Author Thread
HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Is He Serious About Me?
Posted : 16 Feb, 2015 01:59 PM

Disliking Facebook is not a big deal. Several of my friends I know in person have left FB or refused to join.

But ... something seems odd with what you describe. 3 years seems a very long time to continue online dating someone without meeting her.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Position Vs. Condition
Posted : 14 Feb, 2015 08:00 PM

Ahh ... I really hate having this presented as a dichotomy. I'm not faulting you as most popular preachers today teach it that way.

The first 2-3 chapters deal largely with God bringing the Gentiles into His new covenant.

Individuals are always taught to know that they know God by how they live. Are they living in sin or in obedience? Not that our obedience will ever be flawless ... but which is the pattern for our lives? The "condition" if we must use the term is the Biblical indicator of our relationship with God.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Church in America/China
Posted : 14 Feb, 2015 06:11 PM

I know the church in China only by reputation. I know the church in America by experience. So a real comparison is limited.

The compromise that I understand to be a part of the Three Self Church (that is the state-sanctioned church, right?) is evident in many of our American churches. Where wearing a "Christian" label is a social benefit, many people are just Christian enough to claim the label -- but are not truly dedicated disciples of Christ.

If I understand, the Chinese underground church is extremely dedicated to Christ.

The American church has some people as dedicated, but as a whole it is not. Becoming a Christian does not cost most of us as much socially.

Now, there is probably no more generous group in all the world than the American church. We are blessed financially, and pass on much of that blessing, both to the downtrodden among us and those around the world.

But of sacrifice and efficacious prayer, we know far less than do our underground Chinese brethren.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Seeking advice from Mom/Older woman 35+
Posted : 14 Feb, 2015 02:25 PM

Jason,

I'm not a mom and never will be, but perhaps my perspective could help.

When I was your age I often found myself attracted to girls a year or 2 older than myself. Unfortunately (or so I thought) they were usually attracted to guys a year or 2 older than them!

And at college I knew several guys who were attracted to women something like 5 years older. One of the younger guys in freshman English seemed to have quite a crush on the good-looking grad assistant who taught his class. He was quite dismayed to learn that, not only was she 6 years older than he and working on a degree 1 or 2 levels above his ... but was married.

Maturity is attractive. We've probably all had our fill of the giggly girls who seem perpetually in 7th grade. And the women definitely say the same thing about guys. I knew one girl whom I never would have guessed was 3 years younger than myself. She carried herself so maturely.

I seriously doubt there's much up-side in finding a girlfriend your mom's age or nearly. But if you get into the venues where the more mature young people congregate, you should be able to find someone mature enough to attract you and still young enough to be your partner. I mean ... you're not looking for another mom, right? :) Maybe debate team or chess club instead of cheerleaders.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Being a single parent gets harder
Posted : 9 Feb, 2015 09:34 PM

I agree that raising kids is supposed to be a 2-person job. I'm 6 months into single fatherhood of my 5. The load is heavy!

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Not wanting to be viewed or contacted by a Filipna
Posted : 30 Jan, 2015 01:40 PM

I'm very thankful to be in the USA ... but economically we have come down a peg or two the last few years. If I were starting now, I know I'd have more difficulty getting into the job market than I did 15 years ago.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Posted : 6 Jan, 2015 05:35 AM

>> I think the main complaint centres around people not getting enough messages from near them, and getting so much attention from so far away.

Agreed.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Tell me if this is demonic !!!
Posted : 3 Jan, 2015 07:01 AM

Yes, it's demonic. It is:

* Islamic

* Cruel

* A perversion of marriage

3 good signs it's demonic.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Posted : 3 Jan, 2015 06:58 AM

Speaking for myself, I hesitate to build a friendship with romantic potential with anyone who is from a significantly different culture than my own. There are enough differences of expectations among Americans. I don't even know what differences would need to be discussed going outside of that culture. For example, how do I distinguish dedicated Christianity from cultural Christianity in another culture? (I largely know the signs here.) How well will I get to know someone with whom I may not be able to have phone calls and face-to-face visits would be extremely rare since 10 time zones separate us? Though she may be better educated than I, how well will she do as a homeschooling mom in the American context?

So I rarely carry on a conversation with someone outside USA or Canada. And ... fully half of those who view my profile are Filipinas. And fully half of the Filipinas who view my profile are Roman Catholic ... introducing a religious difference I don't want to tackle.

For me at least, it's not based on looks, skin tone, etc. Many Filipinas are very attractive!

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
ISIS and its brutality
Posted : 2 Jan, 2015 07:12 PM

Thanks for posting that. Also for the reminder to be true. Fear not them that kill the body ...

Page : 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13