Author Thread: I need your feedback. Is mt picture inapropriate for this site?
Admin

I need your feedback. Is mt picture inapropriate for this site?
Posted : 5 Mar, 2009 06:06 AM

I had just bought a new camera phone and wanted to try it out.....so I snapped a pic off my guest bathroon mirror.

I wasn't even thinking about what I was wearing. I havn't gotten one negative comment from younger men....but, a couple older men have written to me saying that I am showing to much cleavage.

I live in Florida and i guess we wear less clothing here most of the year. The top I had on is'nt one that I would wear to church......but, I wouldn't wear a bathing suit either.....that's for the beach or at home.

So i need some feedback.....do you think that it is wrong for me to wear a top like this at anytime....or just because it is my profile pic? Resectfully, Colleen

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Mar, 2009 11:50 AM

Hi Colleen,

I would like to address something you said. When I place any CAPS on words it is only for emphasis and I am not shouting. While you have debated other peoples opinions you have yet to address any scriptures I have presented. I hope you will take the time to do so after reading this post.

COLLEEN: "Your right.....what matters is that what I do I am not convicted by. For some it is a sin to drink and eat meat sacrificed to idols...and for others it is not. So do what you do with a clear concious. Mine is clear pertaining to this matter....and that is what counts.

Soooo if my Father hasn't felt the need to convict me... then I am free...free indeed:)"

WALTER: While you may not "feel" any conviction from God the Father or the Holy Spirit it does not mean He is not trying to. Let me explain.

Paul had to address the Corinthian church and rebuke them for their many sins that were being committed. One of the issues he dealt with was that some were involved in "fornication". They were open about it and they "felt" no conviction of their sin. Paul was tough on them too. These Christians, though possessing the Holy Spirit were not "feeling" any conviction. Conviction can be subjective to a person's own "feelings" and those feelings may not be in tune with the Holy Spirit. This is where knowing the depth of God's written word is paramount.

I know of Christians who are not convicted of the sin of "pre-marital sex" either. Does that mean because they don't feel any conviction that they are "Free" too? Of course not. Sometimes our own personal feelings can block the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

Now Paul also had to rebuke and teach the Corinthians of another principle which goes straight to the heart of this issue.

Let me address what you also said about eating meat sacrificed to idols.

While Paul did say that it is ok to eat meat sacrificed to idols, it was in the context that knowing who God really is and that eating meat sacrificed to a false god, an idol is nothing because we would not be eating that meat believing in that sacrifice. But Paul went even further concerning this that you did not address which is the most important point he made and is very relevant to this issue.

Rom 14:21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine NOR DO ANYTHING by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.

I don't think Romans above needs explanation. That is the point you are missing. Let's look at another passage.

1Cor 8:7 However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.

8 But food does not commend us to God; for neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse.

9 BUT BEWARE lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak.

10 For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol's temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols?

11 And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?

12 But when you THUS SIN against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, YOU SIN AGAINST CHRIST.

13 THEREFORE, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble. NKJV

This is where a mature Christian realizes their own responsibility to NOT do anything that could potentially cause a fellow believer to stumble, to SIN and it is a sin against Christ to do so. So many Christians forget this passage and do not want to apply it. Why? Perhaps it interferes with their wanting to have one foot in the Kingdom and one foot in the world.

The scriptures above are not mere guidelines for us to pick and choose. Because they were written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they are therefore commandments from

Christ. Even Paul said so.

1Cor 14:37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge THAT THE THINGS I WRITE TO YOU ARE THE COMMANDMENTS OF THE LORD.NKJV

John 15:10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

The commandments Jesus is referring to are all of His teachings in the NEW Testament, NOT the Mosaic Law.

Blessings!

Walter

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Mar, 2009 01:01 PM

Walter,

An excellent post! We have had this conversation before and the bottom line is that we can not pick and choose the parts of the Bible that we want to obey! We see this over and over with those who will not separate themselves from the world.

Yes, we do have this wonderful freedom in Christ, however we do also have a responsibility as well not to stumble our brethren. When will we finally come out from among them ( the world ) and keep ourselves holy and set apart to serve him? We can not serve 2 masters. Joshua 24:15 choose foe yourselves this day whom you will serve, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Blessings, Lydia

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Mar, 2009 01:10 PM

The tragedy is that many love their freedom and sin more than Jesus.

May God have mercy, Lydia

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Mar, 2009 01:42 PM

i'm not reading 5 pages, so if someone's already said this...sorry.

but, if you are so concerned about your top being too reveiling, how stinkin hard is it to either 1) take down the picture, or 2) snap another one where your girls arent hanging out.

i dont know you & honestly i dont care if you get angry at me, because you asked in the first place, but it seems to me that all you're looking for is attention.

i know that if i posted a picture of myself on this website with my ladies hanging out of a shirt, it would be because i WANTED guys to see.

if you're really concerned about it being too revealing, just put a new picture as your profile picture. its not too terribly hard.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Mar, 2009 03:38 PM

starr123,

Thank you! I agree with you about the attention thing, and yes it would be so easy to remove the picture and post a new one.

Many blessings, Lydia

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Mar, 2009 03:46 PM

starr,

I just wanted to say that I am so encouraged by the strong Christian moral values expressed by our younger brothers and sisters on this site. You all set such a good example, and the world is watching!

May God bless you all with the mates that you desire and may you continue to be awesome witnesses for Christ.

Love and hope, Lydia

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Mar, 2009 09:47 PM

thank you. :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Mar, 2009 09:57 PM

what I find disturbing is that this is the most popular thread on this site.It is obvious from the title that there could very well be a revealing picture in it.Yet nearly 500 people have viewed it "Myself included".As far as the picture goes,I have to say, I have seen much worse.

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Mar, 2009 05:55 AM

Hi Ryan,

Yes I have seen much worse as well but are we suppose to use those that are worse as the standard of what is not acceptable or are we suppose to use God's standard and the principles HE has given us in His Word in that we are not to do anything that could cause a brother or sister to stumble? Please read my post above to Collen and let me know your perspective after that.

Blessings!

Walter

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Mar, 2009 09:14 AM

Walter,

I have been a Chriatian for a long time now.....I know the differance between not being convicted and being in denial of Gods conviction. Any time a Christian says they do feel convicted when they are sinning......they are in denial.

Wearing a low cut top is not sinning....ok? It is my personal preferrance.

I don't claim to know all.....but, i do know the holy spirit very well.....he has been living inside of me for a long time now:)

Just because I don't agree with you....doesn't mean I am wrong......and you know.....there are differant periods in a Christians life when one thing or another may be permisable....but, not nessesarily benificial. When it is inappropriate to wear a top....such as in my pic....like to church....I don't wear it. I get the feeling you think I dress like that all the time?????

Sooooo.......when/if that time comes..relating to my choice of dress.....I'm sure God will make sure I hear him.....he always has:) He knows how to get through to me....always has:) Colleen

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10