Author Thread
Linnie41

View Profile
I don't get the "fear" God thing....
Posted : 6 Sep, 2009 06:32 PM

You're right, we shouldn't fear God. And when the Bible speaks of a believer's fear of God, it's not always talking about the "be scared" type of fear. It's speaking of having reverence and awe for God. Look at Hebrews 12:28-29: �Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire." Basically, fearing God means we have such respect for him that it impacts the way we live. Fear of God is respect, obedience, reverence and awe. Of course, we should fear His judgment on sin, but remember that He's our Father. On earth, we may fear our parents if we are disobedient, because there will be repercussions for our actions. It's the same with God - it doesn't mean he doesn't love us anymore, it means we've been bad - just like a little kid. He doesn't correct us to be mean, He does it out of love to bring us back to the right path - just like a parent.

Hope this helps.

Linnie41

View Profile
My suggestion to & for the site...
Posted : 5 Sep, 2009 11:41 PM

"You are not alone" by Sanctus Real. I have my song picked, let's get it going! Great idea!

Linnie41

View Profile
Need some advise.
Posted : 5 Sep, 2009 11:37 PM

I don't think you'll have to worry about that. I think your only problem is you're that you're shy and men probably don't know how to approach you. I read your profile - you're a pretty girl, you're well spoken, know what you want, you're positive, in college, in love with God...I don't think you'll have to worry about never getting asked out. I think you'll be one of the few people in this world that meets the love of her life, marries, and is with him until death do you part. No baggage from previous relationships, and old enough to know how to separate your heart from your head. Consider yourself very blessed - God is watching out for you.

Lynn

Linnie41

View Profile
What are mind games?
Posted : 4 Sep, 2009 10:30 PM

Well, the last person I met on here was a "player" so to speak. He led me to believe that I was the only person he was talking to (told me he was still here for the chat forums), we had met in person, hit it off great and talked daily on the phone - he called me things like sweetie, cutie...terms of endearment. Told me he missed me, asked when we would see each other again, etc. etc. I then found out that not only was he still talking to other women, but had gone out with one (probably more) of them. His excuse was he had decided we lived too far apart - we're three hours apart, which really isn't that far for this site. Nice of him to let me in on it. And...I had no clue this was coming. I'll keep checking this post, though - cause I really don't want this to happen again. :-(

Linnie41

View Profile
What are mind games?
Posted : 4 Sep, 2009 11:38 AM

The actual definition of mind game is: "passive aggressive behavior used specifically to demoralize or empower the thinking subject, often making the aggressor look superior."

So yes, it can be a player.

Linnie41

View Profile
Giving out persnal information
Posted : 3 Sep, 2009 07:44 PM

I too sign my name at the bottom of a message. If someone hasn't told me their first name, it's usually an oversight, and they say "oops!" when I ask for it. Lol

I wouldn't hesitate at all to ask for their first name if they haven't included it.

Linnie41

View Profile
Good Morning, Lord
Posted : 3 Sep, 2009 03:38 AM

Good morning, Lord.

Today I'm going to try something different.

I'm going to let you handle my day completely.

You lead, and I'll walk behind you, holding your hand.

When the kids decide to paint the tablecloth with syrup,

I'll look at you, see you grinning and chuckling -

and I'll shake off the annoyance and giggle, too.

When I'm driving to work and am slowed up in traffic,

I'll watch you relax and stretch your arm across the back of the seat,

and look at the beautiful cloud formation you made just for me.

When my computer locks up and I can't finish my report,

I'll hear you whispering in my ear that earthly things sometimes fail,

but your love never does.

When I'm at lunch and the waitress makes mistake after mistake,

I'll watch you look at her with loving eyes,

and I'll leave her an extra big tip - cause I've had those days, too.

When I get home from work and just want to sit in front of the TV,

I'll see you sitting beside me, wanting to talk -

so I'll grab my Bible instead.

When I'm getting ready for bed and start critiquing my body,

I'll hear you telling me how perfect I am - just the way I am -

and that you know the number of hairs on my head.

When I lay down for the night and am drifting to sleep,

I'll feel you sit next to me, stroking my hair -

and know you'll still be there in the morning.

Linnie41

View Profile
To Drink or not to Drink?
Posted : 3 Sep, 2009 02:52 AM

I think we're entering another issue: the maturity of the Christian. The passage is, "Do not cause a brother to stumble." If someone is mature in Christ, seeing you drink a glass of wine (although they don't agree with it) probably isn't going to hurt their relationship with Christ or send them into a downward spiral away from God. The only thing that might happen is you would be judged by them - which is wrong according the the other passage mentioned.

However, if you are seen drinking by someone new in Christ, or possibly a more mature Christian that has an issue with drinking (perhaps a recovering alcoholic or someone that is still suffering from an alcohol related auto accident - just examples) then it could cause them to become weak. In that case, you are causing your brother to stumble.

The only problem is, we generally don't know everyone in our church well enough to know who we could or couldn't have a glass of wine in front of without it causing them weakness. Therefore, it's very important to be mindful of the setting and place you are in when you choose to drink.

Remember, it's not about our rights as Christians. It's about bringing people closer to God and loving them, even when it means giving of ourselves.

Blessings!

Lynn

Linnie41

View Profile
Posted : 2 Sep, 2009 07:20 PM

Thanks, Zoe! Good to be back! (Well, ya know...ha ha)

Linnie41

View Profile
Posted : 2 Sep, 2009 04:11 PM

I think what Walter was trying to get across here was our responsibility to not make another stumble. If we attend a church where drinking in ANY form is frowned upon (I agree, drinking is fine, getting drunk is not) we should refrain from drinking in a public setting where we might be seen by other members of our church. If we choose to have a glass of wine at home, at a friends house, or somewhere we know it won't offend anyone there, that's fine. But our first thought when taking any action should be, "Will this make another stumble in their walk with Christ?" We shouldn't stick with what WE believe and forget how anyone else feels about it.

:)

Blessings,

Lynn

Page : 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19