Author Thread: Scenario: your wife was just grilled by your atheist eldery parents, for being Christian. Your reaction?
IrenaK

View Profile
History
Scenario: your wife was just grilled by your atheist eldery parents, for being Christian. Your reaction?
Posted : 18 Jan, 2021 02:54 PM

This is real scenario, it has happened to me.

What would you do?

Do you stand and protect your wife, even if you, hypothetically, are atheist and go against your parents in this situation, or , you let your wife stand for herself and try to communicate with them , while you are remaining silent as you are not yourself in the religion topic.

View Profile
History
Scenario: your wife was just grilled by your atheist eldery parents, for being Christian. Your reaction?
Posted : 18 Jan, 2021 05:17 PM

Man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife. Defend my wife even if that means breaking cultural norms.

GreyGrey

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Jan, 2021 08:45 PM

depends on the family dynamics , my friend lived under his mothers thumb all his life , I found it quite disturbing but for others it's ok as its their so called culture. so it probably has less to do with being a Christian believer or non believer but how much power parents have over their adult offsprings , but yeah basically every one except the Christian lady is living and making decisions and desires based on worldlyness . God bless you and if this actually happened to you then prayer in Jesus name that the cycle does not repeat itself .

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jan, 2021 05:49 AM

I agree with JJ. S man should defend his wife in a case like that .

I turned down a marriage proposal once because the man was 43 and still under his momma's thumb. They were All Christians.

Kristofer777

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jan, 2021 05:55 AM

Leave and cut off the relationship with atheist parents. I had a similar situation myself. Your childen's salvation is heavily influenced by their grandparents.

Kristofer777

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jan, 2021 05:55 AM

Leave and cut off the relationship with atheist parents. I had a similar situation myself. Your childen's salvation is heavily influenced by their grandparents.

Kristofer777

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jan, 2021 05:57 AM

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jan, 2021 07:27 AM

I agree JJ-Dave that's how it should be when you start your own family.

But that's not always the case and if the man doesn't set boundaries there, will be enmity between his mum & his wife...:-)

Passionfruit720

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jan, 2021 07:16 PM

There's always a middle ground. One doesn't have to be combative to fight for what he or she believes in. It's a matter of respecting what others believe. It can be an opportunity to let Jesus be known to unbelievers. Be an example on how it is to be a Christian.

But yeah, the man has to support her wife. She's the one who will be living with him, not his parents. They're supposed to start a family of their own.

Passionfruit720

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jan, 2021 07:17 PM

*his

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Jan, 2021 05:44 PM

Atheists are fun to debate.

The first fun thing to do with an atheist is to prove he is not an atheist. Rather he just >>wants<< to be an atheist.

There are not many debate venues I would rather more engage in than with an “atheist”.

Just like reasoning with any God denying fool (Bible term not mine), one need not raise his voice or rudely interrupt the atheist as he attempts to explain his foolishness. When it’s my turn to speak, I merely point out and explain all the weaknesses in his arguments. Atheists all barrow basically from the same playbook of silly, foolish and illogical arguments.

Yes, I would LOVE the opportunity to deflect silly arguments in my direction (if that’s what you mean by protect).

But personally, it wouldn’t be necessary to protect my wife in such cases (esp regarding family members) because I believe its the church’s responsibly to sufficiently equip, instruct and prepare all believers to give answers in defense of the faith against all such foolishnesses.

2 Corinthians 10:5 We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,

1 Peter 3:15

15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

Page : 1 2