Author Thread: Is it normal to doubt?
Admin

Is it normal to doubt?
Posted : 9 Jun, 2017 01:35 PM

Sometimes I have doubts about my faith. Like I'll be sitting in a service and think to myself "I'm not sure about that". Or I'll see something on TV and think "well I don't think that's right" or "that's not how I see it." Not sure if I'm making any sense here

Is it bad to doubt? I feel like I shouldn't even be having these thoughts, I shouldn't even wonder about some of the things I question in my mind. Does this make me a bad person? Or that my faith is weak?

Any advice would be appreciated. Have a blessed day!

R123

View Profile
History
Is it normal to doubt?
Posted : 10 Jun, 2017 11:12 AM

Yes, it is normal to doubt. It is a good and healthy thing and stops charlatans getting away with anything they like.

We are supposed to have minds that are alert (1 Peter 1:13) and there is no shame in questioning things. The Bereans checked what they were told, to verify it - Acts 17:11

Even John the baptist, who testified who Jesus was, began to doubt and sent messengers to ask Jesus if he'd got it wrong! (Luke 7:19) That didn't stop Jesus then declaring John to be 'more than a prophet'.

View Profile
History
Is it normal to doubt?
Posted : 11 Jun, 2017 03:38 AM

The only way to dispel doubt is to either ignore it and trust other people as your teachers or investigate it yourself depending on which personality type you have. If you are the first type be careful to not just trust someone because of how his preaching makes you feel, emotion easily lies to you in ways you want it to and people get swept up very easily in the drama of a service that "moves them" and end up acting in cult-like ways. Even a preacher with proper authority can be wrong or allow himself to be carried away by his own emotion while mistaking it for the Holy Ghost doing the talking.

If you are the second type you simply have to test everything otherwise some part of you will always doubt it, fortunately the truth fears no lie so as long as your questions are honest and respectful God will always lead you where you need to be. It's not God but other people that react with kneejerk "HERESY" accusations to some questions.... and sometimes you NEED to ask a probably heretical question because that's the only way to properly test it.... just don't believe anything unorthodox too quickly because we tend to confuse facts with conclusions and constants with variables and so on all the time.

1jon310

View Profile
History
Is it normal to doubt?
Posted : 11 Jun, 2017 02:13 PM

Sister: Jesus did not rebuke Thomas for his doubt. We, the people of the church are much harder on Thomas than Jesus was. Doubt can be the enemy of God and our souls whispering into our minds and hearts. Doubt can be a curse that tears us away from a vibrant relationship with the Lover of our souls. OR Doubt can be a blessing that springboards us into a deeper relationship with Jesus. The choice is ours as to whether we choose doubt to be a blessing or a curse. Truth is never afraid of doubt. Truth, The Truth, He will enter into your doubt if you ask Him to. He will bring Light that chases away the emptiness and lies. Doubt is overcome by faith and when enough facts are assembled together, faith becomes a belief that cannot be shaken. May God, Your Creator meet You in Your place of doubt and grant you a fuller picture of His Kingdom and the fullness of the mind of Christ Jesus..... r

View Profile
History
Is it normal to doubt?
Posted : 12 Jun, 2017 01:37 PM

No it's not a bad thing to doubt. Otherwise people would accept blasphemy.

For example someone once preached that the Israelites were a 'beta test' by God, a test run, a type of mistake. I walked out of the service shortly after.

Just because a so-called Christian says something, doesn't mean it's a fact.

However, God's word is true. If you need to verify something or hear something new, you can just search for it and cross-reference it. Fortunately there have been many Christians and works published.

Also you can ask God to help you.

Mark 9:23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

James 1:5

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

View Profile
History
Is it normal to doubt?
Posted : 30 Jun, 2017 10:35 AM

We are christians, but we are also human. Remember that Adam and Eve, the enemy put doubts in their mind concerning the tree that was forbidden to them. But the bible also says that we have to test the spirits, that is his job. to help see what is the thruth and what is a lie. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Blessings!

View Profile
History
Is it normal to doubt?
Posted : 29 Jul, 2017 06:19 PM

It is normal to doubt my friend. We are but humans who are fickle creatures. But we have to stick to the fundamentals of cosmology and theology. Which are simply this: Nothing produces nothing, so from a cosmological point of view you need something in order to produce something. So if you believe in the "Big Bang" like most cosmologist do, then the very thing in which created the "Big Bang" would have to be eternal (timeless), it could not be comprised of matter (a physical being) and it would have to not be restricted by the constructs of space. It would also need to have an incredible will and be on an intellectual wave length that is vastly superior to human conception. There is only one candidate for that friend and that is God. If you need to confirm that the God of the bible is that God, then check out archaeological documents that correspond with biblical text. If you doubt the Biblical accounts of Yeshua (Jesus) then read the writings of Josephus, Tacitus, Eusebius, even read the Quran and the Babylonian Talmud. This man named Yeshua existed and according to these historical text he did perform many miracles and healings. Just do your homework friend and find out for yourself.

ADAM7777

View Profile
History
Is it normal to doubt?
Posted : 2 Aug, 2017 01:26 AM

Hello, I read your profile words about Christian domestic discipline, and If you don't mind I could give another perspective. You believe the man is the head of the woman, and yes that is how God made things, and makes Christ the head of the man. Looking at Christ we know He is worthy, sacrificing Himself, and in Revelation we gain perspective, how no man on earth or anyone in Heaven was worthy, only the lamb was found worthy..Revelation 5:3 And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.4 And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. The first way Christ shows and is worthy is His love for the church and the man He becomes head of..Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. A man of God is only worthy of Christs love when he also loves another by giving his life for them.For all for their edification, for therm to be Holy and without blemish, loving as he loves his own body, always cherishing it..Ephesians 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: The lord does not compare us to a snail, but to sheep who hear His voice, who He created to not hear the voice of strangers, and a wife will hear her husbands voice if his voice comes from the one who loves us all. We already do not carry all on our back as the lord carries all our cares for us all..1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. An echo does not speak, it only repeats, but the Lord's way is liberty..2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. A clock cant always keep time, time cant be kept, the Lord brought time backwards and declares there will be time no longer.. Isaiah 38:8 Behold, I will bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the sun dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down. Revelation 10:6 And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer: She cant keep time regularly, the Lord guides our footsteps not ourselves if He chooses. Jeremiah 10:23 O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. Also against the town clock advice, the sound of the Lord did go into all the earth, but they still did not hear.Romans 10:18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. Romans 11:8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.