Author Thread: Lying On Your Profile...
Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Lying On Your Profile...
Posted : 11 Dec, 2020 01:56 AM

This must be the only dating site where people actually get younger.

I have come across a few profiles where people have shaved a few years off their age.

Including a man I was in contact with and wished him happy birthday last year when he turned 55.

He's profiles now has his age listed as 51 what is it about taking 4 years off your age...😂

View Profile
History
Lying On Your Profile...
Posted : 11 Dec, 2020 09:44 AM

Come on... everyone feels like they're 30 on some days :)

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Lying On Your Profile...
Posted : 12 Dec, 2020 02:36 AM

There's nothing wrong with "feeling like you're 30" but to lie and missrepresent yourself as being something you're not is a different kettle of fish...:-)

View Profile
History
Lying On Your Profile...
Posted : 12 Dec, 2020 06:07 AM

Certainly Jayzee. It's a turnoff when we find out about the deception

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Lying On Your Profile...
Posted : 17 Dec, 2020 02:53 AM

Yes it's very off putting, you can't build a relationship on a lie...:-)

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Lying On Your Profile...
Posted : 15 Jan, 2021 07:29 PM

It’s possible the person lied about his age but then again how do we know for sure.

How might we arrive at a plausible conclusion one way or the other? Certainly not without inquiry. Did anyone ask? Perhaps it was a error. Maybe the person simply posted his profile and never looked again for several months.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Lying On Your Profile...
Posted : 16 Jan, 2021 06:27 AM

Well I know because I was in contact with this person.

We spoke extensively about our lives, I spoke about my children he spoke about his child and grandchild...:-)

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Lying On Your Profile...
Posted : 16 Jan, 2021 07:04 AM

But did you ask him specifically about the age discrepancy?

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Lying On Your Profile...
Posted : 16 Jan, 2021 08:51 AM

No I haven't and I have no intention of asking them. This is is someone "I was" in contact with but I'm no longer in contact with them.

I thought it would make a good talking point because one thing christians should have is integrity..:-)

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Lying On Your Profile...
Posted : 17 Jan, 2021 05:39 PM

I agree with you entirely that all Christians must have integrity, that’s pretty much a given and you’re right.

I’m not suggesting you look the guy up and ask. You know the situation and it’s none of my business. I’m only addressing your rush to judgment when you assume, without proof, he lied about his age. (Not to worry, I’m not judging you, I’ve also rushed into judgment myself—too many times. I’m no angel as many could testify, so I‘m not about to condemn you or anyone else for doing what I have done). I’m only hoping to point out something I’ve learned over the years from my own rushes in to judgement. Like they say, “experience is for fools who won’t learn another way”—yes, that applies directly to me.

Ok, speaking of integrity, I think you’re failing to see how integrity also extends to personal charity, in this case, when you arbitrarily refuse the biblical responsibility of lovingly extending the benefit of doubt. 1 Corinthians 13:7 English Standard Version, 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (better to review the whole chapter)

Paul’s is not saying love is gullible. But by way of relational application, he’s saying love believes in the best about someone until proven otherwise.

In other words, whenever we hear or read something suspicious we always give the person suspiciously involved the benefit of the doubt by withholding judgement.

In the case of your friend (former friend), you might have started out simply by politely pointing out his “error”. In response, he may have apologized and explained the discrepancy. Or he may have revealed his true character by blowing his cork.

You didn’t mention any other serious red flag issues with him so l assume there wasn’t any ?

In conclusion, all I’m saying is this: a single discrepancy on a form doesn’t accrue sufficient evidence to categorize someone.

View Profile
History
Lying On Your Profile...
Posted : 17 Jan, 2021 09:29 PM

On profiles, men are more likely to lie about their age or height. Meanwhile, women are most likely to lie about weight. We can often do it out of shame or fear of rejection.

As Christians, just indicate your real traits. Building any form of relationship requires trust. The online dynamic complicates things enough.

For the change in age, it may indicate that he/she really wanted to contact someone who had the age restriction settings on.

Page : 1 2