Author Thread: How about a section where people can learn how to read, study and translate the Scripture.
Quiznos

View Profile
History
How about a section where people can learn how to read, study and translate the Scripture.
Posted : 8 Mar, 2020 08:15 PM

Matthew 28 verses 18 - 20

18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Too many people when they meet together are being entertained by a so called worship band, with a self proclaimed person called pastor telling jokes and giving history lessons.

Messiah says to make LEARNERS (disciples ) of me.

Baptizing( immersing -verb, present tense ) INTO the name of the Father, and the SON and the Holy Spirit.

Had the christians been taught just the basics for understanding the Word,maybe they would not be taken advantage of and abused by the self proclaimed pastors.

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
History
How about a section where people can learn how to read, study and translate the Scripture.
Posted : 11 Apr, 2020 06:55 AM

I don't take orders from you either, Quiznos. You hold no authority over me. I don't know you or your intentions. Maybe you came here to provide benevolent guidance, but this is not a classroom. It is not a Bible study, and it is not a repository of knowledge. It's a discussion forum that lets anyone using the site to weigh in with their opinions, and you won't score points by passing judgment on people you know nothing about or insulting them.

Foolishness, malicious intent, evil, deceit, bullying... None of these things have an age limit and they can be found anywhere, even and perhaps most especially on a freely accessible Christian forum. (Hence, my opinion that such teaching forums would be unwise on here.) I don't say these things to be mean. They are simply the realities of what it means to be on a free dating site forum.

Quiznos

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Apr, 2020 05:20 AM

Millenial,

I know you do not want to learn anything other then what the self proclaimed pastors speak,BUT can you tell me why Messiah ssys to Peter;

You of little faith, why did you doubt; what Peter was doubting in this section of Scripture.

MATTHEW 14 verses 25 - 31

25 During the fourth watch of the night,b Jesus went out to them, walking on the sea.

26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost!” they said, and cried out in fear.

27 But Jesus spoke up at once: “Take courage! It is I. Do not be afraid.”

28 “Lord, if it is You,” Peter replied, “command me to come to You on the water.”

29 “Come,” said Jesus.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water, and came toward Jesus.

30 But when he saw the strength of the wind,c he was afraid, and beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

31 Immediately Jesus reached out His hand and took hold of Peter. “You of little faith,” He said, “why did you doubt?”

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Apr, 2020 11:08 AM

How delightful, a pop quiz…………………..Wait……………………………so, I’m not supposed to trust my pastors and teachers, who I have gotten to know and trust their motives and the testing by life and instructors they’ve received over many years, and I’m supposed to run from the churches. but I’m supposed to take your little quiz and trust……………………………………………YOU INSTEAD?

What a lovely oxymoron!

The important thing about when we would take quizzes and tests in school is that we had to be able and willing to TRUST that the teacher knew the right answers to be able to give us accurate and appropriate feedback. This may be tough for you to understand, Quiznos, but you haven’t earned that trust.

I’ve tried to be respectful and courteous and patient with you while expressing my views. I have even tried to extend to you an olive branch: I agreed with you that “self-proclaimed” pastors should not be trusted. I agree that many churches across the nation care more about getting butts to warm their pews and money in their offering plates than they do about ensuring the integrity of their teachings.

But now you’ve proclaimed yourself to be worthy of teaching by trying to give me your little test, so now YOU’RE the self-proclaimed pastor/teacher. I’ve tried to express my concerns respectfully to you, and instead I’ve been called a brainwashed ‘Christian’, which implies that I’m not really a true follower of Christ. You’ve judged me as being unwilling to learn without knowing anything about me. Now you’re trying to goad me (on Resurrection Sunday, no less!).

You AGAIN have tried to judge me without knowing anything about me. Well, let me lend you a hand. You think I don’t want to learn anything? I’m a SCIENTIST! I’m ALWAYS wanting to learn new things! I just don’t trust the people on here to teach them to me. I don’t mind exchanging opinions and ideas, but they’re just that: opinions and ideas. As a scientist, I have to trust the source of my information, otherwise the information itself is suspect and must be thrown out. If you want to compare opinions, fine, but teaching is out of the question because there is a circle of distrust that can’t be broken.

The circle of distrust can be seen in a simple question that helps determine whether someone who reads your posts can trust you: “Who are you?” In response to this question, you can tell me anything you like or that you think will garner my trust. E.g.: ‘I’m a scholar who has translated every word of the Bible into 9 languages and I’ve written 20 books on the subject of translating and understanding Biblical context.’ Really? How or why should I believe you? What sets you apart from the “self-proclaimed pastors” you don’t like? You might be such a scholar, but the reality could just as easily be that you’re an atheist who’s been hurt by his local church and has decided to take out his frustrations with Christians on everyone he can by learning everything he can about the Bible so that he can come to discussion forums anonymously and toss little grenades of doubt and chaos into the lives of those he speaks to. Satan knows the Bible too, just as well as you or I do! We, the readers of your posts, have no way to know for sure.

You started out your response to my opinion with calling me names and insulting my relationship with God. So are you through insulting me? Are you done goading me, or can we actually make some real headway here and calmly discuss the merits and risks of having a teaching forum on this site?

By the way, Happy Easter

Quiznos

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Apr, 2020 12:01 PM

Millenial, you express yourself well, i on the other hand am a bit rough around the edges.

I posted the scripture to see if you have been instructed to be able to translate the Word, or are you only following what someone tells you.

Most people will never investigate or question what they have been told by a pastor, as they believe the pastor has their best interest in mind.

What if i told you that the scripture i posted has been mistranslated, and not one publisher has corrected the error.

This is not the only place where the scriptures have been translated wrongly.

When we teach from error, we teach error.

When we approach these pastors, they usually never tell the people, as they do not want to cause controversy, or to rock the boat.

People might leave wondering what else have we been not told the truth about.

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Apr, 2020 05:00 PM

First off, I appreciated your compliment. Thank you.

As for what I would say if you told me that verse has been mistranslated: I’d say let's hear what you have to say. Present your information and your evidence for it. Share the information about your resources and thought processes that lead you to your conclusions. If you have compelling evidence that would change how we all understand something you shouldn’t hold anything back.

If you do this and the integrity and ethics of your work holds up under scrutiny, the reader should have no trouble following your steps and thoughts and should at least be willing to consider your conclusions to be reasonable and worthy of further investigation.

This is the normal peer review process that all research and academia is supposed to abide by. However, if a reviewer can’t reproduce your steps or if they come to a different conclusion after reviewing the evidence, a reviewer may reject your conclusion.

Teddyhug^

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Apr, 2020 10:39 PM

Well there you go! You ask Quiznos to put up or shut up and he disappears!!! All wind and no proof in all he says!

Teddyhug^

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Apr, 2020 10:45 PM

Gosh! I really wanted to know about all this "mistranslation" going on in the Bible!? I guess I will never know now and die in my sins!

Teddyhug^

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Apr, 2020 10:49 PM

Hey Quiznos could you consult with the other "ELDERS" and let me know?

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Apr, 2020 12:00 PM

Countryivy

You don't control who posts here!

Quit critizing.

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Apr, 2020 01:00 PM

Quit criticizing, says the woman who only posted on here to criticize. Perhaps you should attend to the plank in your own eye before you go trying to the splinter out of someone else's eye.

Page : 1 2 3 4 5