Author Thread
JamesEG

View Profile
Is a passionate kiss 'fornication'?🤔 Why?... or Why not?
Posted : 20 Jul, 2022 10:47 AM

Thanks, AQuietLifeWanted. Enjoy God's blessings! James

JamesEG

View Profile
How many?
Posted : 18 Jul, 2022 12:43 PM

True, but many years ago I took a few piano lessons and tired of it. And so far I haven't felt led to retry lessons on any instrument.

But who knows what the future holds?

JamesEG

View Profile
Is a passionate kiss 'fornication'?🤔 Why?... or Why not?
Posted : 18 Jul, 2022 12:39 PM

I think it's best not to kiss until one is married, after the minister pronounces a couple man and wife, and then states the husband may kiss the bride.

Jesus in Matthew 5:28 states that looking at a woman lustfully is committing adultery.

I would believe a passionate kiss is worse than just looking, so that would make a passionate kiss fornication, or adultery if married.

But a passionate kiss is not as bad as actual sexual intercourse. Some sins are worse than others, as Jesus made clear in John 19:11 when speaking to PIlate.

JamesEG

View Profile
How many?
Posted : 10 Jul, 2022 11:19 AM

Personally, I confess I can't play any musical instrument, and listening to music is a sideline, rather than a centerpiece. I do have an old ukulele that I received as a gift and never learned to play.

I do especially like Christmas music in the background during the season though.

JamesEG

View Profile
dating online
Posted : 2 May, 2022 10:47 AM

I guess it's a matter of one's perspective.

Personally, I would think that if another person and I mutually agreed to only exchange male-female relationship messages with one another online and with no one else, that it could be called an online dating relationship.

But personally, I would not rush into that type of relationship. I'd prefer to get to know another person well over a period of weeks and months and then preferably meet in person before making that kind of exclusive commitment.

I think it's important that you and whomever you are exchanging those "exclusive" messages with are both in agreement on the nature of the relationship.

And as another poster indicated, it's hard to verify the other person is also "exclusively" communicating with you.

I hope this helps. But it's just my opinion, not God's word.

JamesEG

View Profile
With the world... families... culture... moral depravity... confusion and moral decline within 'the church' --- if you could wake tomorrow and be 15 again, would you choose to do so?
Posted : 12 Apr, 2022 11:03 AM

I agree that the challenges and temptations facing young people today exceed those I faced. But the opportunities they have in some ways exceed mine too.

Facebook provides a way to keep in contact with persons (including childhood friends) who have moved away. Cell phones make it easier to keep in contact with friends and relatives. The air is cleaner to breathe than when leaded gasoline was in use. Widespread use of air conditioning, computers, microwave ovens, etc., are marvelous advances. Supermarkets offer a wider variety of products.

Career opportunities have come a long way too.

Fewer persons die in wars than when I grew up during the Vietnam War era.

Each generation faces different challenges and opportunities. I wonder what it was like for my grandparents and great grandparents during the flu pandemic in the early 20th century, World War I, the Great Depression, World War II, etc.

JamesEG

View Profile
Peace... why does it feel so elusive? If you'd care to share your thoughts, l welcome the chance to hear what you think.
Posted : 11 Apr, 2022 08:46 AM

Personally, I feel at peace most of the time. I am blessed with two jobs I love, wonderful friends, neighbors, and relatives. And I am happy and healthy, blessed immeasurably by God with all the basic necessities of life.

Looking back, often the times I was not at peace were when I was not putting God first, and thus not generating the internal peace that God offers freely.

On a different level, that of world peace, freedom from war and violent conflict, we humans need to seek to settle differences fairly and peacefully under God's leadership instead of behaving with greed and selfishness. Since World War II I feel much progress has been made in this regard, but such peace remains elusive, as daily news stories indicate. We still don't seek to discern and follow God's leading enough. We still don't seek to listen enough to the views of of others and to seek fairness rather than our own desires.

JamesEG

View Profile
With the world... families... culture... moral depravity... confusion and moral decline within 'the church' --- if you could wake tomorrow and be 15 again, would you choose to do so?
Posted : 11 Apr, 2022 08:39 AM

AQuietLifeWanted, I often feel that reflecting on hypothetical things that cannot come to pass is not the best use of time.

But in answer to your question, if I could be 15 again and still retain the kowledge and wisdom I've gained in the years since I was 15, I think it would be marvelous.

If I had known when I was 15 what I know now, I'm confident my years since 15 could have been more productive and effective.

For example, I would have followed my passion more in choosing my college major.

JamesEG

View Profile
Looking at the idea of a 'concept' as: 1) 'individual understandings', (which most often is based on preconceived ideas and assumptions), versus 2) God's hopes and expectations towards us in seeking knowledge of Him, and His (actual) Truth, in light of His Concepts, put forth in the bible, as He defines them.
Posted : 5 Apr, 2022 11:02 AM

AQuietLifeWanted, thanks for detailing that personal experience of a conversation with a pastor. His inability or unwillingness to share a personal opinion on the issue is a bit disconcerting. But at least he acknowledged not having considered the issue.

JamesEG

View Profile
Looking at the idea of a 'concept' as: 1) 'individual understandings', (which most often is based on preconceived ideas and assumptions), versus 2) God's hopes and expectations towards us in seeking knowledge of Him, and His (actual) Truth, in light of His Concepts, put forth in the bible, as He defines them.
Posted : 4 Apr, 2022 09:51 AM

Thanks, AQuietLifeWanted.

It would be great if many more Christians who claim the Bible is the word of God took time to read it entirely.

When read prayerfully and interpreted properly, the Bible is a magnificent resource. It can inspire us to live better lives that make ourselves, others, and the world a better place.

As for ordained ministers: when I've asked ordained ministers the reasons for their beliefs, they sometimes provide reasons. But often these reasons are neither logical, nor well-reasoned. It's a bad reflection on Christianity to have so much division and so many denominations.

In many cases I suspect so-called preachers themselves don't believe the views they espouse. But they espouse them to retain the support of deacons, elders, church members, etc.,-- persons that provide the monetary and other support that allows them to keep their jobs. Still, many do provide useful service that benefits large numbers of persons. And the burnout rate among ordained ministers is extremely high.

Ultimately, all any of us can do is seek to prayerfully do our best and trust God for the rest.

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10