"Corporal punishment is the commonest form of violence which children suffer, in all regions. And there are many perspectives from which to condemn it. The imperative for prohibiting and eliminating it is children’s equal human right to full respect for their dignity and physical integrity and to equal protection under the law.
Sometimes it seems that dwelling on other perspectives, other arguments, can actually undermine acceptance of the immediate human rights imperative for action. We don’t look for proof that domestic violence against women damages their physical or mental health in order to justify prohibiting it and ending impunity. It would be insulting to women to do so, and it is equally insulting to children to suggest we have to prove harm in order to justify extending to them the legal protection that we as adults take for granted from being deliberately assaulted."
- Peter Newell
Ending all forms of hitting children is important... Don't give allowance to physical abuse based on age. Advocate and inform of children’s equal human right to full respect for their dignity and physical integrity and to equal protection under the law. Spanking is a euphemism for hitting, it inevitably condones sexual harassment and disrespectfulness (Excerpt from P.Newell).
Recognize the risks:
• Emotional risks: depression, low self esteem, anger, lack of resilience, little self control.
• Learning risks: lower IQ, stress, anger, resentment, or fear of authority. • Physical risks: injuries, broken bones, even brain damage.
• Societal risks: poorly educated, angry, pent up young people causing harm to themselves, other children, adults, their relatives, or at schools.
To end child abuse, we need to stop 'spanking' (physically abusing) children! Rather than being based on brain research or child development studies, hitting/paddling/spanking is based on "cultural holdovers";
• Adults may have the misconception: “I was spanked. I’m OK.” Fundamental religious belief: “It’s God’s loving discipline.” * Spanking and paddling send harmful and costly messages.
•Normal childhood behavior issues are often judged as rebellious, shameful and bad.
• Our States are being robbed of needed money by paying for the high cost of child abuse in all its ramifications.
• States spent $20 billion on child Welfare Services in 2000. Less violence against children will reduce this figure enormously according to the Urban Institute.
• The US spent $2 trillion in 2011 on all health care costs...$1 trillion for violence-related healthcare costs.
• Lawsuits from parents trying to protect their children take valuable money and energy from education.
• No evidence exists that paddling improves student behavior. The opposite is true. We all want to end child abuse.New ways of raising responsible, strong, loving children are replacing hitting
• The most heinous things done to children are now illegal, but 85% of these abuses began with spanking and progressed from there.
• In the US, 33 states have abolished paddling in schools, and in the other 19 states, many individual districts have stopped it.
• Today many tested alternatives exist that teach self-responsibility and skills at making better choices. Therefore to end child abuse, we must stop all hitting of children.
For research and links to studies and for resources on modern parenting: US Alliance to End the Hitting of Children: www.endhittingusa.org Report Abuse: www.hennepin.us/residents/human-services/child-protection-services 612-348-3552 www.co.wright.mn.us/383/Child-Protection 763-682-7400 www.anokacounty.us/632/Child-Protection-Child-Abuse 763-422-7125 If the child is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1 or your local police department.
I know many feel this topic is unrelated to being pro life and Christian, but corporal punishment against children inevitably causes people to associate pain with punishment. Some struggles however bring us benefit and are certainly worth all of our effort. That being said individuals brought up with being hit even in the so called form of "spanking." are repeatedly given experiences that trigger an unhealthy emotional response to pain, especially since the people we are supposed to rely on were basically betraying our trust. I'm wondering how many people agree with these associations especially when we consider the pain in giving birth. How many more people may have been Pro Life if only they had been given a childhood free from intentional harm against their bodily autonomy? I actually spoke with an abortion supporter who was opposed to adoption simply because the child could end up in a household that would betray them with corporal punishment, that conversation inspired the continuation of this petition. I assured the woman that currently at least adopted children are mostly protected against corporal punishment. I just want america to wake up and give children as much bodily autonomy as an adult like in Israel. I understand there are times we may need to intervene, but a gentle block or a hold should be sufficient instead of the traditional excessive force. Pro Life should also be about giving quality of life anywhere possible. When someone strikes at us we are to turn the other cheek, we are not advised under the new covenant to be the one to inflict any sort of hitting or violence.
There are already laws in place to protect children from abuse,
no one is advocating for the abuse of children, but we can't have it both ways, we can't complain about children being lawless, when we've gone out of our way to create laws that prevent their parents from disciplining them.
there are so many alternative disciplines. Do you really think your child won't copy "spanking" on another child if that is what is happening to him or her? Children need to know that their rear end is their private area. I have never spanked my son and he already knows not to go into the street. He already knows the stove is hot, without getting a burn. He has known these things since he was about 18 months old.
If all parents were respectful to their children in an ideal world such decisions could be left to them. I was not so blessed in this regard, to have parents gifted in self control. One of the main focuses is when parents are targeting the child's private area including the rear end. I grew up with excessively forceful hits to my rear end that left marks, I was too ashamed to report to CPS and show what had happened to me because of the location. If this is done to an adult it is considered sexual harassment; this is too much contradiction. I often had hand prints and lasting redness and pain. I also had a lashing that resulted in a welt that was as wide as my body raised 1/4 of an inch and 1/4 thick. I ran away temporarily after that which put me at high risk for being kidnapped. I tried to relate about how we are treated as children shape our decision making abilities. People with mental health issues often have long lasting or permanent judgement impairment. I can remember feeling as though I was living in a cloud of confusion and fear for most of my childhood. The cloud didn't start to lift until I underwent counseling. I continue to suffer lower back problems from the repeated trauma to the tail bone area. I can't help but feel "set up" for physically abusive relationships. Many women who abort are involved in abusive relationships. There are so many alternatives to corporal punishment, I have children now and I will not put them through what I have been through. Pro Life should also be about giving quality of life anywhere possible.
Have you ever worked with sheep? The rod of correction will block the entrance when needed, Striking even one sheep scatters the whole flock. Just having The Voice of The Good Shepard is sufficient by reading Scriptures. If you even show one sheep the food in the bucket the rest fall in line in obedience: They are close knit woolies! Just let children know what laws they are breaking. We do mostly time outs or no dessert or losing toys.