Author Thread
Vivere

View Profile
What are your favorite passages or quotes?
Posted : 9 Nov, 2011 06:16 AM

Awesome Iheart!

Vivere

View Profile
Posted : 8 Nov, 2011 04:23 PM

Oh Cool! I'm so glad. ... Iheart, do you have a favorite quote or a few/many?

Vivere

View Profile
Posted : 7 Nov, 2011 02:29 AM

:applause: "Like."

Vivere

View Profile
Posted : 6 Nov, 2011 10:11 PM

Some that I like are...

At times God comes into the soul without being called; and He instills into her fire, love, and sometimes sweetness; and the soul believes this coming from God, and delights there in. But she does not yet know or see that He dwells in her; she perceives His grace, in which she delights�Beyond this the soul receives the gift of seeing God. God says to her, �Behold Me!� and the soul sees Him dwelling within her. She sees Him more clearly than one man sees another. For the eyes of the soul behold a plenitude of which I cannot speak, a plenitude which is not bodily, but spiritual, of which I can say nothing.�

--Angela of Foligno (1248-1309), Italian mystic, Ibid., p. 282

One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living.

--Dale Carnegie

Never doubt in darkness what God has given us in the light.

--Francine Rivers

Learn to move man, through God, by prayer.

--HudsonTaylor

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

--John Acton

I think God is looking for tree climbers. God is looking for people who are desperate enough to do whatever it takes to get to God.

--Mark Batter

Celebrate the storm that dashed your battered life on the shores of His unyielding love and let Him give you the strength to stand firm.

--Mary Southerland

Today God loves the world so much that he gives you, he gives me, to love the world.

--Mother Teresa

Just as it is impossible to separate one�s image from a mirror and touch it at the same time, it is still more difficult to succeed in committing to writing these heavenly secrets.

--Padre Pio

There is one universal religion, the religion of love. Love your Heavenly Father with your whole heart and soul, love every child of God as much as you ever can, and remember that the possibilities of good are greater than the possibilities of evil; and you have the key to Heaven.

--Phillips Brooks

The safest path is the path of duty.

--Rosalind Goforth

Vivere

View Profile
So we know that people loathe long posts ...
Posted : 6 Nov, 2011 09:24 PM

but I guarantee you, this one will be a long. What are your favorite verses? Like the ones you go ape over? Here are the ones that do it for me.

Old Testament

Genesis

Genesis 1:1In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Genesis 15:1 Fear not, I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

Genesis 28:15 And behold, I am with thee, and will keep you in all places whither you go, and will bring you again into this land; for I will not leave you, until I have done that which I have spoken to you of.

Deuteronomy

Deuteronomy 4:30 When you are in tribulation, and all these things are come upon you, even in the latter days, if you turn to the Lord your God, and will be obedient unto his voice

Deuteronomy 4:31 (For the Lord your God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake you, neither destroy you, nor forget the covenant of your fathers which he sware unto them.

Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, and don't be afraid of them: for the Lord your God, He it is that goes with you; He will not fail you, or forsake you.

Deuteronomy 33:27 The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.

Joshua

Joshua 1:5 As I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

Job

Job 5:17 Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty:

Job 5:18 For He maketh sore, and bindeth up: He woundeth, and His hands make whole.

Job 11:6 You will forget your misery, and remember it as waters that pass away.

Job 23:10 But he knoweth the way that I take�

Job 33:27 He looketh upon men, and if any say, I have sinned, and perverted that which was right, and it profited me not;

Job 33:28 He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light.

Psalms

Psalms 9:9 The Lord will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.

Psalms 9:10 And they that know Your Name will put their trust in You: for You, Lord, have not forsaken them that seek You.

Psalms 18:23 The Lord my God will enlighten my darkness.

Psalms 18: 28 For thou wilt light my candle: the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness.

Psalms 23:1The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

Psalms 23:2He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.

Psalms 23:3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name�s sake.

Psalms 23:4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Psalms 27:10 When my father and mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up.

Psalms 27:13 I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Psalms 27:14 Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!

Psalms 30:5 Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.

Psalms 32:7 Thou art my hiding place.

Psalms 33:6By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth.

Psalms 33:9 For He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast.

Psalm 34:1�I will bless the Lord at all times: His praise shall continually be in my mouth.�

Psalm 34:4 �I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.�

Psalm 34:15�The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry.�

Psalms 34:17� The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles.�

Psalms 34: 18 �The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit.

Psalms 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.�

Psalms 34:22 The Lord redeems the soul of His servants: and none of them that trust in Him will be desolate.

Psalms 37:24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholds him with his hand.

Psalms 46:1God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Psalms 50:15 And call upon Me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify Me.

Psalms 56:3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in You.

Psalms 91:14Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known My name.

Psalms 91: 15He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him.

Psalms 91: 16 With long life I will satisfy him, and show him My salvation.

Psalms 104:14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;

Psalms 104:15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.

Psalms 116:6 The Lord preserves the simple: I was brought low, and He helped me.

Psalms 118:5 I called upon the Lord in distress: the Lord answered me.

Psalms 118:8"It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."

Psalms 118:17 "I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the Lord."

Psalms 119:176 I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek Thy servant; for I do not forget Thy commandments.

Psalms 121:1 I will lift up my eyes unto the hills, from whence comes my help.

Psalms 121:2 My help comes from the Lord, which made Heaven and Earth.

Psalms 138:7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me: and Your right hand will save me.

Psalms 138:8 The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me: Thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of Thine Own hands.

Psalms 139:14I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Psalms 145:14 The Lord upholds all that fall, and raises up all those that be bowed down.

Psalms 145:18 The Lord is nigh to all them that call upon Him, to all that call upon Him in truth.

Psalms 145:19 He will fulfill the desires of them that fear Him: He also will hear their cry, and will save them.

Psalms 147:3 He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.

Proverbs

Proverbs 1:23 Surely I will pour out My Spirit on you; I will make My words known to you.

Proverbs 3:5Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.

Proverbs 3:6In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

Proverbs 3:11 Despise not the chastening of the Lord; neither be weary of His correction: For whom the Lord loveth He correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil:

Proverbs 19:17He who has pity on the poor lends to the Lord, and He will pay back what he has given.

Proverbs 29:25 The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe.

Isaiah

Isaiah 40:29�He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength.�

Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with you: be not dismayed; for I am your God: I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will uphold you with the right hand of My righteousness.

Isaiah 41:18b I will make the wilderness a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water.

Isaiah 42:6 I the Lord have called you in righteousness, and will hold your hand, and will keep you.

Isaiah 42:16 And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.

Isaiah 43:1 Fear not: for I have redeemed you, I have called you by your name; you are Mine.

Isaiah 43:2 When thou passest through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you: when you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; neither will the flame kindle upon you.

Isaiah 43:19b I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.

Isaiah 49:15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yes, they may forget, yet will I not forget you.

Isaiah 49:16 Behold, I have graven you upon the palms of My hands.

Isaiah 53:5But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.

Isaiah 54:8 In a little wrath I hid my face from you for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on you, saith the Lord thy Redeemer.

Isaiah 54:10 For the mountains will depart, and the hills be removed; but My kindness will not depart from you, neither will the covenant of My peace be removed, saith the Lord that has mercy on you.

Isaiah 54:11 O you afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay your stones with fair colors, and lay your foundations with sapphires.

Isaiah 59:19bWhen the Enemy comes in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him.

Isaiah 63:9 In all their affliction He was afflicted, and the angel of His presense saved them: in His love and in His pity He redeemed them; and He bare them, and carried them all the days of old.

Jeremiah

Jeremiah 1:8 Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with you to deliver you, saith the Lord.

Jeremiah 24:7 And I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am the Lord: and they shall be My people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto Me with their whole heart.

Jeremiah 32:17Ah Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You.

Jeremiah 33:3Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.

Jeremiah 39:17 I will deliver you in that day, saith the Lord: and you will not be given into the hand of the men of whom you are afraid.

Lamentations

Lamentations 3:22"It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.

Lamentations 3:23They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness."

Lamentations 3:31 For the Lord will not cast off for ever:

Lamentations 3:32 But though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies.

Hosea

Hosea 14:4b I will love them freely: for Mine anger is turned away from him.

Amos

Amos 3:7 Surely the Lord God does nothing, unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets.

Zechariah

Zechariah 4:6b Not by might, not by power, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord.

New Testament

Matthew

Matthew 8:26But He said to them, �Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?� Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.

Matthew 11:28 Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Matthew 11:29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Matthew 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of Heaven.

Matthew 18:5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in My name receiveth Me.

Matthew 19:14Let the little children come to me�

Mark

Mark 5:36bBe not afraid, only believe.

Mark 9:23If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.

Mark 9:37 Whosoever shall receive one of such children in My Name, receiveth Me: and whosoever shall receive Me, receiveth not Me, but Him that sent Me.

Luke

Luke 4:18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised."

Luke 13:11"And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself.

Luke 13:12 And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity."

Luke 13:13 And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.

Luke 15:32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

Luke 21:15For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries will not be able to gainsay or resist.

John

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 8:32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you: not as the world gives, give I to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

John 15:3 Now ye are clean through the Word which I have spoken unto you.

John 15:13 Greater love has no man than this, than to lay down one�s life for his friends.

John 15:17 "These things I command you, that you love one another."

Acts

Acts 1:11 Who also said, �Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.�

Acts 2:18And on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days; and they shall prophesy.

Acts 2:46So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart.

Romans

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.

Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Romans 8:38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come,

Romans 8:39 Nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

1 Corinthians

1 Corinthians 15:21For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead.

1 Corinthians 15:22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.

1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 16:14 Let all that you do be done with love.

2 Corinthians

2 Corinthians 1:4 Who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

2 Corinthians 5:7 We walk by faith, not by sight.

2Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.

Ephesians

Ephesians 2:8For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,

Ephesians 2:9Not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:19Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,

Philippians

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.

Philippians 2:10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus

1 Thessalonians

1 Thessalonians 5:34 Faithful is He that calls you, Who also will do it.

2 Timothy

2 Timothy 1:12b I know Whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day.

Titus

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us.

Hebrews

Hebrews 2:18"Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted."

Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

Hebrews 10:35Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward.

Hebrews 11:1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Hebrews 11:3By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith�

Hebrews 13:6So we can confidently say, �The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?

Hebrews 13:8 The Word is the same yesterday, today and forevermore.

James

James 3:17But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.

1 Peter

1 Peter 2:24Who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness��by whose stripes you were healed.

1 Peter 2:25For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

1 Peter 4:8Above all things have fervent love for one another, for love will cover a multitude of sins.

1 Peter 5:7Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.

1 John

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another.

1 John 1:19 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 2:15Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

1 John 3:8 For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the Devil.

1 John4:4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world.

1 John 4:19We love Him because He first loved us.

1 John 5:4 This is the victory that has overcome the world�our faith.

1 John 5:7For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.

Revelation

Revelation 4:11You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and by Your will they exist and were created.

Vivere

View Profile
Poetry
Posted : 6 Nov, 2011 06:13 AM

These are some of my favorite bits of poems... I think that emotional healing comes in holistic ways. So its good to explore the good and the bad, the beautiful and the painful. Poetry can sometimes help me identify with feelings I was not even aware of, the hidden and subconscious and preconscious coming into the conscious. and its a wonderful feeling. For this reason, I think poetry is therapeutic. What say you?

Here are some of the pieces of poetry I love and that have spoken to me. If you have any favorite lines do share them as well.

To Althea from Prison

Stone walls do not a prison make,

Nor iron bars a cage;

Minds innocent and quiet take

That for an hermitage;

If I have freedom in my love

And in my soul am free,

Angels alone, that soar above,

Enjoy such liberty.

--Richard Lovelace

Who Is Silvia?

From Two Gentlemen of Verona

Who is Silvia? What is she,

That all our swains commend her?

Holy, fair, and wise is she;

The heavens such grace did lend her,

That she might admired be.

Is she kind as she is fair?

For beauty lives with kindness.

Love doth to her eyes repair,

To help him of his blindness;

And, being helped, inhabits there.

--William Shakespeare

The Living Juliet

From Romeo and Juliet

Two of the fairest stars in all the heaven,

Having some business, do intreat her eyes

To twinkle in their spheres till they return.

What if her eyes were there, they in her head?

The brightness of her cheek would shame those stars,

As daylight doth a lamp; her eyes in heaven

Would through the airy region stream so bright

That birds would sing and think it were not night.

--William Shakespeare

From an Essay on Man

Behold the child, by nature�s kindly law,

Pleased with a rattle, tickled with a straw:

Some livelier playthings gives his youth delight,

A little louder, but as empty quite:

Scarfs, garters, gold, amuse his riper stage,

And beads and prayer-books are the toys of age:

Pleased with this bauble still, as that before;

Till tired he sleeps, and life�s poor play is o�er.

--Alexander Pope

From an Essay on Criticism

A little learning is a dangerous thing;

Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring;

So pleased at first the towering Alps we try,

Mount o�er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,

The eternal snows appear already past,

And the first clouds and mountains seem the last;

But, those attained, we tremble to survey

The growing labors of the lengthened way,

The increasing prospects tire our wandering eyes,

Hills peep o�er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!

--Alexander Pope

Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard

Full many a gem of purest ray serene

The dark unfathomed caves of ocean bear:

Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,

And waste its sweetness on the desert air.

Large was his bounty, and his soul sincere;

Heaven did a recompense as largely send:

He gave to misery all he had, a tear;

He gained from heaven (�twas all he wished) a friend.

--Thomas Gray

Song

From Pippa Passes

The year�s a t the spring

And the day�s at the morn;

Morning�s at seven;

The hill-side�s dew-pearled;

The lark�s on the wing;

The snail�s on the thorn:

God�s in his heaven�

All�s right with the world!

--Robert Browning

The Daffodils

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils.

--William Wordsworth

Character of the Happy Warrior

Who, doomed to go in company with pain,

And fear, and bloodshed, miserable train!

Turns his necessity to glorious gain;

More skilful in self-knowledge, even more pure,

As tempted more; more able to endure,

As more exposed to suffering and distress;

Thence, also, more alive to tenderness.

And, through the heat of conflict, keeps the law

In calmness made, and sees what he foresaw;

--William Wordsworth

She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways

A violet by a mossy stone

Half hidden from the eye.

�Fair as a star, when only one

Is shining in the sky.

--William Wordsworth

She Walks in Beauty

The smiles that win, the tints that glow

But tell of days in goodness spent,

A mind at peace with all below,

A heart whose love is innocent.

--George Gordon, Lord Byron

We�ll Go No More A-Roving

So, we�ll go no more a-roving

So late into the night,

Though the heart be still as loving,

And the moon be still as bright.

--George Gordon, Lord Byron

Ode to a Nightingale

I cannot see what flowers are at my feet,

Nor what soft incense hangs upon the boughs.

But, in embalmed darkness, guess each sweet

Wherewith the seasonable month endows

--John Keats

Ode on a Grecian Urn

Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard

Are sweeter; therefore, ye soft pipes, play on;

And, happy melodist, unwearied,

For ever piping songs for ever new;

--John Keats

�I Remember, I Remember�

I remember, I remember

The house where I was born,