Author Thread
Elisa

View Profile
Gender-inclusive?
Posted : 27 Feb, 2011 06:10 PM

Hmmmm, thinking that calling God it isn't the best of choices. Shrug, I would get offended if called it and guessing God might too.

Thanks for bringing that up Cobbler. I hadn't thought of that.

As for languages...in Spanish, if there are a thousand women, the feminine pronouns and adjectives are used to discuss and describe. If the number is 1001 and the one happens to be male, the whole thing shifts to masculine pronouns and descriptives.

My take on that has always been that the feminine is reserved for groups that are exclusively female. Nobody seems much worried about if a group is exclusively male or is mixed.

There are some neutral words and terms...but these are not used frequently in reference to a person. I have heard them used when the sex of the person was uncertain. So...there you have it.

Elisa

View Profile
CottonTail
Posted : 27 Feb, 2011 05:59 PM

I am rather at a loss as to why this is an either or issue. I freely admit to buying a couple of precious little ones new dresses and bonnets every year. They also participate in Easter Egg hunts. I could give you quite a few educational reasons egg huntin actually facilitates development, but this is not a pedagogical forum. The children also receive a bit of candy in the basket they will be using on the hunt.

As for the religious education, that is being attended to as well. They are surrounded by a family that is raising them in the church. Well, actually, we have multiple denominations in the family so that would actually be churches in addition to their home church.

If the idea is to focus exclusively on religious studies, how many parents with this belief ensure that television and movies are devoted solely to Christian education? Dora the Explorer is not real either, and yet so many parents have that on their TVs. Do we really believe the children watching her will grow up and be somehow warped because of this fictional character? Can children not be allowed a time for flights of fancy and imagination?

Elisa

View Profile
i miss you, i cant lose you now
Posted : 26 Feb, 2011 03:49 PM

EDW...you are soooo incredibly handsome. Honey child, you are just too precious.

(musing to self, wonder if that is enough buttering up?)

So dumpling, I have this lil ole student loan that is just driving me crazy. Now don't you want to be the big strong man and save me?

Don't share this message with your fiance unless you want her to laugh.

Now seriously....I went into the wrong field. Education costs a fortune and doesn't pay so great (unless you count the smiles and hugs, then we are the highest paid folks in the world). Hmmmm, spammer for a career choice? What do y'all think?

Yeah, me neither. Think I will stick with the hugs and smiles. Huge sigh. Oh well. It was a thought.

Elisa

View Profile
Gender-inclusive?
Posted : 26 Feb, 2011 03:33 PM

I figure God is in control still. Yes, we have free will, but God is still God. We go messing around with his words too much, he will put a stop to it. As for the gender/sex issue.....good grief. That is my whole feeling. We have murder, rape, mayhem, kids going hungry, schools being shut down, families being split up, and those folks are all hung up on is God a boy or a girl. Hellloooo, God is God. I'm still working on staying on the path God wants me. Focusing on that issue, to me, is analogous to saying oh dear, I need a manicure when there is a range fire and every hand is needed on the burlap bags to put it out. So, putting myself on the firing line here and saying, they need to take that money, time, and attention and devote it to something worthwhile.

Elisa

View Profile
disability and dating
Posted : 25 Feb, 2011 12:52 AM

I come from a different culture. For an adult to live with the parent is actually positive rather than negative most of the time. So, within that framework, if you find a lady, are you planning on her living with you and mom? In the American culture, that could present a bit of a challenge. Are you helping your mother and taking care of her or vice versa? If you are a care giver, can you support your family, mother, wife and children included? If you are being cared for by your mother, how does she feel about the introduction of another person into her home? These are all aspects that merit consideration. As an aside, living in my own skin, I happen to know that some females can be a bit vexing (and confusing) to the world on occasion. If you are struggling with depression, are you ready to add in the stresses of a relationship with the completely logical and oh so practical opposite sex who of course speaks the same language (at least with other females)? These are just some thoughts. By no means am I advocating any course of action. You know yourself and where you are on your walk with God better than anyone else. Best wishes in your search for your heart's desire.

Elisa

View Profile
A case of cold feet?
Posted : 21 Feb, 2011 06:30 PM

Just a penny worth of thoughts...the opposing side so to speak.

I have a couple of teacher friends who have lost their retirements because of divorce. One of the ladies married a guy who divorced her 6 months later. Due to their time together, he now gets half of the retirement she worked 40 years to earn. So, while some ladies represent a threat to guys....some guys also represent a threat to the ladies.

On the other hand, I traveled with a mother of 11 children last week. When her hubby met us, he picked up her carry on and then they walked to the car holding hands. 11 children and 40 years of marriage and they still hold hands when walking. I'm thinking if a guy comes along I get serious about, those are two folks that need talking to. They have figured something out.

Elisa

View Profile
hellos
Posted : 20 Feb, 2011 08:05 PM

Ruminations.....

The guy cooks dinner and asks me to handle the clean up....maybe. If we are talking dishes, no problem. If we are talking tweezing mashed potatoes out of the electrical outlets and from between the ceiling tiles, this sounds like a two person job, so let's get cracking.

As for fixing the toilet, I can't I can however replace that sucker and have several times in various houses. Electricity issues, I have it covered. Roofing, try hard to stay away from it. Causes flashbacks to calling the fire department when my dress got hung up while I was roofing a barn. Had to call the fire department to get me down. NOT a stellar day. Fire department did enjoy themselves (at the expense of my pride). Huge sigh. Well, at least some good came from it I suppose.

Working....if one of us does not work outside the house, that one gets to work INSIDE the house. Makes sense.

Mowing lawns and gardening....sure, be happy to. Just make sure to stop up on kleenex cause I'm gonna be sicker than a dog next week.

Elisa

View Profile
Have you learned to let God write your love life story?
Posted : 20 Feb, 2011 06:52 PM

A dear friend describes the time between wishing something and God saying it is time as the waiting room. We can rush in to the office, but it is not time for our appointment. Either the person on the other side or I am not ready so rushing the schedule is like peeling the shell off a hatching chick or trying to force a rose to blossom. As a human, I cannot safely extricate the chick before it is ready to hatch nor can I pull apart the petals of a rose bud and produce a rose. God however can do both. So, his timing is perfect even while I anxiously fidget in the waiting room awaiting my turn.

Elisa

View Profile
PARTY TIME ! !
Posted : 14 Feb, 2011 09:06 PM

Feliz Cumpleanos Jjar. Couldn't find a pinata emoticon...so the dancing pickle is filling in. :)

:dancingp::dancingp::party:

Elisa

View Profile
clueless!
Posted : 11 Feb, 2011 02:57 PM

Hi there,

This fits in my convoluted brain to some musings from today. All through the day, I have run into men. Today was the doctor, dentist, grocery store, pharmacy, etc. day...where I try to pack everything into one day so don't have to miss too much work. Anyway, it started with pulling into an icy parking lot. An elderly gentleman stopped by my car and when the locks popped up, he opened the door for me. WOW!! Then, at the door to the complex, another elderly gentleman opened the door. Sitting in the waiting room, a man and his wife (if they were a day under 80, I am the next Miss America) struck up a conversation with me. He was so sweet to her and then to me. The day in town started at 8:45 and ended around 4. I don't think I opened a single door. Every man I ran into had something kind or sweet to say. The butcher at Sam's Club even invited me back to learn how to roast chickens...how cool is that? (ok, yes, I love learning, but now I also digress).

Today made me wonder if the gentlemen my age and younger have the manners of those elderly gentlemen I met today. Those men were rather fragile and some might say their best days were over, but their good manners, gentleness, and kindness made that so unimportant. I also thought how wonderful it would have been if one of those gentlemen who had opened a door and then struck up a conversation in the various locations today had been somewhere around my age. So...there is the answer to your question. Be polite, open the door, visit in a nonthreatening way with a lady you are interested in in any of the multitude of places you may meet her. And even if the lady you hold the door for is 90, she will appreciate the gesture. And who knows, your future love might just be watching and have her heart melt because of your chivalry.

Blessings on your search,

Elisa

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10