Author Thread: Friendship First or Friendship Only
JamesEG

View Profile
History
Friendship First or Friendship Only
Posted : 3 Sep, 2019 11:37 AM

Why are so many females interested in rushing into marriage or a romantic relationship?

What about beginning a relationship with a casual friendship gradually getting to know one another better?

Persons may even choose to remain single and celibate.

In the New Testament Jesus (see Matthew 19:8-12) and the Apostle Paul (see I Corinthians 7) both stated that it's better to remain single.

Even today it is possible to enjoy platonic male and female friendships without the romance. People can enjoy doing things together and help one another without romance.

What do you think?

JamesEG

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Sep, 2019 09:48 AM

9fruitsofthespirit, you make an excellent point about many men.

However, I think what you refer to as men focusing on "love" could be more accurately called men focusing on "sexual lust."

I do not think that is a Christian approach, and it is sad that so many so-called Christian men put sex ahead of friendship.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Sep, 2019 11:22 AM

I'm all for friendship first as you have to take time to know someone. friendship only wouldn't be for me as I would like to be married someday.

JamesEG

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Sep, 2019 12:15 PM

Jayzeee, I think you are taking things in the right order.

Even if/when you find that one particular person to enter into a romantic relationship and marriage with, you may be blessed with numerous friendships that you can retain.

I think it is possible to have many friendships while preserving monogamy in marriage.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Sep, 2019 08:53 PM

Becoming friends first is very important.

Friendship is one of the characteristics of a happy and lasting marriage, as well as the foundation of a healthy marriage.

In fact, the emotional connection that married couples share is said to be five times more important than their physical intimacy.

JamesEG

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Sep, 2019 03:38 PM

Well stated, brevelatte.

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Sep, 2019 06:04 PM

I have no problem being just friends first to see how we really enjoy each other as a person.

As soon as the man mentions sex he better be ready to make a marriage proposal.

It's hard for most men to be just friends with a woman he's attracted too.

Friendship should definitely be first and Christians should be open to that.

JamesEG

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Sep, 2019 03:46 PM

I strongly agree with you, cupcakeme, that friendship needs to come before romance in a relationship. It's a tragedy how many couples rush into romance with one another without knowing much about each other's goals, interests, morals, etc.

And, although I think both men and women find it difficult to maintain a friendship when one of the two experiences unrequited romantic attraction toward the other, if it can be done, it is a wonderful thing.

HonestyAlways89

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Sep, 2019 01:16 AM

lol, Chioniso you are a breath of fresh air. I enjoy reading your posts. And of course agree with you.

Page : 1 2