.

Page : 1 2 3 4 5