Author Thread: I need your feedback. Is mt picture inapropriate for this site?
Admin

I need your feedback. Is mt picture inapropriate for this site?
Posted : 5 Mar, 2009 06:06 AM

I had just bought a new camera phone and wanted to try it out.....so I snapped a pic off my guest bathroon mirror.

I wasn't even thinking about what I was wearing. I havn't gotten one negative comment from younger men....but, a couple older men have written to me saying that I am showing to much cleavage.

I live in Florida and i guess we wear less clothing here most of the year. The top I had on is'nt one that I would wear to church......but, I wouldn't wear a bathing suit either.....that's for the beach or at home.

So i need some feedback.....do you think that it is wrong for me to wear a top like this at anytime....or just because it is my profile pic? Resectfully, Colleen

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Mar, 2009 07:16 PM

Lydia,her picture didn't cause me to lust in any way.It was the enticement of the thread title that peaked my curiosity.

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Mar, 2009 07:23 PM

ella is hitting the nail on the head you guys.

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Mar, 2009 07:24 PM

Ryan,

The thread title would not have been their but for the picture. I challenge everyone who thinks that the picture was fine for a Christian site to ask their pastor what they think. Ask them if it is okay to show your chest to hundreds of men on a Christian website.

Please get back to me on this.

Blessings, Lydia

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Mar, 2009 07:59 PM

Ella: Lydia,

No where does God command us to wear certain clothing.

Leon: See answer and scripture at bottom

Ella: Leon,

We are to judge righteously according to God's moral standards to what HE has called SIN, not what you THINK are SINS and according to your own beliefs. God also says not to judge unrighteously...

Leon: Ella, you answered this one yourself, in the next paragraph.

Quote: If you know to do right as James tells us, and you don't do right, then this is sin, becasue it is rebellion and disobediance, and these are sins. There is also 1 john 5:17 For ALL unrighteousness is sin. Unless you want to argue with yourself.

Matthew

5:27

"You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.'

5:28

But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Romans 14:9 BUT BEWARE lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak.

In other words you cannot ABUSE your liberty in Christ.

10 For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol's temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols?

11 And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?

12 But when you THUS SIN against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, YOU SIN AGAINST CHRIST.

13 THEREFORE, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.

There it is in order. If you can not see it there, then I will pray that God give you eyes to see, and ears to hear. This is not difficult stuff, it is Sunday School teachings.

Ella:Paul exhorted women to dress a certain way to separate them from the loose women, no where is there a command in that passage nor does Paul call this a sin... but Paul does say legalism is a sin... and this is what I'm hearing from you guys in all of your religiosities...

Leon: Let's look at legalism for a minute. If the law is no more, then I can run down the street killing people, and it is all good...no harm, no foul. I mean, there is no more law, right? I can go rape and rampage, and God will pat me on the back, and say good job, is that what you are saying? It would have to be, because we are NOT talking about a ceremonial law here, we are talking about a MORAL law, and that is what I just gave you two examples of.

Of course Paul is talking about sin, Ella have you been drinking your bathwater again? He was an Apostle, I know you don't like him, but his writings are inspired by the Holy Spirit, so every word is from God.

1 Timothy

2:9

in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing,

2:10

but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works.

Where does this say it is to set them apart from harlots? It doesn't, and neither does any other translation, you are just wrong. He is commanding them how to act in church.

And in case you were going to argue that this wasn't church...WE are the church!!! Not some building somewhere. ALL believers. So, yes, she was in church!!

I know how unfruitful arguing with you is, and I will not answer you and your opinions without real scripture that is not taken out of context. I will not be dragged back into another argument like the last one.

I love you, Ella. But I don't believe for a minute that you would act as this woman did. I am at a lack of understanding as to why you would defend such behavior.

Love and grace,

Leon

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Mar, 2009 09:20 PM

This whole thing is making me very sad.

Why do people post questions and/or ask opinions if they already have their own answer and/or opinion?

An open request for an opinion was asked for, and several people expressed their opinions.

The offensive picture is gone, so let's move on and be fruitfull.

Lydia, what are those other Christian sites you spoke about?

With love,

T

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Mar, 2009 09:31 PM

Tandy,

Christian mingle, single C, Christian Cafe to name a few, I will get a bigger list for you. These sites do not allow men without shirts or cleavage showing. They screen the profiles for language also.

Keep your standards high my sister!

Blessings, Lydia

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Mar, 2009 09:35 PM

Yes Ma'am!! LOL!

Check out the Biblical Discussions board!

With love,

T

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Mar, 2009 09:56 PM

Colleen,

You said and I quote: "I am not going to get into a scriptual debate or any other with any of you anymore regarding this issue"

WALTER: You NEVER addressed the scriptures presented to begin with. Why? Because you cannot defend your position against the written word of God. So you ignored them.

You never answered the biblical questions.

You never engaged anyone regarding the principles Paul laid out regarding YOUR responsibility as a Christian to not ABUSE your liberty in Christ at the expense of another Christian stumbling.

But you did do a lot of whining, complaining and making false accusations against everyone whose opinions you did not like. You asked for opinions and then complained about them. Your entire focus was all about you and your liberty in Christ. Never did you demonstrate any consideration or responsibility for the spiritual well being of your brothers and sisters. It was only about you.

If the administration thought your picture was appropriate they would not have removed it. Period! Get over yourself and start growing in God's word and stop focusing on you. Focus on Christ and others first.

Pro 9:8 Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you; Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you.

Pro 13:1 A wise son heeds his father's instruction, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke.

Pro 13:18 Poverty and shame will come to him who disdains correction, But he who regards a rebuke will be honored.

Pro 15:32 He who disdains instruction despises his own soul, But he who heeds rebuke gets understanding.

Pro 17:10 Rebuke is more effective for a wise man Than a hundred blows on a fool.

Pro 27:5 Open rebuke is better Than love carefully concealed.NKJV

We all truly love you Colleen but we are not going to let you get away with your nonsense.

In Christ,

Walter

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Mar, 2009 10:06 PM

Ryan,

I hope you know I have not been over looking your posts and comments, I've just been trying to keep up with everything plus, running in and out off the computer only to come back and twenty more posts have been added LOL.... sorry, I'm just getting back to you.

Look, Just because you looked at that picture didn't mean you lusted, no more than Walter and Leon, who also looked at the same picture, and then tried to make contact with her. Colleen never asked for anyone to contact her with their response, she asked for a corporate feedback from the viewers, about the picture. But they have made it all into a religious sin that God doesn't even recognize as a sin... this is religious legalism at its best.

And when people disagree with others views, and they throw scriptures around and are used them to try and justify their views, and make it fit their beliefs, believe me, something is spiritually wrong. I know scriptures to use to judge and condemn what is being said and their views, and attitudes toward Colleen, and the manner in which they are responding to her. But I really don't think this would be proper to use God's word in such a manner as this, when there has not been a sin committed, or a need for anything to be corrected with scriptures. Scripture is to be used for rebuke, correction, reproof, and insturcutions when it is necessary and there is a need. And I don't think this is such a necessary case for scripture to be used with sich condemnation and judging.

A simple exhortation, or caution of encouragement in how a woman who professes and confesses Christ should dress would have been appropiate. But Colleen didn't even ask for that, she ask for an opinion and this is a issues of personal opinions, and should be treated as such based on your own personal views... as I've said, she was not in church singing in the choir wearing this top, she is on a christian dating social site, and no one knows if the owner of this site is even a christian, but has just provided a platform for christians to meet. Everybody on here aren't christians,so are they to be chastened for being on here, and just because they do not profess or confess Christ?

And if appears Colleen hasn't spiritually matured to know that as a christian woman she is wearing inappropiate attire, then why did the men feel it necessary for them to contact her?... if the women saw the same inapporiateness as the men did,I would think the women would have been the first to be so Christ-liked enough, and found a need to contact Colleen to tell her, her top wasn't proper for a christian sitejust as fast as Leon and Walter jumped to contact her to try and save her?... I'm just saying.

And if Colleen's picture and top is under condemnation, then so should all others,and, they should go to all the profiles on this site and send every woman and some men to, a PM and tell them what they found in scripture, that supports your personal spiritual believes, of what they should be wearing and the kind of posee they should have in their pictures... not only that, but contact administration and let them know that some of the ads we see flowing around on this site with women in suggestive poses are also inapporiate for a chirstian dating site... All in love is fair...

Ryan,I think you're right in what you're saying and the way you and many others see this. This is what happens with legalist points of view, they call things that be not sin, that even God don't call sin, yet they themsleves are in those very sins God has condemned and called out as a sin... it never fails. Paul even write about this in Roamsn chapter 2.

No one ever thought that maybe, that just maybe...becasue they wouldn't wear such a top, that Colleen hasn't grown to such spiritual maturity as not to wear such a top... If looking at her picture is lust for you, shouldn't looking at her picture be the same for Leon adn Walter? then Leon and Walter are also guilty of the same sin of lust... See, no matter what you say, it is twist back around toward you, to keep the focus off of them and their motives as to why they felt a need to contact her... that's my point.

But Only God knows and they know the real intent of their hearts as to why they contacted her in the first place... she didn't request any saviors to rescue her, she requested a point of view... so what were their real motivational responses? ...:winksmile: LOL... if your motivational response was lust. Oh, I forgot, they were trying to save her. LOL

Religous judging, around in circles, off course LOL... I don't you or no one has a need to apologize or feel guilty for looking at her picture, so what's the problem?

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Mar, 2009 10:17 PM

Brother Ryan,

Leon and myself have explained with sound properly exegeted scriptures regarding the main issue of all of this. Did you study my post and study the scriptures I presented as well as Leons'?

As Christians we have "liberty in Christ" but we do not have the right to abuse that liberty in doing anything that could cause a fellow Christian to stumble. A Christian who is mature and well grounded in God's word understands this basic principle. Lydia has only been a Christian for 4 years if my memory serves me correctly and yet she already understands this very well. She changed her attitude after she studied God's word. She began to change the way she dressed. She downplayed her bodily features so she would try and minimize the possibility of her brothers from stumbling. I know many Christian women who also have dynamic bodies and faces, some are former models, yet they understand their responsibility to not dress in any manner that can potentially cause their brothers to stumble. Some will not even wear a bathing suit to the beach for that reason and I believe they are to be admired for their stance.

I encourage you to study God's word to a greater depth. Perhaps if you would try and find a church to attend and stop trying to find issues with the Pastors and make excuses for not going to church then perhaps that might help you. There are no perfect churches, no perfect Pastors and certainly none of us have arrived at all truth. But we all should attend somewhere and contribute to the edifying of the members of the church. It is also a place where you can be held accountable by placing yourself under the authority of the Elders of that church.

Blessings!

Walter

Page : 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14