Author Thread
IaoKim

View Profile
WHO IS...
Posted : 18 Apr, 2011 08:51 PM

Since two of the more common women have been listed I would like to point out two of my favorites: Deborah and Jael.

Apart from Deborah, the Judges were hardly role models for the Israelites. Jephthah sacrificed his daughter, Samson murdered his first wife, Gideon promoted the worship of fertility gods, etc. Deborah stands out from them for her wisdom, courage and faith in God. She had authority rather than power, and people respected her for the qualities she had, rather than for her military might or physical strength.

And in some ways Jael is like the female David, both were physically weak and smaller than their opponent, employed unusual weapons, and used their wits rather than orthodox military methods-- David hacking off the head of Goliath and Jael piercing Sisera's skull.

Pretty beastly if you ask me :)

IaoKim

View Profile
Prayer For Healing
Posted : 18 Apr, 2011 08:37 PM

Thank you all for your prayers. God is good. One day down. He is the Great Physician and my Rock!

IaoKim

View Profile
Reconciliation?
Posted : 18 Apr, 2011 08:33 PM

So out of the blue one of my former best friends almost girlfriend messages me "for old times sake" to "see how I've been." It would be a very long story to give all the details here but essentially she broke off all contact with me about a year and a half ago.

Previously we had been very good friends throughout high school and college, eventually we both recognized that we had feelings beyond friendship for each other and committed to a serious relationship with the same basic principles of a courtship. She was what I thought to be a strong Christian woman from all the years I had known her and I was very close to her parents (her father was also a pastor). At the time she was living out of state, we had plans to ask for her parents permission to formally enter a relationship when she came back to town during an extended break.

However, things did not even last that long. A few days later she pulls a 180. I forget exactly why since it was quite a few years ago. I do remember she became very argumentative and she would twist everything I said against me. Needless to say I was taken completely by surprise, this was not the person I had come to know from all those years of friendship! We had both always been very opinionated but always managed to keep that in check in a Christian manner. Things pretty much spiraled down out of control and she cut contact with me.

After giving her space I tried reaching out to her to renew our friendship and finally get some straight answers but none of my attempts were successful. Until the "last straw" and she cut off contact again and I let her go completely.

It has been a year and a half free of that sort of drama and I have made peace with it. It was hard to let her go because I cared about her a lot. Now she messages me out of the blue. What is the deal?

My gut says to delete her message and let the past remain in the past. What I would think is my better nature is calling me to show her the same love Christ showed me and reach out to her again if only to just be friends. I will be praying about this decision but I there are quite a few people here on the forum's whose opinions I respect and whom I can trust to give me biblically centered advice.

(And yes this was the short summary version of the story:rolleyes:)

IaoKim

View Profile
Prayer For Healing
Posted : 15 Apr, 2011 09:06 AM

I would appreciate your prayers for my healing. I had a recent accident, nothing serious but it has caused me an extreme amount of pain that will continue for at least the next several weeks. This is a major problem because I still have two full weeks of class plus another two weeks of finals before my the spring law school term is over.

So any prayers for healing, for pain relief, for strength to see the semester through would be greatly appreciated!

IaoKim

View Profile
Jacksonville FL here
Posted : 12 Apr, 2011 04:35 PM

I am originally from Jacksonville, Florida. Although I have lived in Virginia since college. I haven't decided whether I will be staying in Virginia after law school or whether I will go back to Florida!

IaoKim

View Profile
Education
Posted : 12 Apr, 2011 04:30 PM

I would want to date a girl who is at least as educated as myself or close to it. This does not necessarily mean she would have to have a certain level or type of degree as long as she was intellectually curious, well rounded and simply opted to pursue a career that did not require a formal college level education.

Meaningful conversations on a variety of topics is important to me so it always helps to be with someone who shares that desire.

IaoKim

View Profile
Five Things I Wish Everyone Knew (Variation). . .
Posted : 12 Apr, 2011 04:23 PM

It's ok I can take it as well as dish it out when the situation calls for it :-P

And well I probably have at least a few more erroneous ways I still need to work on . . . haha :rolleyes:

Overall I am well save for the booming speakers coming from the floor below . . . something I will soon rectify with my neighbors!

How art thou? :)

IaoKim

View Profile
Five Things I Wish Everyone Knew (Variation). . .
Posted : 12 Apr, 2011 03:17 PM

I have been guilty of your number 1 MsMarvel. In fact it was the reason I failed my first driving test for my license. In my defense the tester failed everyone who tested with her.

I have since seen the error of my ways :)

IaoKim

View Profile
Would you marry a divorced person? Why or why not?
Posted : 12 Apr, 2011 03:12 PM

The short answer is yes but only if they were the innocent party in a biblical allowance for divorce.

I think it is important to note that the guilty party in a Biblical allowance for divorce/remarriage is not allowed to remarry only the innocent party.

I definitely agree with pcpianogal on this one. The Bible is clear that God hates divorce and that we are all called to forgive as Christ forgave us. People in our modern culture take marriage and divorce far too lightly! How horrible our testimony is to the world when there is virtually no difference between the Christian divorce rate and the secular divorce rate!

The Bible outlines very few allowances for divorce. If someone divorces for reasons outside the Biblical allowances then remarriage is an act of adultery. While we are free in Christ, we are not free to abuse God's grace as a means to sin.

It is tempting to say it is ok for people to remarry because it seems unfair especially for young couples who married young, divorced, and are now fated to be single the rest of their lives because of their mistake. I think this issue with marriage/divorce is a clear instance where we naturally suppress the truth in our unrighteousness.

I have close friends in this very situation who have gone on to be remarried and as difficult as it was-- I told them I could not in good conscience support them in their decision.

In the end we have to decide whether we are going to obey Christ even when it inconvenient to us or go our own way.

IaoKim

View Profile
Why baby/child in picture
Posted : 12 Apr, 2011 02:22 PM

Are tongue pictures an unethical form of persuasion?

I didn't realize that my orange slushy tongue had such an effect on the ladies. Shame on me for thinking in my naivety it was just a goofy picture! lol

Page : 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14