Author Thread: SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT ON THE USE OF THE TERM “FATHER”
LittleDavid

View Profile
History
SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT ON THE USE OF THE TERM “FATHER”
Posted : 8 Dec, 2019 01:05 AM

In response to Prophetic 7744’s continued abuse of scripture, I’m introducing an article from “Got Questions” that more fully explains what Jesus truly meant by “do not call any man father...”

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2019 01:11 AM

From

Got Questions

Did Jesus mean that we should never refer to our earthly father as “father” (Matthew 23:9)?

Is it wrong for Catholics to refer to their priests as “father”?

Father Matthew 23:9

Question:

"Did Jesus mean that we should never refer to our earthly father as 'father' (Matthew 23:9)? Is it wrong for Catholics to refer to their priests as 'father'?"

Answer:

It would be confusing for God to give the fifth commandment in Exodus 20:12: “Honor your father and your mother” and then later restrict us from calling our earthly father “father.” Matthew 23:9 states, “And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and He is in heaven.” The context of Matthew 23:9 tells us that referring to one’s biological father as “father” is not what Jesus is speaking about.

In Matthew 23:1–12, Jesus is denouncing the Jewish scribes and Pharisees for rejecting Him as their Messiah, in particular for their hypocrisy in elevating themselves above others with titles such as “teacher” and “master.” The Jewish teachers affected those titles because they supposed that a teacher formed the man or gave him real life. They sought, therefore, to be called “father,” as if they were the source of truth rather than God. Christ taught that the source of all life and truth is God, and no one ought to seek or receive a title that properly belongs to Him. No one should be as revered as God is.

This denunciation is equally relevant today. In no way should any person look up to, follow, or elevate a human leader in any religious or church organization above Jesus Christ. Jesus is the Head of the Church, which is His body. He alone is the author of our salvation, source of comfort in difficulties, and strength to live the Christian life. He is the only One to whom our prayers should be directed. No one else has the right to say, “Look to me to meet your spiritual needs.” Jesus’ warning against calling men “father” is a caution against ostentation, pride, and hypocrisy.

Roman Catholics call their priests “father,” and the Pope is the “holy father.” Abbots take their title from the Aramaic word abba, which means “father.” This is clearly unbiblical. The priest as “father” is problematic. In the case of “holy father,” there is no doubt this title is unbiblical. No man can take on the title of “holy” anything, because only God is holy. This title gives the Pope a status that is never intended for any man on earth. Even the apostle Paul made no claim to holiness, referring to himself as the chief of sinners (1 Timothy 1:15). Although as Christians we have exchanged our sin for the righteousness of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21), holiness will not be attained until we are in heaven and have left the last vestiges of our sin natures behind. Until then, the Pope has no more holiness than the average Christian and is not entitled to be called “holy father.”

What about the apostle Paul’s reference to “our father Abraham” and his implication that he himself is a father to Timothy and Titus? When Paul refers to Abraham as “our father” in Romans 4:12, he is not making the same mistake as the Pharisees. Paul is saying that the promise that saves us was first given to Abraham who in faith believed. Paul is pointing out that God began His plan of redemption of all nations with Abraham and that Abraham is the model of justification by faith, apart from the Law (verse 3). Paul is not raising Abraham to God’s level or assigning an official title to Abraham but merely acknowledging his faith. Abraham is the metaphorical “father” of all who believe in Christ in the sense that he is the prototype of faith.

When Paul calls Timothy and Titus his “sons” (see 1 Timothy 1:2, 18; 2 Timothy 1:2; and Titus 1:4), he is merely stating that he was a father figure to those whom he taught the gospel to. Paul committed himself to teaching, correcting, and training his protégés. He was more than a teacher to Timothy and Titus; he was like a father because he loved them so much and was a guide to them in their ministries. Paul was not putting himself in the place of God, and he never required anyone to call him “father.” In referring to Timothy and Titus as his children, Paul was expressing his love for them. Paul cared for them as a father loves his children and seeks their welfare.

Just as there is nothing wrong with using the word father metaphorically, there is nothing wrong with calling our earthly parents “father” and “mother.” In doing so we are not giving our parents an elevated title or position that belongs only to God. Our earthly parents are worthy of honor, and we are to honor our parents daily in the spirit of Exodus 20:12, Matthew 15:4, and Ephesians 6:1–3.

Recommended Resources: Reasoning from the Scriptures with Catholics by Ron Rhodes

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2019 01:16 AM

I highly recommend Ron Rhodes books and articles!

So much false teaching has fascinated the world as evidenced on this forum and all of it needs to be answered by getting back to the Word of God

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2019 01:18 AM

Matthew 7:15

Jesus says:

"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2019 01:32 AM

Sadly,

many undiscerning Christians who refuse to obey scripture, never learn how to test what they hear and become prey to false teaching,

Some Christians or false “Christians” even teach false doctrines unwittingly but inexcusably.

Inexcusably because—-We are warned throughout the Bible MANY many times, from beginning to end, to “watch out for false teaching” —- lest we are deceived !!

False teaching is eternally devastatingly dangerous because it leads ultimately to eternal hell for unbelievers and at the very least for a Christian, serous loss of reward in heaven

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2019 06:04 AM

Matthew 23:9: Jesus says, "Do not call anyone on earth **FATHER**, for you have **ONE FATHER** and He is in heaven!!"

It is true that some wrongly called Jesus the Everlasting Father as per Isaiah 9:6 but Jesus was not the Everlasting Father or **CO-EQUAL** with the **EVERLASTING FATHER** and would never want to be called the **EVERLASTING FATHER**.

The Roman Catholic Church and littlestdavid wrongly claim that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is completely **CO-EQUAL** WITH THE FATHER**???

Jon 1:18: No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is Himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made Him known!

Dueteronomy 18:17-19: The Lord said to Moses, "I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put My words in His mouth. He will tell them everything I command Him. I Myself will call to account anyone who does not listen to My words that the Prophet speaks in My name!"

John 14:23,24, 28: Jesus says, "Anyone who loves Me will obey My teaching, My Father will love them and We will come too them an make our home with them. Anyone who does not love Me will not obey My teaching. These words you hear are not My own, **THEY BELONG TO THE FATHER WHO SENT ME**.... You have heard Me say, 'I am going away and am coming back to you.' If you loved Me, you would be glad I am going to the **FATHER** , for the **FATHER IS GREATER THAN I!"

Revelation 1:1: The Revelation from Jesus Christ which God {The **FATHER**} gave Him to show His servants which must take place!

John 17:17: Jesus prayed to His **FATHER**, "Sanctify them by the Truth, **YOUR WORD** IS TRUTH**!!

Jesus taught us to only **PRAY TO GOD THE FATHER**:

Matthew 5:6-15: Jesus says, "When you pray, go into your room, close the door and **PRAY TO YOUR FATHER**, who is unseen. Then your **FATHER**, who sees what is done in secret, will **REWARD YOU**. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your **FATHER** knows what you need before you ask Him. This the is how you should pray: 'Our **FATHER** in heaven, hallowed be your name, **YOUR KINGDOM COME** {See I Corinthians 15:22-24 below}, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts {sins}, as we forgive our debtors.... For if you forgive other people who sin against you, your heavenly **FATHER** will also forgive you. but if you do not forgive others their sins, your **FATHER** will not forgive your sins'!"

Luke 11:1-4: One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When He finished, one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray. Jesus said to them, "When you pray, say: "**FATHER**, hallowed be your name, **YOUR KINGDOM COME** Give us each day our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, for we forgive everyone who sins against us!'"

I Corinthians 15:22-24: For as in Adam all die , so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in turn, Christ, the Firstfruits, then, when He comes those who belong to Him. Then the end will come when He hands over the **KINGDOM TO GOD THE **FATHER**!

John 6:37,39,44,65: Jesus says, "**ALL THAT THE **FATHER** GIVES ME** will come to Me, and whoever comes to Me I will **NEVER** drive away... And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that I shall **LOSE NONE** of all that **HE HAS GIVEN ME**, but raise them up at the Last Day.... No one can come to Me **UNLESS THE **FATHER**WHO SENT ME DRAWS HIM**, and I will raise him up at the Last Day!!... No one can come to Me **UNLESS THE **FATHER** HAS ENABLED THEM**!!"

Not every one who says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the **WILL OF MY FATHER** who is in heaven." (Matthew 7:21)

Luke 22:42: Jesus says, **FATHER**, if you are willing, take this cup from Me; yet not My will, but **YOUR WILL BE DONE!!"

The Roman Catholic Church and littlestdavid sinfully claim that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is completely **CO-EQUAL** WITH GOD THE FATHER**???

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2019 10:21 AM

Pinocchio the False prophetic Richard often claims the teaching of the Bible is “sinful” because it doesn’t agree with him.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2019 10:41 AM

Matthew 23:9: Jesus says, "Do not call anyone on earth **FATHER**, for you have **ONE FATHER** and He is in heaven!!"

It is true that some wrongly called Jesus the Everlasting Father as per Isaiah 9:6 but Jesus was not the Everlasting Father or **CO-EQUAL** with the **EVERLASTING FATHER** and would never want to be called the **EVERLASTING FATHER**.

The Roman Catholic Church and littlestdavid wrongly claim that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is completely **CO-EQUAL** WITH THE FATHER**???

Jon 1:18: No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is Himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made Him known!

Dueteronomy 18:17-19: The Lord said to Moses, "I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put My words in His mouth. He will tell them everything I command Him. I Myself will call to account anyone who does not listen to My words that the Prophet speaks in My name!"

John 14:23,24, 28: Jesus says, "Anyone who loves Me will obey My teaching, My Father will love them and We will come too them an make our home with them. Anyone who does not love Me will not obey My teaching. These words you hear are not My own, **THEY BELONG TO THE FATHER WHO SENT ME**.... You have heard Me say, 'I am going away and am coming back to you.' If you loved Me, you would be glad I am going to the **FATHER** , for the **FATHER IS GREATER THAN I!"

Revelation 1:1: The Revelation from Jesus Christ which God {The **FATHER**} **GAVE HIM** to show His servants which must take place!

John 17:17: Jesus prayed to His **FATHER**, "Sanctify them by the Truth, **YOUR WORD** IS TRUTH**!!

Matthew 5:6-15: Jesus says, "When you pray, go into your room, close the door and **PRAY TO YOUR FATHER**, who is unseen. Then your **FATHER**, who sees what is done in secret, will **REWARD YOU**. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your **FATHER** knows what you need before you ask Him. This the is how you should pray: 'Our **FATHER** in heaven, hallowed be your name, **YOUR KINGDOM COME** {See I Corinthians 15:22-24 below}, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts {sins}, as we forgive our debtors.... For if you forgive other people who sin against you, your heavenly **FATHER** will also forgive you. but if you do not forgive others their sins, your **FATHER** will not forgive your sins'!"

Luke 11:1-4: One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When He finished, one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray. Jesus said to them, "When you pray, say: "**FATHER**, hallowed be your name, **YOUR KINGDOM COME** Give us each day our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, for we forgive everyone who sins against us!'" I Corinthians 15:22-24: For as in Adam all die , so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in turn, Christ, the Firstfruits, then, when He comes those who belong to Him. Then the end will come when He hands over the **KINGDOM TO GOD THE **FATHER**!

John 6:37,39,44,65: Jesus says, "**ALL THAT THE **FATHER** GIVES ME** will come to Me, and whoever comes to Me I will **NEVER** drive away... And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that I shall **LOSE NONE** of all that **HE HAS GIVEN ME**, but raise them up at the Last Day.... No one can come to Me **UNLESS THE **FATHER**WHO SENT ME DRAWS HIM**, and I will raise him up at the Last Day!!... No one can come to Me **UNLESS THE **FATHER** HAS ENABLED THEM**!!"

Not every one who says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the **WILL OF MY FATHER** who is in heaven." (Matthew 7:21)

Luke 22:42: Jesus says, **FATHER**, if you are willing, take this cup from Me; yet not My will, but **YOUR WILL BE DONE!!"

The Roman Catholic Church and littlestdavid sinfully claim that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is completely **CO-EQUAL** WITH GOD THE FATHER**???

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2019 01:10 PM

The Bible clearly teaches that all 3 members of the Godhead—the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are all co-equal.

So false prophetic Richard, the Pinocchio prophet is fighting against God, not me or the Catholic Church but against God himself. In effect calling God a liar

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2019 01:33 PM

The Roman Catholic Church and littlestdavid wrongly claim that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is completely **CO-EQUAL** WITH GOD THE FATHER**???

Revelation 1:1: The Revelation from Jesus Christ which God {The **FATHER**} **GAVE HIM** to show His servants which must take place!

Luke 11:1-4: One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When He finished, one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray. Jesus said to them, "When you pray, say: "**FATHER**, hallowed be your name, **YOUR KINGDOM COME** Give us each day our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, for we forgive everyone who sins against us!'"

I Corinthians 15:22-24: For as in Adam all die , so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in turn, Christ, the Firstfruits, then, when He comes those who belong to Him. Then the end will come when He hands over the **KINGDOM TO GOD THE **FATHER**!

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Dec, 2019 12:57 AM

"The Bible clearly teaches that all 3 members of the Godhead—the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are all co-equal."

The Bible does NOT "clearly" teach the trinity doctrine. The trinity doctrine is the product of syncretised paganism and christianity. Such people come to the Text biased, utilizing systematic theology and the application of inerrancy to create a doctrine never explicitly taught by Jesus. Going beyond the teachings of Jesus they then attempt to steal the salvation offered by the Messiah and condemn others to to eternal torment in flames of fire for not believing in their created doctrine of the trinity.

The Messiah clearly taught the way to salvation. If mandatory belief in the doctrine of trinity was never part of Messiahs teachings, then whose teaching is it?

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7