Author Thread
1jon310

View Profile
Looking for a "Gentleman"?
Posted : 7 Nov, 2013 08:22 PM

Welcome David

The more the merrier. May you find blessings that you did not know to ask for. r

1jon310

View Profile
Posted : 7 Nov, 2013 05:51 PM

IWA

You ask if I understand if I understand why God wrote the Ten Commandments in the negative.... Simple answer is "NO". I have read and listened to some of the most well know theologians of the Christian era and I have not found a unified theory from them. One of the commentators after giving their theory concluded by saying that God did not give a reason for writing the Ten Commandments in the negative so we do not really know. It is something to give thought to as there are 623 total commandments listed in scripture as noted by scholars but the majority are written as positive commands. I have my own theories but I doubt that you care to hear (read) them.

As I was commenting people about not listing traits in the negative (they not being God) I was relying on the commonly accepted understanding that a person who makes a list as they have and the list is in the positive; that is a good indicator that the person or persons are at least reasonably well and there is an absence of bitterness, anger or animosity concealed within their hearts.

Not a big deal for young people but it is a sign of a walk with the Lord when any person who has accumulated a few years. After all in this life we will have trouble. No?

Chrome

As a veteran, yes I would say that a man can be protective but not be genteel. What do you think?

You ask a good question though, if I may rephrase a little?

Is a man a gentleman if he is only a gentleman to a selected few? I would say no, because if this is a character issue then the character will remain at all times. Do you have a different view?

Anybody else? r

1jon310

View Profile
Posted : 6 Nov, 2013 08:05 PM

Ladies

I cross referenced your lists and grouped the traits that were common into groups as best I could. There were two traits that stood out because they were alone.

Protector

and

Sacrificial Love

I have long considered that being a protector was at the forefront of just being a man. Yet it was only mentioned once. Why do you think that it was not listed more often?

Sacrificial Love (Agape Love) without sacrificial Love everything is worthless (in my opinion) in society, family, church, marriage. Again only mentioned specifically once.

Why not more?

I really want to congratulate all of you. Every trait that you listed is a positive trait. No one listed any negative traits ie. he shouldn't be.... That speaks so highly of each of you and what God has done in each of your lives. Praise God.

Please clue me in on the above questions. Teach me. r

1jon310

View Profile
Posted : 4 Nov, 2013 07:48 PM

mcubed

You bring up a topic that I have had a moments to ponder over the years. I have had to explain to several of my sisters over the years that to hold a door open for woman is not a way of saying to them that they are weak or in anyway incapable. Holding a door open for a woman is an act of honoring her, much like doors are held open for royalty of visiting dignitaries. It has taken several times out and sometimes a somewhat awkward rush to get to the door ahead of them before they decided to wait and allow me to open the door for them. No offence meant to anybody, but it is confusing to most men when a woman tells us that they want respect and honor and then will not allow us to bestow upon them that same respect and honor. r

1jon310

View Profile
Modern day version of the Proverbs 31 Women........
Posted : 3 Nov, 2013 05:10 PM

Teach

Thank you for going the extra mile to break it all down for us. Much like the woman we have been studying.

The Proverbs 31 woman brings to mind a saying that I have not heard for many years.

"If we (Christians) were busy doing all the things that God has called us to do; we wouldn't have time to do the things that God has told us not to do".

She was busy doing all the things she was supposed to do.

How about us? r

1jon310

View Profile
Was it a package of sin?
Posted : 3 Nov, 2013 04:58 PM

Sissy and DHTM

It is interesting that you bring the up verse "In sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband; and he shall rule over thee.".

Several of my bibles have a footnote and one translation states "and thy desire shall be to rule over him". I have heard learned Hebrew scholars say that this is the meaning of that part of the passage. Adam and Eve sinned by listening to the serpent and eating the fruit so that they "would be like God". After the fall and the curse our desires have not changed the woman desires to be the god of man and man desires to be the god of woman.

Sissy you did well to understand my vagueness. From my experience the true femininity displayed by a woman who is secure in God and therefore herself, brings out the true masculinity of myself. In that God given masculinity I am actually more tender and caring. It is to my regret and conviction that I do not display those attributes regularly. I believe that a man who is not operating in a God given masculinity (as opposed to the hyper machismo of the world) is effectually weaker then a woman operating in her God given, true femininity. That is when you see men compensating for their weakness by abusing those in their lives who should be cherished.

I still would like to know what the deal is with the whole "package of sin" thing. r

1jon310

View Profile
Posted : 2 Nov, 2013 09:31 PM

HJMP

Did not doubt your heart for a moment. I have read enough of your posts to know you well enough. I generalize for the sake of the many on these forums. There are many who read and do not participate after all. Perhaps we may lure them into conversation, if only to disagree? r

1jon310

View Profile
Posted : 2 Nov, 2013 07:44 PM

Hello Ladies

After reading many profiles and several forum posts, I decided to research what a "Gentleman" was. As it turns out there is no standard as to what character traits a man would posses to be labeled a "Gentleman". The only commonality is that he be respectful of women. But I have talked with enough women over the years to know that there is not a standard as to what a woman considers being respectful.

So Ladies I pose this to you. Make a simple list of the qualities of a "Gentleman" and what you consider is respectful behavior toward you.

Thank You for clueing us in. r

1jon310

View Profile
fear of growing old alone
Posted : 2 Nov, 2013 06:35 PM

puppy

What mcubed wrote. She nailed it. Sincerely sorry to hear about the death of your wife.

In my marriage, I was lonely when we were laying in bed together. When I fast I use hunger pains to remind me to pray. When I start to feel loneliness to infringe on my life, I know that it is a sign that I need to draw closer to Jesus. Whatever your case I trust that Jesus is near to you, a friend closer then a brother and I pray that He manifests His presence in your life. r

1jon310

View Profile
Posted : 2 Nov, 2013 06:04 PM

As a Post Script

It was said that the Proverbs 31 woman was a workhorse.

Martin Luther is well know for teaching about how our work is an act of worship and honoring to God. In our society it is rare to see anybody work hard. Christians should stand out in the work place because of our hard work. Because we are to " work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." Col.3:23

I attend a church were the average age of congregants is about 20 years older then I am. They are retired and from all appearances are sitting around waiting for death or the rapture whichever comes first. This is not scriptural. Paul told us to run so as to win the race. Me, I would rather work hard until I die in worship to my Lord then be useless to Jesus. To quote music lyrics "it's better to burn out then fade away". Burn brightly for Jesus Ya'll. r

Page : 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19