Author Thread
JamesEG

View Profile
Are you really serious on this site?
Posted : 12 Jul, 2016 09:08 PM

MissyMe40Plus, there is a significant amount of wisdom in your comment, as well as in your follow-up comment later. I share another commenter's view on the apparently typo regarding the day of your post. And if you are off the site, you may not read my reply, but maybe it will benefit someone else.

Persons need to put God, the highest righteous authority, first. And when necessary, seek help from appropriate professional counselors, ministers, friends, etc., rather than getting into the wrong relationships or seeking to make a virtual stranger a counselor.

And, in most cases when a divorce occurs, I think there is at least a bit of blame on both sides. If nothing else, the least guilty party made a mistake by rushing into marriage with someone they knew not well. It's good to know a person's attitudes about finances, having and raising children, relocation, morals, etc., as well as having and/or establishing several common interests before marriage.

It would be wonderful if persons took time to get to know one another as friends, develop a relationship slowly, and make romance the caboose rather than the engine.

Once married, it would be great if persons communicated openly and honesty with one another, sought to settle differences fairly, and to seek counseling from appropriate unbiased sources when necessary, in addition to praying together (and individually).

But there are no perfect people, and no one perfect obeys God's perfect direction.

JamesEG

View Profile
Singleness in Church
Posted : 6 Apr, 2016 04:58 PM

Hi NoSelfie,

You make an excellent point about the focus of many churches upon families and children.

One possible solution is to attend a large church that has a singles group. If your town doesn't have such a church, the nearest large town/city probably has at least one church that includes a singles Sunday School class and activities for single adults, even singles in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and beyond.

However, as one who has never married and has no children and am in my 50s, I know that in this age group there are relatively few singles who have never married and lack children. While I can and do develop friendships with other singles who are divorced and/or have children I know it is nice to have single friends who have never married and don't have children.

I meet this need by keeping in contact with friends from schools I attended, etc., who remain single. Though we now live in different towns, we remain friends via online contact, etc., and occasionally meet. Perhaps you have one or more good friends from high school, college, work, a former job, a former town, etc., who remain single to keep in contact with.

I hope my suggestions are helpful for you, and I pray for God's perfect will for you in your search.

If you follow God's calling, I know that God can and will lead you in the right direction, whatever that may be. Romans 8:28 might be a good verse to keep in mind.

Page : 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11