Author Thread
OutOfStep

View Profile
Do you really have any rights?
Posted : 16 May, 2011 07:52 AM

Free will is the "right" to make our own decisions. We have that. Like in the military, you can do what you want, but you will have consequences for your actions. Do they own you? Yes. But you decide what to do. God wants a relationship. Your commanding officer, for the most part, doesn't care about that. Satan owns you when you don't make the right decisions, so its not like he has to try hard. He just needs you to pick the 2nd best answer or lower. If it was multiple choice, let's say that's 3 outta 4, and a strong number "2" answer that's close to "1". Wow. Satan has good odds for us failing. But to say God "owns" us is true. But he doesn't control us.(I am in no way comparing a commanding officer to satan, sorry y'all)

OutOfStep

View Profile
D.C. Represent!!
Posted : 16 May, 2011 07:25 AM

I am an avid fan of all that is D.C., from womens football to D.C. United. I try to go out as much as possible. Anyone else?

OutOfStep

View Profile
Language
Posted : 16 May, 2011 07:16 AM

Granted. I find myself explaining to the Deaf that "mad" doesn't always cover a word, but that English has certin subtlties that demand an eclectic vocabulary; vexed, peeved, perturbed... its all signed the same, but the emotion is added, the "intent". The size, speed, duration, and even the expressions used during the sign denote the true meaning. So if a word has meaning, who decides what that meaning is? Is it a local term? Pop and soda are two different words, yet both are understood. There's a quote I'm fond of "when I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean-neither more nor less". So who decides? I'm a little irrate because the machine on this website has censored me twice now, with no regard to context or word usage. I find censorship deplorable. Its anti-American. This country was started by people looking for freedom of expression. Its what makes our religious views able to be debated in an open forum such as this. And yet I have a soulless, mindless machine telling me that I am"wrong". That my word choice, though not banned by the FCC or negative in any way, is "banned". I see an emotocon Devil on this website, and I'm offended. But I am an adult, and I realize that even though the world is secular, I don't need to participate. God gave me a big ol' brain, and the witts to go along with it. If he was worried that life would be too much, he would've made me a bubble to go along with it. I don't mean to complain, but censorship is only a small step from fascism, and its highly un-ethical. What would we be believing if the religious scholars let their own personal hang ups with word usage influence their interpretation of the Bible? What would we believe then? Not saying that I speak only the Word of God, but that there is an over-whelming need to stick to the intent of the message and to not skew the integrity of it. I was confused; I thought society blindly nodded their head and made small aterations to the meaning of a word as it became more common in cultural usage. Take the internet, for example. How many new English words crop up daily? Who decides what they mean? And what about words who's meanings change? I'm sorry, but if we are to play the Morality Police and start deciding what other peoples word usage without any regard to context or intent, I will go throw on my Fireman Suit and start burnning the books now...

OutOfStep

View Profile
Language
Posted : 15 May, 2011 09:52 PM

What is language? How is it defined? What is considered offensive? I'm an interpreter, I spend all day analyzing 2 languages, and interpreting requires cultural adaptations to make the message not only understood, but for the impact of the intent to be properly conveyed. There is also a requirement for me to convey the message, regardless of intent, true and faithfuly. It helps that I feel no moral obligation or responsibility for what is said or signed by some of these people, but I would rather not. However, it is my job to do so, and it isn't fair to my clients that I warp what they intended by their message. That said, there are certin signs in ASL that have the same sign for many different intended messages. Some of the word choices are more appropriate then others, but its the intent that must stay faithful. So when people complain about words that are considered "right" or "wrong", it is the word that is offensive, or the intent? And if no intent is meant, how can someone complain as to word choices? As long as the FCC codes are not violated, how can someone censor another person if nothing foul was meant by what was said? I find words like "despot" and "fat" very offensive, as well as politicaly correct". I found word choices very offensive in that their intent does not match the word choice. "Fixing" your pets, "running for breast cancer". These are improper ways of talking, and I find the butchering of my native language deplorable in their common occurance and general usage. Like when someone says that another person is "bipolar". Do they really mean that person has an affliction from a chemical imbalance? Words are very powerful, and yet most times we are judeged by what we do, not what we say. So does God expectfrom us? Inquiring minds want to know.

OutOfStep

View Profile
How do you Define Dating and How do you Evaluate your Potential Partners?
Posted : 15 May, 2011 08:17 PM

"Dating" occurs when you feel you need to define what you are doing. Emotional envolvement to the point that the action, event, and/or the person themself needs an explanation.

OutOfStep

View Profile
Why smoking and Drinking?
Posted : 15 May, 2011 08:10 PM

Tobacco helped build this country. Say what you want, but it has had some positive influence in the country. Yes, my grandpa died from lung cancer, but I stand by it. I don't smoke anymore('cept funnerals) and it makes me sick smelling it. That said, it is considered more dangerous now, and less cool. Whatever, there used to be a building lovingly referred to as a Vomitorium. Wanna guess what that was about? Now we know the dangers of sucking on the third knuckle, and yet bulimia is still huge. Not in America, we are an obesse culture. I meant with models... I kid! I kid cuz I love...

OutOfStep

View Profile
Manny Pacquiao
Posted : 15 May, 2011 07:57 PM

Manny is the beast. He is a highly tuned machine, peak physical conditioning, and his skill and prowess are uncanny. God did a bang-up job when he made this one. I see nothing wrong with boxing, or martial arts. Combat sports are the ultimate test of physical conditioning, endurance, and eye/hand coordination. As one who has participated, its a good way to vent, and I have a personal respect that I in turn share for fellow fighters that can't be compared to anything outside of the ring. Its like wrestling(not Wrastlin, totally different) or brawling in hockey:its just a sport.sorry, its one of my sore spots...!

OutOfStep

View Profile
Raising the Dead.
Posted : 15 May, 2011 07:47 PM

1. Yes. My boy Daves mommas water broke when she was bout 2 1/2 months into her pregnancy with him. She carried him into this world anyways. That's hot. God made that possible, so why is the rest hard to fathom? We call them "miracles" because they seem impossible, and aren't "normal". Well, all things with Him are possible, and that's His "normal". So instead of making a big deal about it, I can safely say yes.

2. I probably have, in the throes of dispair. I never have had a good reaction to funnerals. Then again, I've been to more than most. In cased you are wondering, they are all still dead. I will keep you updated, tho...

OutOfStep

View Profile
Light speed: paradox?
Posted : 15 May, 2011 07:35 PM

There's an article about "chunneling" in OMNI? Dunno, the article itself was on alternate ways that Einstein could've been wrong. Chunneling is the theory that energy travels through matter faster than it does empty space. That said, science is mans best guess at understanding God, and that's only the Wests guess. Many people don't buy into Eastern medicine without feeling the need to involve their religious asspects, too. I don't know who's right, only that I take my medical and scientific advice from smarter people who at least have an idea.

OutOfStep

View Profile
Punk/Ska/Hardcore?
Posted : 15 May, 2011 06:34 PM

Anyone? My dad is a music pastor, moms is a music minister. Majority of christian music is monotonous, repetitive, and sappy. I need more, and have seen many amazing christian bands in my life that defy the Sunday grind. Am I alone on this island of a website?

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9