Author Thread: THE BIBLE WARNS AGAINST “SCIENCE” SO-CALLED
LittleDavid

View Profile
History
THE BIBLE WARNS AGAINST “SCIENCE” SO-CALLED
Posted : 16 Jan, 2020 05:42 PM

1 Timothy 6:19-21

20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of **science falsely so called**:

21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jan, 2020 09:53 PM

@Toth,

You are correct, but miss the point. Ask yourself AFTER reading 1 Timothy, 'What kind of knowledge was Paul writing about?

David takes his own private interpretation of "knowledge/science" irrespective of the 6 chapters previous contextually referring to Church and Christian behavior. NOT what someone believes about Creation.

David is free to believe as he wants, but I refuse to be judged by his flawed private exegesis.

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jan, 2020 10:34 PM

@Toth,

Words mean things - often many things. It is context that specifically defines words.

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jan, 2020 01:31 AM

I remember back in the day when they were using this verses to attack the Nag Hammadi writings,dead sea scrolls and what not?

how times change?

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jan, 2020 05:45 AM

Littlest David quote which is a Satanic lie and he knows it is a Satanic **LIE**:

"Some clever evolutionists have tricked prophetic 7744, the Pinocchio prophetic into believing some of the doctrines of evolution. For example, Pinocchio, the false prophetic 7744 times over, thinks the world is thousands upon thousands if not millions of years old according to the doctrines of evolution."

Jewish Bible Chronology shows that the 6-day creation was about 5,779 years ago and the Christian Bible Chronology in the Bible shows that the 6-day creation was about 5,879 years ago.

Genesis 1:1-2 tells us what the present earth was like right before God's 6-day Creation:

Genesis 1:1-2: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the face of the deep and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters!!

Littlest David has stated that he believes Carbon dating is accurate for up to 10 years!! And Carbon dating shows that the last dinosaur died about 10,000 years ago and the last Neanderthal creature; who was not very smart and lived in caves; died about 20,000 years ago.

And so over 70 percent of the scientists from Evangelical churches believe that the earth is over 20.000 years old and the Grand Canyon's multiple amazing strata also shows the earth is over 20,000 years old; and that there was **NO EVOLUTION**.

And so littlest David's view is in the **MINORITY**; among Evangelicals; who believes the earth is less than 6,000 years old which is confusing since Littlest David also believes that Carbon 14 Dating is accurate for up to 10,000 years and Carbon 14 Dating shows that the last dinosaur died about 10,000 years ago!!

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jan, 2020 06:27 AM

Richard starts his comment by accusing David of Satanic Lies.Then ends by saying David's position is within 30% of Evangelicals? ❓

Good grief,

Who would ever become a Christian if this an example of a Christian?

This is anti-missionary behavior making Christians look like back stabbing idiots.

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jan, 2020 06:38 AM

Byys,

They are still attacking the Nag Hammadi Text. Very very very few accept it largely because they have a twisted hyper conservative view of Scripture bordering on cultic. And the DSS? It took close to 40

- 70 years to release them to the public and I'm not convinced they released everything, because much of it was realized by accident when Israel copied and sent them to a University in California during the six day war, for fear they might be destroyed.

T0TH3M4X

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jan, 2020 07:13 AM

Chuck,

It's best to do a word study if there is uncertainty. As I'm sure you know, the Bible wasn't originally written in English, but primarily Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic. There's a reason we translate into root words like "science", even though they may be applied to a different context in the English language. However, as a root, "knowledge" is exactly what "science" means. Let me give you another example. If we talk about "omniscience" or say that God is "Omniscient", then we saying that He has "all knowledge" or is "all-knowing" This wasn't mentioned to start a debate on what God knows, but rather to discuss terminology.

T0TH3M4X

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jan, 2020 07:13 AM

Chuck,

It's best to do a word study if there is uncertainty. As I'm sure you know, the Bible wasn't originally written in English, but primarily Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic. There's a reason we translate into root words like "science", even though they may be applied to a different context in the English language. However, as a root, "knowledge" is exactly what "science" means. Let me give you another example. If we talk about "omniscience" or say that God is "Omniscient", then we saying that He has "all knowledge" or is "all-knowing" This wasn't mentioned to start a debate on what God knows, but rather to discuss terminology.

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jan, 2020 08:19 AM

@Toth,

I agree "word studies" should be exercised by anyone diligently studying Scripture. However it is not the end all as you seem to be suggesting. Historical and Cultural Context are even more important as is the immediate context of the Text, which is being ignored in the OP.

For example:

'Israel's armies had a great victory and all the men were gay'

Ignore the historical, cultural and immediate contexts, instead use only a "word study" and we can write a homiletic that all the men were homosexuals

😳

T0TH3M4X

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jan, 2020 08:27 AM

Chuck,

You're basing an argument on English interpretation. As I said, do word studies. Dig deep. I know you can do it.

Page : 1 2 3 4 5