Author Thread
HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Psalm 19
Posted : 20 Mar, 2015 12:07 PM

That's been one of my favorite Psalms for a long time. Thanks for posting.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Can True Christians Be Liberals?
Posted : 20 Mar, 2015 06:40 AM

"Liberal" and "conservative" certainly have different meanings in different contexts.

The original question made sense within the American context for the past 40 years.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
dating and drinking
Posted : 19 Mar, 2015 09:06 PM

I've also been surprised to learn that the majority of Christians here drink. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were a glass with a meal a few times a year. Maybe a bit more. Though I wouldn't partake.

But ... for quite a few, it is quite a bit more than that, if I read the profiles correctly.

So ... I'm here to find a match, not to try to turn someone into a match.

Anyway, as has been stated, that's only 1 variable. I don't get a lot of responses either ... but some.

I do find myself more likely to send a lady a message if I look longer at her profile. One thing that gets me looking longer at a profile is more pictures. What do you look like dressed your best? Having fun? With some of the kids you care for?

You've put a face with your screen name already. But a few pictures that put your face with some of the other things in your profile can't hurt.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Have you already met them?
Posted : 18 Mar, 2015 11:29 AM

One type claims a high level of education, but makes simple spelling errors.

But flattery is the biggest thing that raises my suspicions.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Transparency...
Posted : 13 Mar, 2015 10:00 PM

I understood that sentence to use "edifies" as an intransitive verb and only "pleases" as the transitive verb with "God" as the direct object.

Admittedly, I'd hate to try to diagram that one ... but I think I understood her meaning. :)

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
What do you say when people mention homosexuality?
Posted : 13 Mar, 2015 12:49 PM

I say that Jesus saves from all sin, including homosexuality. The passage in 1 Cor 6 that so soundly condemns homosexuality (among other sins) ends with beautiful hope. Such *WERE* some of you, but ye are washed ... hallelujah!

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Transparency...
Posted : 13 Mar, 2015 12:47 PM

Thanks. I hope it's Godly wisdom. It has some to do with my upbringing and some to do with experiences as an adult.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Can True Christians Be Liberals?
Posted : 12 Mar, 2015 08:28 PM

I'm going to be very careful about de-Christianizing on any basis other than what the Bible clearly does.

Those who are cheating people, lying, committing sexual sins, drunkards, murderers -- they are not Christians. I have that on the authority of God's word.

I have a couple friends who make strong professions of Christian faith but are liberal. Not liberal on every issue, but liberal on some and vote according to those issues.

One is anti-capitalist, very environmentalist, and generally thinks that government is pretty good at solving problems. He opposes abortion and probably is conservative on some other points, but he prioritizes the issues on which he's liberal and votes that way.

My friendship with those people is limited. I could NEVER marry someone like that! But I hope to fellowship well with some of them when we meet at Jesus' feet.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Transparency...
Posted : 12 Mar, 2015 06:23 PM

Obviously situations differ, but my rule of thumb is that most personal information comes out in the first several conversations. Things that I realize some women will not want to deal with ... I want them to know after a few phone calls.

By the time we actually reach a commitment ... where we're adjusting our plans for our lives based on future prospects ... if she doesn't know about my basic beliefs, my past relationship(s), my prospects and desires (or lack thereof) for more children ... then I haven't been fair to her.

By the time we've talked several hours, I would like to know whether all a lady's kids have the same dad. How long she's been a Christian. What kind of church she attends and why.

There are plenty of fish in the sea ... and we owe it to ourselves and one another to be careful fishers.

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
Conversation on CDFF
Posted : 5 Mar, 2015 06:41 PM

Agreed, RD.

There have been a couple times I've asked if I offended by something I said. If still no answer ... then the interest is gone, offense or not.

In one case, I lady had not replied, but I asked about an offense. She said no, but we just lived too far apart.

Page : 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11