Author Thread
aceets

View Profile
Why Christians Shouldn't belong to Demoninations?
Posted : 25 Oct, 2009 06:15 AM

Tomlane,

So I am a heretic yet again??? hehehe

First of all, my post is full of scriptural allusions, although I do not quote anything in extenso. But surely you have noticed my references to passages like Romans 14, 1Corinthians 12, John 17, Ephesians 4 etc.

Secondly, what do you mean by unity? Sorry, but I think you need to expand on (i.e. interpret :) the scriptures which you quoted. Would we, in your opinion, have to believe exactly the same thing about everything and to do things in the exact same way before we can call one another brothers and sisters? But let me not put words in your mouth.

And concerning interpretation... I believe that we are to love God with all of our renewed minds in Christ and that he has given us his Spirit in order that he may reveal treasures hidden in god's written Word.

And again, I would urge you to think of the body image which Paul uses in 1Corinthians 11-15 and you might realize that I may not be so much astray as you would have me portrayed.

Aceets

aceets

View Profile
Is Sunday School wrong?
Posted : 25 Oct, 2009 05:47 AM

Tomlane,

Thank you for your response. I am sad to realize that you have misread my post. I was not speaking of three ways to study the Bible but of three forms in which the Word of God exists.

When I speak of Jesus Christ as the Word of God I have John 1.1-3 in mind. Jesus is the word of God incarnate. This does not mean that Jesus is the Bible but the one who speaks before there ever was such a thing as a Bible (Heb. 1.1-3). The reason why we have the written Word of God (i.e. the Bible) is because God himself has spoken! What is more, he still speaks through scripture and through the proclamation of scripture, as I will show below.

There are numerous instances in which scripture is spoken of as the word of God (see e.g. Eph. 6.17, 2Tim. 3.16-17).

The third form, and the most relevant one for our discussion, is the Word preached. Jesus did this (e.g. Luke 5.1ff) and it was not done in the manner of just quoting scripture, although it was full of allusions to scripture. The clearest example of the Word proclaimed is probably to be found in Romans 10.14-15, as well as in Col 3.16, which you chose to ignore in your reply. This means that we can preach and teach not because we are smart but because God sent us and because he has chosen to give us his Spirit. This is regardless if the location in which we choose to do that.

Well, I hope that our responses, and especially Catleman's last two, have given you some food for thought.

Therefore, take heed lest in your desire to make Christianity simple you actually make it sinful!

Aceets

aceets

View Profile
Friendship First ???
Posted : 25 Oct, 2009 03:15 AM

Dan,

I did not mean to imply anything regarding self-confidence. Rather, I was only trying to say that you tell some things to aperson in the early stages of friendship and deeper things as friendship progresses. You do not go and tell a friend everything about you at once

aceets

View Profile
Is Sunday School wrong?
Posted : 24 Oct, 2009 12:39 PM

Wow, I did not believe that such a simple topic can cause so much discussion.

As for my position, I agree with Garrett. I would even go so far as to say that we need to think of Sunday school for adults, not just for children. This is because I believe that the word of God exists in three forms.

The first is Jesus Christ, the second is written scripture and the third is the word proclaimed, be that in sermons, in public places or in Sunday schools. All of these three are the Word of God. This, then, would mean that teaching in Sunday schools is as much the Word of God as reading the Bible for one's self.

Tom, I see where you are coming from. I find your position interesting, although I do not agree with you. Please let me know if I am right in assuming that you think that the only thing that a congregation (I know that you do not like the word church :) should do is only to read scripture in its meetings.

Blessings

Aceets

aceets

View Profile
Friendship First ???
Posted : 24 Oct, 2009 12:09 PM

I agree with cattleman and pianogirl on this one.

I would just add that the friendship stage is also meant to establish tust and to create an atmosphere for a more open conversation and sharing on a deeper level without the fear of being mocked or abused.

Aceets

aceets

View Profile
Why Christians Shouldn't belong to Demoninations?
Posted : 24 Oct, 2009 11:06 AM

While your desire for unity is good and right, I believe it is somewhat incomplete. The unity to which Christ calls us is unity in diversity. We are not the same and we will never ever be. If this was ever to happen then the body of Christ and its diversity in the Spirit will not be what it was intended to be.

Therefore, rather then seeking flatness in the church, let us turn to God himself. His willingness to reveal himself in three different yet unified persons is a model that different Christian groups should follow.

So, if you are calling for unity (in diversity) then fine. On the other hand, if you desire uniformity then forget it. It would not happen even when Christ returns. And regardless of how many we are, if God is pleased to call us his body then I am content with that.

aceets

View Profile
Urban Dictionary
Posted : 20 Oct, 2009 11:26 AM

That is a very good post. Thank you for that.

aceets

View Profile
winks
Posted : 20 Oct, 2009 11:20 AM

Fphive

Maybe you are right but I am only doing what I want others to do to me in this case. I always write a simple message if I am interested in someone. I believe that this is more responsible then winking.

My view on this may be a bit tough but I o not expect everybody to agree with me.

aceets

View Profile
Agressive women are winners
Posted : 18 Oct, 2009 12:11 PM

Good post this!

I agree with your point.

You may have gotten it wrong with Leah though. Replace her with Hannah and you have it.

aceets

View Profile
Urban Dictionary
Posted : 18 Oct, 2009 12:06 PM

Very interesting.

These definitions actually reveal a paradox. On the one hand Jesus told people to love each other and on the other hand God is the greatest cause of hate in human history.

It is amazing how much prejudice exists in some popular circles! The sad thing, though, is that those who have them are totally blind to them.

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9