Author Thread
1jon310

View Profile
Modern day version of the Proverbs 31 Women........
Posted : 2 Nov, 2013 05:43 PM

HJMP

There are books and sermons on this. I like things condensed. Looking at the verses you cited.

31:13 She worked diligently, she made sure that her family was clothed.

31:14 provides food for her family

31:16 Shrewd in business/handling of families finances and affairs

31:17 She is strong in her feminity, not making excuses

If modern society cannot fit itself to a proverbs 31 woman then society needs to changes not the woman. Scripture doe not need to change we need to allow scripture to change us.

1Kings 9:1 tells us that Solomon built the temple and the palace. We know from the rest of scripture that he oversaw thousands as they built the temple. Using scripture to interpret scripture we can believe that the Proverbs 31 woman oversaw a household of servants. This means that she was a trustworthy woman in all that she did. Her husband trusted her and she proved his trust was put in the right place. Juxtapose this against Potifer's wife. She did not earn his trust so he put a foreign slave in charge of his household. How many wives or husbands for that matter can be trusted wholeheartedly by their spouse? How often does one have to hide the checkbook from the other because one of them cannot be trusted to not compulsively buy a new pair of shoes or a fishing rod?

No we need to apply this and all scripture to our own lives and strive to live up to it. When we fail we have a redeemer in Jesus who picks us up and gives us another opportunity to try again. If we nullify scripture making it easier to lower God's standards then we are effectually saying that we don't need Jesus. Vilify me if you like but I need the PERFECT word of God to remind me that I'm not all that otherwise my pride will run amok. r

1jon310

View Profile
Was it a package of sin?
Posted : 2 Nov, 2013 05:05 PM

Sissy

Oh by the way... "Package of sin". I don't know where that comes from. Sounds like a misogynists words of fear. Sadly I have heard some teachers promote such thinking of Eve and her daughters. Such a person should be gently corrected and failing repentance on their part, removed from their position and or never listened to again. r

1jon310

View Profile
Was it a package of sin?
Posted : 2 Nov, 2013 04:58 PM

OK Sissy

Let us start with some commentaries from some who posses more wisdom and eloquence then I.

Barnes

It was their proper duty to render all honor to their wives, and to live with them as fellow-heirs of salvation, that their prayers might not be hindered.

Adam Clarke

Being more delicately, and consequently more slenderly constructed. Roughness and strength go hand in hand; so likewise do beauty and frailty. The female has what the man wants-beauty and delicacy. The male has what the female wants-courage and strength. The one is as good as the other: and by these things God has created equality between man and woman, so that there is properly very little superiority on either side.

John Wesley

Knowing that they are weak, and therefore to be used with all tenderness. Yet do not despise them for this, but give them honor-Both in heart, in word, and in action; as those who are called to be joint heirs of that eternal life and which ye and they hope to receive by the grace of God.

The feminism of today tells us that women are superior to men and are therefore to be more like men. Men are inferior to women and are therefore to be more like women.

Scripture tells us that men and women were created together in the image of God. Each, the true feminine and the true masculine work in harmony to reflect the full image of God to the world. This is one of the reasons that marriage is so important to God. Further the evil one hates that a wife should submit to her husband because in submitting to her husband the wife reflects for all to see the submission of Jesus to the Father by going to the cross.

When we read the commentaries of old we need to remember that the words that they used meant different things to them in their time then the same words do now. Society and in particular political interests have hijacked certain words to promote their causes. Before we take offence at what they said we need to make an effort to understand them and their time. Just as we need to do the same thing with scripture.

Some of my understanding

I heard once of how the speaker had attended a feminists conference. He listened to all the teachings of how men were inferior and women could do everything better then men. At the end of the conference he approached her and asked: if she spoke at a conference in a high crime area of a large city: would she feel safer walking to her car while accompanied by an average woman or an average man? She replied the man.

Sister, and Ladies, I readily admit that we men (generally speaking, Don't get your undies all bunched up guys) have failed to protect you and treat you with the honor that you deserve as co-heirs in Christ. But there is strength in being feminine. There are women bigger and stronger then me, I concede. But in the natural order of things, any good man would give his life to protect any woman. Not because she is weaker in a bad way but because she is weaker in the way that a delicate piece of art is weak. As such, she should be treasured and held with respect and honor.

There it is Sissy. Now let the critics words fly. r

1jon310

View Profile
need to comment?
Posted : 1 Nov, 2013 04:37 PM

DHTM

My hat is off to you for your wisdom to wait for another man to post first. :applause: r

1jon310

View Profile
I know this topic of discussion.......
Posted : 31 Oct, 2013 09:31 PM

Walk Alone

No disagreements here that the Bible trumps personal feelings. I believe that my Sister is not asking about what is permitted within scripture, she is asking about a standard for men to meet for her to consider them for marriage not if they are going to hell for having a drink. Most people have some standards that are not in the bible. Muscular, they have a job, physically active, bookworm, etc...... the list is long. This isn't legalistic unless a person is basing their salvation on it. She isn't. Let God tell her how to identify the correct spouse the He has chosen for her. May the Lord bring Unity to us . r

1jon310

View Profile
I know this topic of discussion.......
Posted : 31 Oct, 2013 08:40 PM

HJMP

Really did not want to jump into this thread but some feel so strongly about their take on whether drinking is biblically right or not, I thought that I would weigh in.

If you feel that God is leading you to make not drinking a part of your requirements for an acceptable spouse. Then that is it. Only you can hear God for you. Jesus is the only Priest and mediator. r

1jon310

View Profile
Virgin: I'm Curious, Why Do Guys Ask..
Posted : 31 Oct, 2013 07:14 PM

Apostelle

One of the things that I admire about two virgins being wed "Biblical Conformity and God's will most important" is that they will not have to live with the inevitable comparisons with their former and current bed partners.

r

1jon310

View Profile
Sex before marriage?
Posted : 31 Oct, 2013 07:07 PM

CAT...

Good post.

Testing...

It's not only guys who pressure anymore. Set boundaries. Any person who won't respect your boundaries before marriage, will not respect boundaries within marriage.

r

1jon310

View Profile
A little help please!.........
Posted : 31 Oct, 2013 05:58 PM

Sissy

Sorry for missing that post. I do not read all of the threads and some when I do read... I see where the conversation is heading and do not think that I have anything to add or that my input would be appropriate. I enjoy interacting with ya'll most of the time but I have this voice in my head telling me "it's not about me" most of the time. So I read and try to learn and pray.

Hope that's OK. r

1jon310

View Profile
Would you rather....
Posted : 31 Oct, 2013 05:50 PM

S&S

Personally I respond to everybody that messages me.

From the other side. The Lord has accepted me and I rejoice in that knowledge so I do not take it to heart if someone rejects me here or in life anymore. If when interacting with them I am acting like myself and they reject me then I deserve it. If I am following the Lord at the time I take as they are rejecting Him. Either way a learning experience for me.

There was one person who viewed my profile around twenty times, I messaged her asking what I could do to be a blessing and did not receive any answer. God knows what happened.

I am so sorry that you received hateful things from other men. We shouldn't be like that ever. On the plus side you saw their true person.

r

Page : 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19