Author Thread
HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
The reason for marriage
Posted : 15 Oct, 2015 07:39 AM

I agree with the points about male leadership being the design. With this point, however, I must take exception.

"also to abused wives.... No! divorce is not biblical!...separation and getting away from him is biblical! YAHWEH..did not call you to be abused or beaten or harmed!!! but divorce is not the answer..... separation getting aSAFE location, praying if you believe in God for someone you allegedly claim to love you pray for him that he will be changed if not YAHWEY will deal with him that is how you deal with abusive relationships!"

To begin with, long-term separation is not a legal option in some states. A couple, at least in Indiana, must either come back together or divorce.

Going back to a man who is physically abusive is a prescription for worse abuse. Ladies, don't do it!

But abuse was the *original* reason God permitted divorce. In Deuteronomy 24, a man who found "uncleanness" in his wife could write up a divorce. But a husband who "hated" her might do the same.

Why did the Law make this provision? The Lawgiver (Christ who gave it to Moses) explains in Matthew 19 that it was for the hardness of their hearts. Because some men are evil, some men, if divorce is not an option, will abuse or even kill. Consider King Henry VIII.

Ladies, if your husband is striking (not just yelling at) you or the children, get that safe place and DIVORCE him!

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Moral Separation....
Posted : 14 Oct, 2015 09:31 PM

Is there any effort at reconciliation? Or has a divorce been filed?

If neither side has taken the steps to file the divorce, I would disagree with beginning dating.

On the other hand, the filing of divorce matches the Deuteronomy 24 "bill of divorcement" requirement and, to my understanding, releases the parties to begin dating.

Many people will recommend some healing period between filing divorce and beginning dating. That is probably a very good idea, but not a moral imperative.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
"The Date"
Posted : 14 Oct, 2015 08:56 PM

>>My best first date is the gun-range.

Awesome! I love that idea. :)

I'm sure not *all* the ladies would agree, however.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
check this!
Posted : 14 Oct, 2015 08:00 PM

Well, during my college years (half a lifetime ago) I dated a lot of the nicer girls. Humbler girls. But some of them were the VERY shy girls.

I took one girl to lunch who was so shy that conversation was impossible. Whatever I brought up, she had a one-word answer.

She got out one full sentence: "I'm not looking for a guy and my parents support me in this."

I've had other awkward dates, but that was the most!

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
"The Date"
Posted : 29 Apr, 2015 03:15 PM

Perhaps "discerning" or "discovering" her personality suits better than "testing".

Talk with her about many things. You'll disagree on some. When that happens ... is she afraid to voice a contrary opinion? So strident in her opinions she gets rude?

Go to different kinds of places with her. Out on a boat is likely to seem a little scary to her for a first date. There's a lot of value in keeping to semi-public places. But sometimes it's a restaurant. Sometimes you pack the bologna sandwiches and a frisbee and go to a park. Sometimes a zoo or museum.

But you're observing. How does she treat other people? Is she kind even when it doesn't appear others are watching? What's her attitude toward children? Toward the elderly or handicapped? When you play a game, does she win and lose with similar grace? Or is she a smug winner or sore loser?

You want to get to know her over a period of time, a variety of venues, with a variety of people groups, and her philosophy of life in a variety of areas.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
The Attack on the Brethren by the Brethren
Posted : 28 Apr, 2015 08:42 PM

Sorry for the confusion, Blondie. As I view the forum,

it appears that the troll had posted a reply to your post. I quoted what appeared to be the reply. I was objecting to the troll's "reply", not to what you wrote.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
What do you guys look for????
Posted : 28 Apr, 2015 08:50 AM

>>Finally, Smile!! If you look depressed or angry in your pic I will run the other way!!

Yeah, I've done that. A few have an Ice Queen's glare and make me think being single isn't so bad. :)

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
The Attack on the Brethren by the Brethren
Posted : 25 Apr, 2015 06:58 PM

>>This is why the Word of God appears to be written only to men and only about men.

Perhaps you jest. Surely you are familiar with Sarah, Hannah, Deborah, Ruth, Esther, the several Marys of the gospels, and Dorcas. Surely you're aware of John's epistle addressed "to the elect lady".

Male authority in home and church is a definite doctrine of the Bible. Saying that women are incapable of understanding certain doctrines simply because they're women ...

Are you trolling?

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
The Scripture does not refer to Men and Woman as being "Brethren"..
Posted : 25 Apr, 2015 06:51 PM

Gender distinction is important. Male headship in home and church is important.

If that's what you're saying, I agree.

If you are going beyond that, as it sounds, to say that men are more important, more valuable, or more godly than women, I cannot agree.

There is an essential equality between the sexes, notwithstanding the authoritative roles given to men alone.

Consider Galatians 3:28.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
What do you guys look for????
Posted : 22 Apr, 2015 12:55 PM

Not looking at the men's profiles (except if I engage one in debate here on the fora), I really don't know. Sorry!

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10