Author Thread
Elisa

View Profile
Flirts with waitress
Posted : 7 Feb, 2011 09:16 PM

It would depend on the man. I have known guys who flirt as naturally as they breathe. They could no more stop flirting than they could give up oxygen. However, they can also flirt in such a way that everyone knows where their heart belongs. That I could handle.

The guy who flirts and pursues ... just keep on going cause I am gone.

Elisa

View Profile
chocolate
Posted : 7 Feb, 2011 09:13 PM

Dennis,

Do you have a death wish honey? There is a reason gentlemen give chocolate to ladies. Grin, it makes us nice. So....the opposite would be........?

Blessings,

Elisa

Elisa

View Profile
Weight Loss God's Way Dr. Frank Smoot
Posted : 7 Feb, 2011 08:53 AM

BeachyBran,

A friend just reminded me of that passage last week. We are not other people and so are not to compare ourselves. That is so much easier said than done though. However, it is such a blessing to know our Lord made us all special and unique and that we don't have to try and be what we are not. Currently, I am reading a book called Now, discover your strengths by Buckingham and Clifton. They propose that rather than working on weaknesses we should focus on making our strengths even stronger. It is the focus. Rather than viewing ourselves from a deficit perspective to work from a value added perspective.

Thank you for the further reminder of not comparing. :)

Blessings,

Elisa

Elisa

View Profile
the right way??
Posted : 6 Feb, 2011 05:17 PM

the old axiom, act in haste, repent in leisure comes to mind. take your time and pray.

Elisa

View Profile
How dare you?
Posted : 3 Feb, 2011 08:39 PM

Not sure if it was daring or just plain stupid.

I told a local drug ring leader (was living in Central America at the time) to get off my school's property and not back or else. If he came near my kids (students) again, he would suffer my wrath. Not a clue what or else or my wrath would involve. Thankfully he left and did not come back.

Elisa

View Profile
Where's the screwdriver?
Posted : 3 Feb, 2011 08:33 PM

Well, I prefer to hire someone to do it. However, each time I get a quote on something, I end up hitting the internet or the library because of sticker shock. I can replace a toilet or a sink, put in ceiling fans and wire a lamp. I cannot put in a breaker box, darn it all. I keep reading about, but just can't quite figure it out. In the past few years, I have also learned to replace windows, replace window panes, put up gutters, and rekey a lock. Cars....nope, no way. I cant afford to mess it up or leave it half done, or even stretch out the time as I figure it out. A handy person around the house would be fabulous. Would love to hand over maintenance.

Elisa

View Profile
Conversions?
Posted : 2 Feb, 2011 03:59 AM

I can's speak about other languages (due to ignorance). However, in Spanish, there is a LOT of debate concerning which translation of the Bible is more valid/best/etc.

My Bible is actually bilingual. It has Spanish on one page and English on the other. Interestingly, phrases in English that are ambiguous due to language are sometimes crystal clear in Spanish.

My Russian Bible exhibits an even greater level of specificity in the language. However, the English allows for more personal interpretation. That is mainly because English has so many meanings that can be derived from the same sentence or phrase. Other languages do not. Russian is extremely precise and demonstrates a great deal of precision. This is the reason the language is often used for research.

Sparrow was correct on translations. To translate a text word for word is to risk losing the meaning entirely. When sentences or phrases are translated for meaning, the context and interpretation has then passed through a person. That person now has flavored the text through their interpretation and subsequent translation. What is fascinating is that even with all f this, the Bible still essentially says the same thing in all the languages.

The reason that is so amazing is that if the same text is translated by several people, the results often resemble the old game of telephone. A message passed from one person to the next is essentially incomprehensible or bears little relation to the original message when the last person says what they heard. Each person interpreted the message personally and that changed it just a touch. By the end, all those little changes are really amplified.

When considering the Bible, with all the "touches" and cultural differences between languages, it is truly amazing that the documents even slightly resemble each other. God is the only one who could have pulled that off.

So, as to which version of the English Bible is better, my opinion is whichever one you will read, study, and use to know our Lord better.

Elisa

View Profile
Advice Much Appreciated
Posted : 1 Feb, 2011 06:39 PM

Hi Lisa,

Someone suggested searching for everyone near me. After trying this and finding no one in the area, I tried a simple search of all the guys on the site. It was a real eye-opener. That information brought everything into focus.

Hang in there and blessings,

Elisa

Elisa

View Profile
ROSES
Posted : 31 Jan, 2011 06:15 PM

Roses have thorns

Violets have petals

For our sins the lamb was shorn

But through it all showed his metal

Elisa

View Profile
What is true love and how to know when we find it.
Posted : 26 Jan, 2011 08:12 PM

Typo Chevy? Did you not mean to type: Conditioned Two? :)

Page : 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11