Author Thread
teach_ib

View Profile
Modern day version of the Proverbs 31 Women........
Posted : 3 Nov, 2013 11:42 AM

Here you go...I went verse by verse to try to make it relevant...

Proverbs 31:10 Who can find a virtuous woman?�for her price is far above rubies.

**** the woman described in the following verses is not your average everyday woman, she is hard to find...and in reality will be assessed differently by the man who finds her (she will be the crown jewel for him, but not necessarily for any other man)

11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her,�so that he shall have no need of spoil.

She is irrefutably faithful, she will be there for him through tick and thin, good times, bad times...think of the wedding vows...she won't be flirting with anyone else, she won't be running around in places that are questionable...she gives him no cause to be jealous or to seek out someone else. �She's affectionate, keeps herself well to remain attractive to him

12 �She will do him good and not evil�all the days of her life.

Think of the wedding vows...til death do us part...if he makes her angry or doesn't pick up after himself, or forgets to take the trash out, or get the oil changed...she still loves him and does good things for him. �She doesn't gossip about him with her family and friends. �She finds the good in him...and doesn't plot ways to 'get even with him'

13 �She seeketh wool, and flax,�and worketh willingly with her hands.

Ok, so this one may be a little more challenging...previous generations made all the clothes for their family, their weren't stores to go buy the latest fashions, they made their own yarn to knit, weave, etc...my mom made almost all our clothes growing up, including my father's suits...she was gifted. �if you can sew, great, I tried and failed miserably...I could do it but I don't...so in today's world, you find the good deals on clothing. �You sew buttons back on shirts, trousers, repair hems, splits in pants, etc. �working willingly with her hands, you cook, clean, etc...(note this does not excuse the man from doing his part to help)

14 She is like the merchants 'ships;�she bringeth her food from afar.

Shopping for food...she searches out the special deals, she finds the foods he likes, the family likes. �She'll make the extra trip to the store to get the right stuff...for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc. �her pantry is properly supplied so no one goes without.

15 She riseth also while it is yet night,�and giveth meat to her household,�and a portion to her maidens.

She gets up before the rest of the family to prepare breakfast and lunches...she gets the kids ready for school, gets her husband up...has the coffee going, breakfast fixing out, etc...tell me ladies, who do you think will get the kids ready? �While the husband may help, it's the mom that does it, even with today's working society.

16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it:�with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.

This is where some of the guys may disagree...but the verse is there...she has saved money, she goes out and finds the deals, maybe does the research on the house to buy, maybe some investment property, etc. �She is wise with finances, she is a saver/prudent in business dealings. �If you look at the Amish lifestyle, the women plant the family garden...the men will plant & work the fields for sales crops. �Even working women plant herb gardens, vegetable gardens, etc...they used to do a lot of canning of fruits and vegetables (I used to help my mom). �Now, she knows the best place to get fresh veggies...and we can get them year round...

17 �She girdeth her loins with strength,�and strengtheneth her arms.

Who is there to take care of everyone else in the family? �When even she is sick, she gathers the strength to get up, get things ready, fixes meals, takes care of whatever...because of her working around the home (carrying 20-30 lb babies, laundry baskets, groceries, etc) builds up muscles in her arms, legs, etc

18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good:�her candle goeth not out by night.

She does her best work, knows it's quality work...she stays up late to get things done...first up, last to bed. �She prepares things, repairs things (remember those buttons & hems?), after the kids are asleep, she has time for the rest of the work...

19 �She layeth her hands to the spindle,�and her hands hold the distaff.

More of the sewing, repairing, fixing, mending, prep work...if money is tight, she will be patching and mending...and she does the best she can because it is a reflection of her when here husband and children go out

20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor;�yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.

She makes time to work in the soup kitchen, makes or donates things for poor and needy, visits the shut ins, those in the hospitable, volunteers in the school, church, Sunday School, nursery, etc

21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household:�for all her household are clothed with scarlet.

She is already prepared for any weather...she checks the weather reports...the rain slickers/snowsuits, boots, sandals, etc are ready. �The snow shovels are ready, (for those who know how crazy it gets in the DC metro area...she already has milk, bread, and toilet paper...she doesn't have to run to the store). The pantry has supplies if it's a hurricane, flood, blizzard, sandstorm, etc

22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry;�her clothing is silk and purple.

She dresses well herself. She doesn't run around in rags...see verse 11... She dresses nice for husband...does her hair, is well groomed for him!

23 Her husband is known in the gates,�when he sitteth among the elders of the land.

She makes sure her husband is prepared for his day, good breakfast, good lunch, nice, appropriate clothes (clean, ironed, in good repair...dry cleaned, wrinkle free...). �She tells him she appreciates what he does and encourages him when he's having troubles at work. �She kisses goodbye in the morning, puts love notes in his lunch box, etc. �This gives him the confidence he needs to do a good job, boosts his self esteem. �

******�

24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it;�and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.

In previous days, she would make additional clothes, items to sell. �She'd sell her extra produce, make crafts to sell...makes extra money for the household. �In today's society, she may have a job outside the home, tutor kids for money, she isn't idle.

25 Strength and honour are her clothing;�and she shall rejoice in time to come.

She does all these things because she knows that is what God wants her to do...she doesn't complain about all she does...and she probably won't be thanked very much by her family for what she does...she may feel like she is taken for granted...in time, she will receive the acknowledgment...how many of us were rude to our moms? �Thought we knew it all and didn't need her advice? As you've gotten older and experiencing more in life...how many times do you think back on things your mom taught you...or did for you...and wish she was still doing your laundry, fixing your meals, picking up after you...because now you have to do it on your own...now you remember her advice and start heeding it! �You'll call your mom after the first baby arrives...Those of you whose mom has already passed on, you wish she was there to ask a question...### this is the time your mom will rejoice...you do well in your life, she will rejoice

26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom;�and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

She's no dummy...she has learned many things and shares them with her husband, her children, her friends, others. �She teaches, she demonstrates how to do things. �She does things with love and kindness...not spiteful, angry, complaining, bitter...see verse 12...she doesn't gloat when she is proven right...not saying I told you so...see verse 25

27 She looketh well to the ways of her household,�and eateth not the bread of idleness.

She takes care of her home, ensures it is clean (could have a cleaning service, have the kids help, etc). She's not just lying around or running around the neighborhood...remember those verses about the poor, needy, shopping, etc...if she is doing the things she supposed to do, there's not much time left for idleness...and therefore her husband won't have to worry that she's out with another man

28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed;�her husband also, and he praiseth her.

Verse 25 ties in...when the kids are grown (arise up), they will realize the blessing it was that mom did all those things for them. �Her husband also realizes all the things she does...and tells her how much he appreciates it...and how good of a job she's doing

29 Many daughters have done virtuously,�but thou excellest them all.

Solomon was bragging on his own mom here...he was comparing her to all the other mom's...but his was the best...in his mind! �

30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain:�but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.

We all want to be well liked, well groomed...look our best...but if you really want the recognition for being a good wife, mom, then serve the Lord, do the things you do knowing you are doing it for Him...and it will be easier to do for him (husband)

31 Give her of the fruit of her hands;�and let her own works praise her in the gates.

She doesn't have to run around and say look what I did...isn't this awesome...people will recognize her handiwork, her family members (her kids will be well behaved having learned manners and respect at home). �

This was a great project...even though I have read, studied, listened, observed, going through verse by verse like this added another perspective to this chapter. �I think of Paul who said he was all things to all people...that is exactly what a wife/mother is...a cook, nurse, seamstress,taxi driver, shopper, seller, etc...

teach_ib

View Profile
Was it a package of sin?
Posted : 2 Nov, 2013 09:29 PM

"How then can a weaker vessel help the stronger one... "

The wife usually cooks and shops for the husband. She provides encouragement and comfort to the husband. She's a friend and confidant, listening to him as he talks about the challenges of the day and plans the future.

She prays for him, his success, his health, his needs and wants.

God also gifts men and women differently...the woman may have more knowledge or talent on things than the man....she may be better at managing finances, investing, electronics, etc...she can take on repsonsibility for keeping the bank accounts, paying bills, etc. She may have learned some skills that he never had interest or opportunity...such as car maintenance, computer systems, home repairs, etc.

I know some husband and wife teams that have come to agreement that he cooks and she mows the yard because they enjoy those activities.

teach_ib

View Profile
Looking for a "Gentleman"?
Posted : 2 Nov, 2013 08:50 PM

Honest

Courteous

Respectful in actions and attitude

Considerate

Helpful

Caring

Friendly

Leads without dominating

Inclusive

teach_ib

View Profile
Matthew 22:11-12
Posted : 2 Nov, 2013 05:37 AM

Hi Sisygirl,

You captured it verse by verse! God's way is straightforward, man tries to make it complex.

Love ya

teach_ib

View Profile
Please pray for my work
Posted : 1 Nov, 2013 09:38 PM

Hope you are successful. God bless

teach_ib

View Profile
Please pray.
Posted : 1 Nov, 2013 09:36 PM

may God answer your prayers and give you strength and discernment.

teach_ib

View Profile
A little help please!.........
Posted : 31 Oct, 2013 04:51 PM

God's timing is not our timing. If we get too I patient we may settle for the wrong mate. Use this for alarming experience.

I have learned more about myself, my views, my likes and dislikes, and how to interact with people better. I've gained some friends and learned how to deal with those who may oppose my views.

teach_ib

View Profile
Matthew 22:11-12
Posted : 31 Oct, 2013 04:14 PM

If you sent out invitations to a party with a dress standard and someone showed up dressed inappropriately, you might ask them to leave.

This parable is a parallel to entrance into Heaven. God has identified the dress requirement, all who enter Heaven must be covered by Christ's blood. Anyone who shows up without the covering will be denied entry.

teach_ib

View Profile
I know this topic of discussion.......
Posted : 31 Oct, 2013 04:07 PM

Definitely an interesting topic which I have struggled with over the years. I am more open to at least have a dialog with someone who drinks because many Christians have been taught differently about drinking.

A discussion on how much and how often they drink would be appropriate as well as why they drink and their Biblical views on drinking.

Could be they drink lightly at a work or family function.

They might be willing to quit altogether for the right woman, with the right encouragement, or once shown why you consider it against the Bible.

If you met someone at work or church or some other event, you might now they drink for a while because it's not a question asked when you first meet. On these sites it's one of those questions that is to be answered up front.

Being open for discussion does not mean compromise of beliefs.

God bless!

teach_ib

View Profile
MLB Playoffs
Posted : 30 Oct, 2013 08:54 PM

:yay::rocknroll::yay::rocknroll::yay::rocknroll::yay::rocknroll::yay:

:applause::applause::excited::excited::applause::applause::applause:

:peace::peace::dancingp::dancingp::peace::peace::dancingp::dancingp::peace::peace:

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

:party::party::party::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::party::party::party::party::party:

:prayingf::prayingm::prayingf::prayingm::prayingf::prayingm:

:waving::waving::waving::rocknroll::rocknroll::rocknroll:

Page : 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22