Author Thread
teach_ib

View Profile
Women, The mystery...The shoes.
Posted : 11 Aug, 2011 06:48 PM

I don't have 30 pairs of shoes...maybe 10 plus some winter and hiking boots. For work I have 2 pairs of shoes...one brown, one black. I have sandals for church and athletic shoes. I'm not very color coordinated so I stick with the basics.

I also have to be very selective in shoes...my feet are my foundation...if they're not comfy, I won't wear them! I saw my grandmother and aunts' feet and swore I would take care of my feet to avoid bunions, hammer toes, etc. So far so good!

teach_ib

View Profile
struggling with faith
Posted : 10 Aug, 2011 09:28 PM

Ella,

We wouldn't be human if we didn't struggle with faith sometimes. Often times Satan uses our past to keep us from moving forward. We can't 'fix' our past except by getting it under the blood of Christ.

If you've done something wrong, know that Chriat will forgive you...no matter what!

1 John 1:9. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive our sins, and to cleanse us from all righteousness."

If someone has wronged us, we have to forgive them even if they are not 'sorry' for what they've done. If not, bitterness can set in.

When I go through the valleys of life, I often turn to the book of Job. Despite all that happened to him, he kept his faith. I figure nothing I've been through comes close to what happened to him and his wife.

Keep praying and reading the Bible through the challenging times. God is still there for you no matter what!

Prayers and blessings to you

teach_ib

View Profile
any of you need cooling time?
Posted : 10 Aug, 2011 06:59 PM

Taking a break, walking away, etc are techniques we teach kids to avoid conflict...they apply in a relationship, too.

I used to ask for 15 minutes when I arrived home from work to transition from work mode and de-stress from sitting in DC traffic. This prevented me from 'snapping' at the wrong person.

You do have to take the time to work to resolution...don't let the sun go down on your wrath!

teach_ib

View Profile
Independance...
Posted : 10 Aug, 2011 06:46 PM

I eat lunch with 'guy friends' every day at work. I wouldn't ask permission to do that. Open and honest conversation would prevent misunderstandings. A jealous spouse is as bad as a prideful spouse.

teach_ib

View Profile
Independance...
Posted : 9 Aug, 2011 08:14 PM

Bcpianogal,

Nice explanation...

Just because I can change oil, take out trash, cook, clean, mow, etc. doesn't mean I HAVE to it all. I learned somethings out of necessity and some things because my parents thought they would good things for my brothers and sisters to know.

There are decisions that can be made without consulting your spouse and others that should not be made without talking it through and making the decision together. Marriage should not be a dictatorship...consensus should be more of the focus than either "getting their way". Men who think submission means do what I tell you are misinterpreting their Biblical role.

God equipped us all through life experiences...nothing says that men can't be the cook and the women do the yard work (I have friend who has these 'reversed' roles). Jacob & Esau had different skills...Jacob learned to cook...was a momma's boy.

teach_ib

View Profile
Spiritual Level
Posted : 9 Aug, 2011 04:49 PM

jacthaquemil

You are right in needing equality in spirituality. Not to say a stronger Christian couldn't help a less mature Christian grow but too often it's the opposite affect....the weaker Christian pulls the mature Christian down.

There are other areas that should be considered, too. Financial, educational, family background, want children/don't want children, emotional, etc. Not that any of these differences can't be overcome in a marriage, differences can introduce problems. Many premarital counseling sessions include the "compatibility tests" that identify potential differences that may become problematic if not identified and worked through.

In another thread, I mentioned "walking in the other's shoes". This figure of speech means understanding the other's perspective...thinking about how the circumstances or perspective of the other person can influence the actions, decisions, disposition, etc. Thebmore you learn about each other BEFORE the marriage and learn to work through will help when the differences arise...and they will...no matter how equal you think you are!

teach_ib

View Profile
FOR ALL YOU MEN HERE!!!
Posted : 8 Aug, 2011 09:20 PM

Do what? Generally, I respond to all notes and winks. At least say thanks for acknowledging me. When I started on these types of sites, I di what I don't usually do...read up on the common expectations....the standard was to acknowledge a greeting. You never know where it might lead...sometimes it's a friendly conversation that might keep me motivated to stay active on the site. Maybe I am an encouragement to someone else.

I make a habit of saying hi to just about everyone I pass on the street, in the hall at work, around the church, etc. This forum is very similar to that environment. Although on here, I do limit those who can send messages to me to those who do not smoke or drink and are in what I consider a reasonable age range for me...part of what I consider equally yolked.

teach_ib

View Profile
FOR ALL YOU MEN HERE!!!
Posted : 8 Aug, 2011 06:42 PM

Ironically, the person who initiated this thread is no longer a member.

I was going to check out the profile to see if she "yelled" in her profile. Using all CAPS is a negative for sure.

We all should try to be sensitive to others when sending/receiving notes. It doesn't take a lot of time to say thanks, but I don't think we have enough in common, or I'm looking for someone closer to my age, or I prefer to stay within my denomination, or some other non-threatening, non-critical statement. It's just an exchange of messages not a marriage proposal or necessarily a request for a date.

If you passed the individual on the street or attended a church service together, wouldn't you at least smile and say "hi"?

Now if it's one of those scanners....you're my soulmate, e-mail at...on the initial note...those you should ignore!

teach_ib

View Profile
For all the fun, God-loving ladies....
Posted : 7 Aug, 2011 06:58 PM

There's that preference word...

Naomi didn't tell Ruth to take action until Boaz had shown interest inher. Boaz made sure his servants didn't keep Ruth away from his filed and told them to make sure there was food for her.

Ruth left her heritage to follow the true God. She took care of her mother-in-law and listened to her advice. How many times do we ignore the advice of those with more experience to do what we want to do? Too often...for me anyways.

There are many stories of mail order brides, arranged marriages, marriages out of desperation (old west stories) of people marrying and having successful marriages. Love came later...

teach_ib

View Profile
Athletes
Posted : 7 Aug, 2011 06:47 PM

I played volleyball, softball, and bowled in several leagues. I enjoy baseball and football. I love watching the Olympics, too.

I don't think I'm typical for a female when it comes to sports. I think growing up surrounded by brothers I learned to enjoy sports. I really learned about football after I went in the Air Force....Monday morning discussions were about the weekend games. Plus we had very active intramural programs at most of the bases I worked at. Part of the unit morale centered around the seasonal sports programs.

Page : 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139