Author Thread: Cultural differences
lienda

View Profile
History
Cultural differences
Posted : 13 Apr, 2019 06:25 AM

What do you think about falling in love with someone who have different culture and race background with you ?

View Profile
History
Cultural differences
Posted : 14 Apr, 2019 06:02 PM

I think it can work. Be sure to respect the other persons culture and ask lots of questions. Try to learn as much as you can while dating. That's more important then what type movies you like (LOL) NEVER bring cultural difference up , if you are having an argument .

HelloJesusLovesYou

View Profile
History
Cultural differences
Posted : 11 May, 2019 07:41 PM

Beautiful, especially when that man and woman are equally yoked in their Biblical beliefs

JamesEG

View Profile
History
Cultural differences
Posted : 14 May, 2019 10:29 AM

Personally, I'm confident persons of different cultures and races can match up well, lienda.

However, I think it is generally important that they share several other things in common, such as common goals, interests, and morals.

Often persons of different backgrounds grow up eating different foods, listening to different types of music, and having different attitudes and beliefs. If that is the case, such persons need to find an effective way of accepting or dealing with such things.

Learning from those of different backgrounds can be beneficial. But, I think it's important to learn as much as is reasonably possible before getting into a serious romantic relationship.

saltyreader

View Profile
History
Cultural differences
Posted : 17 May, 2019 02:35 AM

As somebody else has already stated, the Lord, His Word and a Christian lifestyle might make it possible. I was reading a dissertation in regards of marriage and it stated that it should be honoring the Lord what should be the first and ultimate goal of marriage. If likes would make a clear distinction of how well received that article was, I would need to say it only got 2 votes. Yeah, it is not what anybody would have expected ever! But you know what, that might be the actual reason it was right, because it was addressing God's concerns and not ours, God's Will and not just our will. Why?

Romans 1 (KJV)

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

If we do want to have a happy marriage, the Lord should be its center! For He is "the Way, the Truth and the Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me"

Galatians 4 (KJV)

1 Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;

2 But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father.

And yeah, the man should be mature enough as to be called a man and not a child anymore.

Concerning cultural differences we cannot really find any specific references telling us not to accept that a German guy marry a Brazilian woman, etc. The only cultural references included in the Bible are those concerning worship, His Worship. If we are believers and we truly want to honor our Lord, the best thing we can do is to marry another believer. Normally we think that our culture has something to do with marriage, and I will not tell you that stuff seems to get easier than ever if you a guy marries a woman that shares the same culture. Even so who said modern cultures are OK? Actually they are full of ungodly stuff nowadays so we do need to discard many cultural stuff for being pagan, We should take in consideration what 1st Kings 19:26 has to tell us:

"Therefore their inhabitants were of small power, they were dismayed and confounded; they were as the grass of the field, and as the green herb, as the grass on the housetops, and as corn blasted before it be grown up."

Since culture is temporal, we cannot stare at it as if it really matter. Of course, it might be beautiful to share customs, but is it not interesting and intriguing to learn your partner's culture as well? (Excluding those elements that are pagan in nature, obviously!)

HonestyAlways89

View Profile
History
Cultural differences
Posted : 18 Sep, 2019 01:40 AM

It depends on the individuals involved. Both need to have a genuine interest in the others culture. I have seen it fail, but I have also seen it succeed. I'm not sure where my personal experience falls, as my soon to be ex-wife is Chinese. We had a very deep and profound love for one another and for the most part a good marriage. I would have been thrilled to stay married to her for another 20+ years. However, the fact that she never experienced independence and went from her fathers home straight into marriage with me left a void i think in who she is. She now desires to be independent and travel the world...alone. While our youngest is only 11. The fact that we have different 'spiritual' beliefs has proven to be a much bigger obstacle than cultural differences. She believe in God, but unsure about Jesus and doubts the Bible's legitimacy. I now KNOW Jesus, and although I too use to doubt the Bible's legitimacy, the research I have done makes me feel very confident in the Bible's teachings. So I guess what I'm saying is don't let cultural differences stop you. There are many things that can cause 'issues' in a relationship. So best to take any new relationship slow and really get to know each other, and make sure that you are on the same page for the most part with life goals and 'expectations'. It also helps when one or both partners are flexible and accommodating.