Author Thread
1jon310

View Profile
I need prayer and help
Posted : 24 Dec, 2013 05:14 PM

Jenny My Dear Sister

I was talking with a co-worker several years back about one of my hobbies. After our discussion was over I realized that I was getting as excited about my hobby as I was about worshiping God. The hobby had become an idol and I confessed it as an idol. So I asked God for forgiveness and told Him that I would not participate in this hobby again if it came between Him and i. It was several years until I became involved in this hobby again. Now it is a minor distraction and one that God uses to get me involved in other peoples lives so that I can build relationships to better share the Gospel.

May our Lord Jesus grant your request for strength, blessing you with right relationships that build you up and Glorify His name

r

1jon310

View Profile
Ok John....
Posted : 23 Dec, 2013 05:30 PM

Your story is a good example. We can put a carrot on a stick to lead a horse but we cannot me the horse go after it.

I gave up on trying to match people to better jobs and even trying to get some of my friends together because I think that they would be good friends as well. It's like trying to push that horse previously mentioned. I either get tired from trying to push the horse or I get kicked in the mouth.

For better or worse we are judged by the friends we have. When people see our friends flake out the people think that we are flaky as well.

Matching people, works for some but they must have a special gift for it. I most certainly do not have such a gift.

I have been slowly reading a book for several years now. One of the points raised in the book is that if we try to convince someone that they are better then they currently see themselves they will sabotage the efforts we make so that they will not have to deal with the personal discomfort of seeing themselves differently.

I have a fellow working for me that is in this mindset. He has great potential but sabotages everything done to help him reach a higher level of competence in his job performance. Then he blames everyone else for not doing well. He may not be with the company much longer because of this. r

1jon310

View Profile
Idolitry?
Posted : 22 Dec, 2013 07:08 PM

My family was more important to me then God and I did not realize it until they were gone. Much pain involved.

So my question to you all, men and women is.....

How do YOU know that YOU have crossed the line and now your spouse or your search for a spouse has become idolatrous? r

1jon310

View Profile
Ok John....
Posted : 21 Dec, 2013 07:35 PM

My Dear Sis

I'm going to try and boil my answer down to a simple answer for my sake. Hope that it is enough.

I believe that every person that we meet or in any way interact with is influenced by us and we are influenced by them. Of course the next question is whether that is a good or bad influence.

Beyond influencing another person the next question is if we are in any way trying control the other person through overt or covert methods.

Throughout the Bible I see a God who did not cancel out our free will but instead offered us options and then told us the consequences for those actions, good or bad. This is an expression of His fair and just nature. What better example could we have to follow?

I hope that this answers you to your satisfaction. If not you know where to find me.

r

1jon310

View Profile
Teaching Thinking
Posted : 19 Dec, 2013 07:46 PM

We can teach people to memorize Bible verses. We can teach them doctrine. We may even be able to teach them to follow rules. :( But how do we teach people to think for themselves, to actually think in anything other then clich�s?

Or worse use Bible verses as empty clich�s? r

1jon310

View Profile
How to Accept a Compliment With Class
Posted : 19 Dec, 2013 07:35 PM

No. I can occasionally say thank you. Most of the compliments that have been directed my way have been attempts to manipulate me. So no I fight the sin of cynicism now. r

1jon310

View Profile
Dating out of selflessness?
Posted : 17 Dec, 2013 08:30 PM

It is perplexing that the focus is on the parenting part of the question but yet the question itself does not receive an answer. Perhaps to look at this from another way.

IF we are Christians and IF we believe that the Bible is God's authoritative word? Then why do we not approach dating and all of our relationships with the motive to build the other person up instead of finding out what we can take from the other person or what they can do to make our lives better? Why do we think that we can wait to display 1Cor.13 Love until we get married without practicing Agape Love with everybody? Jesus told us that the world would know that we are His by the way that we love one another. So why not "date" in a manner that will instill something of God into the other persons life. Or to put it another way... Jesus put more into every relationship then He ever received back. He told us that we would do the things that He had done.... So why do we not do this?

I'm at a loss. r

1jon310

View Profile
Dating out of selflessness?
Posted : 16 Dec, 2013 06:56 PM

All right I see that the concept is missed here.

Dating your daughter has nothing to do with romance. It entails taking out your little girl and treating her as a lady while conducting yourself as a gentleman. Opening doors, pulling out her chair, spoiling her, focusing your attention upon her only. Showing her the respect that women deserve to be shown. This way when she goes out on real dates she will have something to measure her suitors against. She will then be able to recognize the shallow, misogynists, the users and posers before she is hurt by them. She should see you treating her mother this way as well but her mother may not be around for some reason. Most girls fall for guys who are representatives of their father. Why not set the bar high. This is NOT about being their "friend."

My children have all done things that make me proud of them. My oldest daughter while living with her mother was allowed to go out on a date. The boy tried to take a kiss and she slapped him. While slapping him is debatably appropriate I was proud of her for not allowing him to take from her what she did not want to give.

So the real question was and is.... Do we as men of God take a woman out and treat her with such care and respect that even if that relationship does not work out; we will have set the bar so high that she will not accept the interest of the average jerk that just wants to use her for his own desires? Or do we just continue the legacy of men treating women as doormats?

So what do you think?

r

1jon310

View Profile
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posted : 15 Dec, 2013 12:11 AM

From Casper. Your age filter will not let me through.

r

1jon310

View Profile
Relationship with God
Posted : 14 Dec, 2013 10:30 PM

Amen

Our relationship with God should not be just slightly above other relationships. But above all.

r

Page : 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17