Author Thread
Linnie41

View Profile
PLEASE help me understand something...
Posted : 26 Sep, 2009 01:52 AM

Okay Miami, I know I'm not a guy, but I get the same "How are you" messages, or worse yet, "Hi." That's it. "Hi."

To give some of the guys that might read this an example of what they could write, I looked at your profile. It was easy, because you left so many open doors for conversation.

1.) So you're a teacher? What subject do you teach?

2.) I see you like adventures - ever gone scuba diving? (Or some sport the guy might be into)

3.) I read a great book on stargazing/hiking/camping/clouds/thunderstorms (pick one), it's called __________. Have you heard of it?

4.) I also love photography. If 70% of your pics are nature related, what were the other 30% taken of?

5.) I see from your profile you love music - who's your favorite band? What concerts have you been to?

You all get the drift. These took two minutes to come up with. Find ANYTHING in the profile to ask about or discuss to open up a line of conversation. It's really not that hard.

Then again, I talk so much I could get one of the Queen's guards to say, "Would you shut UP already?!?!" Lol

Blessings,

Lynn

Linnie41

View Profile
Is drinking a SIN?
Posted : 25 Sep, 2009 04:48 PM

Poochetteek, I like you already and welcome to the forums! You're absolutely right!

Linnie41

View Profile
Nice guys finish first
Posted : 25 Sep, 2009 12:34 PM

W00T!!

Linnie41

View Profile
TO LADIES How to handle requests for personal information
Posted : 25 Sep, 2009 12:21 AM

It's alright - we all have those moments where we hit ourselves in the head like in the V-8 commercials. Lol

Linnie41

View Profile
Growth Spurt
Posted : 24 Sep, 2009 06:36 PM

Awww, that was sweet, Steven, thank you! :-)

Linnie41

View Profile
Seventh-day Adventists: Cult or Christian?
Posted : 24 Sep, 2009 05:55 PM

I just read some of Kirkpatrick and Matsis sermons from GreatControversy.org. It amazed me how they intertwined the Bible with teachings by Ellen G. White and prefaced these teachings with phrases like: "Heaven gives warning" or The Servant of the Lord says" followed by something SHE wrote. And these aren't old sermons that are out of date - these are from less than a week ago. In some places a Bible passage was quoted, directly followed by an Ellen writing - as if her writings were just as important as scripture!! They also refer to her by using the word "Inspiration," as in "Inspiration tells us..."

Incredible.

The Bible is a complete work. It stands alone.

Linnie41

View Profile
Growth Spurt
Posted : 24 Sep, 2009 12:46 PM

I have a ten year old son who is getting, well, chunky. (He's not at all obese, he's just got a couple rolls when he sits down. lol) He's 5'5 and weighs around 140 - wears a size 18 boys jeans, and is often mistaken for being fourteen to fifteen years old. He has commented on his weight in the past and I've told him not to worry about it, that he's going to hit a growth spurt and he's going to need that extra weight (the men in our family are 6'2 - 6'6) or he's going to end up really tall and very skinny.

Recently, a friend from church (an adult male) has told him a few times that he needs to lose some weight - that he's getting "fat." (Of course, I asked him not to say that to my son anymore - in a polite way). However, this stuck in my son's head and now it's a constant question of "when will I hit the growth spurt?" This also has me wondering: am I right in what I'm telling my son? He's a healthy boy, outside constantly, eats primarily healthy foods (he's a kid, yeah, he does have candy and chips once in awhile, too), and is very active. He's just got some added weight right now. Am I correct in telling him that's he's going to grow very soon and very fast? And when does this "spurt" usually hit? (He has been complaining the last month or so about his legs and arms being achey sometimes - is this the start of it?)

Thanks, guys (and any girls with experience in this!)

Linnie41

View Profile
Is drinking a SIN?
Posted : 23 Sep, 2009 07:13 PM

No, drinking is not a sin. There are several passages in the Bible that speak of drinking wine - the key is not to get into drunkenness. We also have to remember that the wine in the Bible was nothing compared to what we have today. It was much less potent than the alcohol that's around now.

God told his people to enjoy wine at the yearly festivals (Deut. 14:26). God also commanded the Levitical priests to include in the sacrifices a portion of wine (yayin) as a drink offering (Ex. 29:40). The Bible says that God gave wine to make men glad (Ps. 104:15) Also, Jesus drank wine. But he did it as all the other Jews did in his day - in moderation. It was diluted with water and was one of the main beverages in those days.

However, the Bible also tells us not to cause someone to stumble. If we're in a situation where drinking would bother someone, we should abstain.

Linnie41

View Profile
WHAT'S INSIDE YOUR PURSE?/BAG?
Posted : 23 Sep, 2009 06:56 PM

Let's see....wallet, checkbook, sunglasses, reading glasses (yep, I'm old), lip balm, tweezers, phone, a couple mini bags of MnM's (I eat them in church - I know, I'm terrible), an unmailed rebate form from Alltel, some loose change, and gum.

Thanks for getting me to look - I really need to get that form mailed. :)

Linnie41

View Profile
TO LADIES How to handle requests for personal information
Posted : 23 Sep, 2009 06:49 PM

No secret code - here's an example:

Joe's profile reads "Looking for vegetarian woman who loves watching movies from the 30's."

My profile reads "I love steak and really like movies from the 90's."

Joe contacts me anyway. Huh?? That's what we were talking about. We clearly are not what they're looking for, but they choose to "want to get to know us and see where it leads" anyway.

Page : 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15